Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ext-cord 50amp or 30amp

I want to get an extension cord for my motorhome which is 50 amp should I get a 50 or 30 amp cord. The cord is just to have incase i need one.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

You almost could use two. The 30 amp is a LOT cheaper than the 50 amp. If you are at a campground that only has 30 amp service all you will need is a 30 amp cord and the right adaptors. A 50 amp cord is expensive, big, and heavy. But....if you need to get to the 50 amp service, you will need it. You could also use a 50 amp cord if you only have 30 amp campground service with the right adaptor.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
50 amp

We had an underground 50 amp cord run from the breaker box at our house to near the street. The box by the street is covered with a hollow fake rock. Now we can run anything in the coach, all at the same time, and never worry about blowing a breaker. We used this 50 amp set-up because of our 105+ summers so that we could run our basement air and the added roof air and the fridge during the evening when loading up for the morning trip. Sure, we could have skimped and gotten away with a 30 amp cord for just the basement air, but if your are going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time. I talked to another neighbor who saw what we did and they said that with the labor charge for burying the cord, etc it made sense to go all the way. I guess it depends on how long you expect to use this type of hookup. We plan this as our last house until we assume room temperature.

If this is just for a campground, I can't imagine the electrical box being so far away that your regular cord from the MH wouldn't reach. They come about 36 feet long as a standard.

Happy trails, Joe
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you want to run every electrical appliance in the motorhome at the same time , a 30 amp extension cord will be more than enough. Your monitoring system will adjust your amperage use when you go into 30 or even 20 amp mode. Keep an eye on Craigs List or browse the garage sale circuit for an exceptional deal on one.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have both 50 and 30 amp extensions..

The 30 amp is lighter, and easier to wrangle, but the 50 amp carries more current.

Since your rig is 50 amp, If you plan on having only one, I'd go for 50.

I find that I almost never need an extension cord.. but when I do, Well it is nice to have it.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had seventy five feet of #6-4 wire for before I had my gen tran was installed for the house. After the gen tran was installed I switched the plugs and made a 50 amp extension cord for the motor. I don't carry it all the time due to it's size and weight. If I think there might be a chance I need it I toss it in a compartment. Like a lot of things, it sure is nice to have when you need it. Between that and the motor home cord I figure I have about a 125' stretch. I don't know how many times I have attended parking lot rallies and was able to find a 50 amp plug to run both air conditioner compressors.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #7

I vote for the 50 amp extension. I have one and have used it on several occasions. Usually it will be in an older park that has upgraded their electric and you either park close to the sewer connection or close to the power source. I would rather park closer to the sewer connection.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
paz

A 30-amp extension is a lot lighter and cheaper than a 50. IMO, you can make do without using 50 amps for the few occasions you do need an extension. We carry a 30-amp extension cord, and in over 5 years of full-timing, we have only used the extension once or twice.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
If you RV in Texas in the summertime, it's a no brainer - 50 AMPS!! Otherwise, if you can get by with 30 amps, good for you. I guess it depends if you're willing to compromise with a cheaper, lighter 30 amp cord when you don't have to if you carry the 50 amp extension cord.

Ya pays yore money and ya takes yore choice.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #10

Let's see here... You have a motorhome that is setup for 50 amp service which generally means you have a very nice rig that cost a lot of money. You are looking for a extension cord for those occasions where you need the extra length. Pay the extra bucks and get a cord that matches the specs for your coach. There are 50 amp cords on ebay right now for $80 and below.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You've seen all the opinions here- I say the 30a. is all you need- much cheaper, easier to handle, etc. It just depends on what you need to run in there. This is pretty easy for me to say because I've not ever ventured into the 50a. world and so I don't know any better.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would go for the 50 amp extension, and purchase a 30 amp dogbone adapter, then you would have the best of both worlds. A word of caution, those 50 amp extensions are STIFF hard to rollup into a compact roll, and are pretty heavy. I have never been in a situation where a 50 amp extension was needed.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #13

50A is what I bought. Remember you are really asking if you should buy a 30A or 100A (50A*2). So, there's a big difference in capacity. Of course, regardless of whtehr you carry an extension cord you should at least have a 50A to 30A adapter.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
The longer you make the cable the more the voltage drop will be. Especially if you plan to run two A/C's at that distance it's better for your equipment to have a 50 amp cable. If you are going to get a cable get one you will always be able to use. Also if for some reason you damage your primary 50 amp cable you have a spare.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote