Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Like RickO and other responders, we are travelers and out to experience as much of the country as possible. We find state and federal parks have more spacious and private sites, but we have difficulty fitting in since most were designed before the average MH became much larger. If those are the types of parks you would like to use most I suggest not going OBE about 35' for your coach.

That said we will stay at a commercial CG near the parks we are interested I'd we think we can't fit, and see the park in our toad. We have yet to spend more than a week in one spot, so we are usually out of the CG all day and come home tired and looking to just relax. As such, we need no amenities and would likely not use them if they were there.

Bill Burgner, '05 Journey, 350 CAT
'05 Wrangler LJR, Blue Ox Aventa, Air Force One
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry, thumb hit the send button and the system would not let me edit that last post to complete it.

What I wanted to say was that you can tailor where you stay based on your goals. If you are planning to spend very little time at a park you can stand the closeness. If you are going to stay for an extended period you can find a more spacious setting. Many do boondock, usually on federal land and that seems more plentiful out west.

You do have the flexibility with a motorhome to tailor the experience to what suits you, even staying in a family or friends backyard.

I hope you have a great time!

Bill Burgner, '05 Journey, 350 CAT
'05 Wrangler LJR, Blue Ox Aventa, Air Force One
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
The pluses of RVing are as you stated and we hate to travel without the coach. We just made a mini trip over last weekend without the coach and realized how spoiled we are. That said when we travel we have stayed over night at Wally world, and have stayed in RV parks. I hear you when you say cramped quarters and being jammed in between other rv's. Places like that we only stay at for a night or two, and have usually been able to find something better. It's an adventure and finding a good spot is all part of it. As someone else suggested, you may want to rent one for a trip and experience for yourself what it is like before you jump in at $100k. Good luck.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Unless you already like the great outdoors and really enjoy meeting people, you will hate RVing. It is not a lifestyle for everyone, thank goodness. It requires a commitment in time and material (RV) that not a lot of folks are ready to accept. My dads third wife simply did not understand how people could sit in the dirt and watch a camp fire and enjoy it. But she thought it was fun to go to the most expensive stores in town and spend hours looking at clothes. Personally I cannot wait till the S&B is sold so we can downsize to smaller and have more time and resources to travel.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
It's not the campground or parking lot for us. We're well off enough to purchase a very nice DP and it is the destination

I been in every state and in most of the major national parks. My DW has travelled very little...so for me it is showing her some of the things I've been fortunate to see and do ... like hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim, Alaskan Highway in 1966 (it'll be interesting to see haw the wilderness has changed, or hasn't), Yellowstone, Grand Titons, Glacier.

And it is about both of seeing some of the things neither of us have seen, like Yosemite. Park in wine country both North and South of San Fran.

It's the destination without the timetable...pure and simple
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
Where do you go if you want to avoid those kind of places? Can you just overnight where ever you want? Seems unlikely and possibly dangerous.
Well, as stated in my previous post, we usually overnight in RV parks, some nicer than others, and so far in 17 years RV'ing we've never felt insecure about our personal saftey or experienced any dangerous conditions while overnighting.

If you have any friends or acquaintances where you live who have RV's, some of your concerns about the RV lifestyle perhaps may be better answered by them based on their experiences.

Best regards,
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife says, I have my own bed and bath and I know who's been in both of them. That is #1. Having everything (binoculars, camera, etc.)right at hand and being able to take them with you is second. being able to pull over at anytime and rest or eat. Setting up in a upright position (as opposed to sitting on your spine in a car.) Having your head at almost 9 ft off the highway, and being able to see everything. Staying on the beach in a RV for $28.00 while friends stay at a rough motel for $200.00 per night. Pulling into a rest area and seeing some seedy people and not having to get out to use the bathroom. Priceless!
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by DSL417
It's the destination without the timetable...pure and simple
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4231404557.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	29482

X2 X2
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #23
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The DW and I live on a limited income and rent out our house. (paid for) We live in a comfortable MH (paid for) and are able to stay in beautiful places that are, hopefully, warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Steve, Mary & Buddy our 2-year-old Chihuahua mix
1995 36' HR Endeavor, 460 w/Banks, 2005 PT Cruiser
Fulltimers originally from Michigan, hanging out in Oregon for a spell.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
Perhaps I should add a little background for perspective so you'll be better able to comment on my particular situation.

My father was a diplomat and we lived all over the world but never in one place for longer than three years. I raced on a national level for two decades and probably drove cross country dozens of times. I have no desire to travel outside the US again but do want to see all the great and wonderful things in this country that I never had the time to see when I was rushing from one track to another.

I love my house and the weather in Florida...resort living year round but, would like to escape the worst of the heat too and see all those things I mentioned. I also like my privacy and peace and quiet. So does the DW. I'll admit I was put off by the stereotype which is why I joined the forum to find this is one of the most enjoyable forums I've been on.

I looked into renting a DP for three months and the cost was about the same as the cost to buy used and sell a year later and they weren't near as nice. Right now, we're still looking hard and will probably pull the trigger if we find the right one at the right price. The worst thing is we'll have an adventure, lose a little money, and maybe find we really enjoy it.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
The biggest thing for us in the new places we go to and see. Second is we are in our own home on wheels. We know who slept in the bed the night before. We can go when we please and leave when we please. Plus we have always met the nicest people at the RV parks we have stayed at. For us it is no better way to travel.
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
As you can see by my signature, I don't think my RV should duplicate my home. That said, for me it is the best way to travel & photograph out-of-the-way places throughout the US & Canada. While only 17', it has all the comforts of a full size trailer, but in a very compact package.

I've previously tent camped during my travels, and find the trailer far more comfortable, particularly for avoiding packing up a wet tent & 2:00AM trips to a campground bathroom.

I've hauled the trailer 33,000 miles in the last 2 years, staying in many of the smaller National & State Park campgrounds throughout the US & Canada, something that would not have been possible with either motels or a larger RV.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
Lots of different types of RVing out there. We are fulltimers and we stay 90% of our time in public parks (State Parks, National Forest, BLM etc.) where there is plenty of green and space. Other times we'll boondock and in rare cases we'll stay at a private park if there's a particular appeal.

You can have a look at my blog (in the signature) for the types of spots we stay. LOTS of nature involved in our RVing
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
Sitting here in a sc state park. Plenty of space between sites, plenty of trees, quiet. No walmarts for us, no wall to wall RV campgrounds either. Nice places, good folk, just a good place to hookup, sit back, and enjoy.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote