Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

Explorer USA Liability Release

When did Dealers start having you sign a Liability Release to purchase from them? We were ready to make the deal, a cash deal by the way on a 2015 Heartland 3160EL and the sales man took us into a room so we could "read along" with a CD explaining that the dealer is not responsible for any issues that may arise with the unit regardless of what the sales people may have promised or offered, or what anyone in service may have told us. If there was anything missed in the PDI or not brought to their attention before we took delivery, we were on our own and we were responsible to get the manufacture to fix the issue. If anyone at the dealer gave us incorrect information on the Proper Use, Maintenance or Correct Function of Controls, If the RV is damaged or someone is hurt, because of what or how they instructed us to use the equipment, they are not liable. I get the fact that it is a Manufacture Warranty and how it all works, this is our 4th RV over the years, all purchased new. They can not tell you or show you how to operate the basics of the equipment incorrectly and not take some type of responsibility for their action. They are getting paid a lot of money for little or no effort. This is what they choose to do in life, take responsibility for your actions and stop throwing blame on someone else. You do not have to turn your hard earned money over to a company that has this type of policy and treat customers this way. Their not the only place selling this product. Take a stand against the "Used Car Salesman" mentality of this and other dealers.

Ok now I feel better!
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Feet, do your thing. Get me out of here would be my response.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

Adios ! This is someone that wantsnothing to do with your RV after the sale. What you see and hear is what you are getting and in for.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #4

They what you to agree to let them toss you out or rip you off.

Ask them to borrow that cd and send a copy to the manufacturer.

One may assume the manufacturer expects the dealers to support their product after sale.

If manufacturer is okay with it run as they do not have supporting dealer network so warranty service will be big problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And if you refuse to sign? Do you have a binding sales contract already signed? Would be interesting to see their reactions. I would tend to agree with walking away, especially if they did not discuss this up front and are springing this on you at the 11th hour.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Did you complete the sale???
Old 05-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
What they are saying is: Give me your money, take the rv, and go away never to darken our door step again.

Kinda krappy business practice in my opinion.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post
Did you complete the sale???
^^Yeah, this. And what is the name of this dealer?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The deal would be terminated on the spot. I don't have to put up with garbage like that.

I would loudly tell the dealer to take this contract and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #10

The dealer is Explorer USA. They have several locations in Texas. We did make quite a loud exit, the salesman and GM following trying to explain their side and how it is all industry standard practice. The company owner called us to explain how he has to protect himself, he has a lot of employees and can not be liable for what they might tell customers??? It's his policy and if we don't like it too bad. No we did not make the purchase, we are looking at other options now. We like the 3160EL layout, length, weights. We may have to go to another state to get that exact unit. We just never heard of this before, thought we would ask and see what the standard is.

P.S. We just purchased our new RAM 3500 on a handshake and the dealer went across the state to get the one we wanted. It cost almost as much as the Heartland!
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have purchased from Explore and they are an OK dealer (Not Great). I think what is happening here in Texas has been a long prosperous run. They have all been selling RV's faster than the manufacturers could supply them. The oil field industry helped create this boom and will ultimately bring it down, as it has many times in the past.

Add that to the fact that there is virtually no available labor force in Texas. As an employer, I can tell you 1st hand that the level of skill at every position, from the basic laborer to the highly skilled technician or operator, is the lowest in history. This also holds true into the professional fields of engineers, architects, and many others.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
The dealer is Explorer USA. They have several locations in Texas. We did make quite a loud exit, the salesman and GM following trying to explain their side and how it is all industry standard practice. The company owner called us to explain how he has to protect himself, he has a lot of employees and can not be liable for what they might tell customers??? It's his policy and if we don't like it too bad. No we did not make the purchase, we are looking at other options now. We like the 3160EL layout, length, weights. We may have to go to another state to get that exact unit. We just never heard of this before, thought we would ask and see what the standard is.

P.S. We just purchased our new RAM 3500 on a handshake and the dealer went across the state to get the one we wanted. It cost almost as much as the Heartland!
It might be standard practice at the dealership, but I have never heard such garbage. I have purchased RV's in 5 different states and have never run across this little gem. And I highly doubt it would hold up in a lawsuit for damages unless Texas has some very different laws. And I would strongly suggest you contact the Manufacturer with the details and let them know why you did not use this dealer.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would read them this speech:

The buyer is not responsible for paying for a RV that does not work and your release request says you have no confidence in the products you sell, thus the Buyer feels that there is a very high chance it will fail soon as I get it off your lot and the BUYER will be stuck with the repairs.

THUS... The buyer will find a dealer more confident in his products to buy from.. Good day.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
Community Administrator

I like that approach.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote