Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a little update; left the mh on shore power overnight and until around 1:30 pm today. Just went out, and cranked up the gen. It's running! Yeah! So what I'm thinking is that there is some sort of "parasitic" drain on my system somewhere. And can someone tell me if that is fairly common? I guess that as someone had suggested, that when not in use, disconnecting the battery would be a good thing unless hooking up to shore power.... I'm still going to get my charging system checked out just to be on the safe side....Thanks again to all who helped. Also, would like to hear comparable stories.....just so I don't feel like it's only my bad luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Parasitic loads are very common. CO, LP detectors, LED indicators, lots of them. Also, a battery will discharge over time all by itself. Even a battery disconnect switch sometimes doesn't cut off everything, according to how they're wired. A solar cell on the roof to maintain battery charge is the best bet if you can't leave it on shore power. Keeping the batteries charged goes a long way to increase battery life and performance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #17

As a side note, on my Class C Winnebago product, I have to connect the shore power cord from the motorhome into the 30 Amp outlet inside the cord storage bay in order for the power from the genset to get to the batteries. You have to plug the cord into either shore power or the genset outlet, one or the other.

Don't know if your Class C is similar but if it is, you running the genset waiting for AAA didn't charge your batteries at all.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Well, after running the gen for 3.5 hours, one of those with a load; I turned it off, and then immediately tried to restart the gen....slow cranked then nothin', so I guess that means that for sure it is like your Winnie, and was not getting any charge during that time......I plugged it back into shore power for the night.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You haven't said how old your batteries are or their condition. Sounds to me that you likely have a battery issue. If the battery is over 4 years old and/or has been drained (dead) more than a couple of times, it is likely done. Under these conditions, a battery will appear to charge but will fizzle when any load is put on it.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Could it be a bad connection of the battery cable at the generator itself? That could cause slow cranking even with a fully charged battery.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Well, I've only owned the old gal for just a little over a year, and the guy I bought her from didn't tell me how old the "house" battery is, although I have kept up with keeping the distilled water in it and stuff. I bought a new chassis battery shortly after I bought the rig. I guess I'd better start saving some pennies to buy a new house battery. ugh!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Get a battery tester first, before you buy the battery. Inexpensive eye dropper type of tester from auto parts store. It'll tell you condition of each cell. Only really good way of knowing batteries condition.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Will do.....I'll see about getting one today. Thanks.

Tags
batteries