Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Extend-A-Stay hookup

We are camped in one spot through September due to a job. After running out of propane in two months this Spring in our 1998 Itaska Suncruiser (ran heater a lot) I decided that the Extend- A-Stay with an external propane tank would allow us not to have to unhook the rig to drive 2 miles to refill our MH propane tank then reverse the process. Since we are 80 miles from the nearest MH dealer, I plan on doing the hookup of the system myself. Have any of you ever done this to an Itaska? Thanks!

Mt Man (a newbee to this forum)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not on your make but I have done it

Step 1: Remove plastic cover from over Regulator and set aside, We may wish to make some modifications to things by the way More on that later.

Step 2: Very important TURN OFF GAS, now light stove and let it burn out

Step 3: Remove Regulator assembly from tank, NOTE This is a LEFT HAND THREAD so right turn to loosen.

Step 4: Install Extend-a-stay ON tank

Step 5: Install Regulator to Extend-a-stay.

Now, using whatever material you like (Metal, Plastic, Wood) You may need to extend the bottom of the shield bracket (The flat metal "Floor" under the valves) a bit to the right. THen re-drill s needed and re-place the plastic cover.

It may be held on with plastic push pins.

Open main tank valve SLOWLY, check for leaks (Should be none) and re-light stove for a couple of minutes to purge air out of the line.

That's about it.

NOTE: The Genuine Extend-a-stay and I believe (but have never checked) contain check valves so gas flows ONLY into the motor home, No gas flows from your portable to the main tank or the other way around, If you disconnnect the hose with the main valve open no gas escapes from the assembly, only from the hose.

CHECK THE PACKAGE: I seem to recall mention of an excess flow vavle on the package, Which is why the word "SLOWLY" following open the valve.

This is, a very nice safety feature if it's there.. Not all tanks have them. (Some do, my portable is supposed to I'm told)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

X2
And John's right, you cannot backfill the main tank.

On mine I ran some plumbers tape from an upper support and grabbed the regulator to give it support. Thats a long and heavy assembly you now have bouncing around

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just take the line out of the tank and hook it to the portable propane bottle. I bring the two 20# bottles I have for my BBQ pit at home and stay the whole winter in Florida.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
While in Florida this past winter there were two propane companys that made stops in our park almost daily and filled tanks where we sat. Have you checked with local propane dealers to see if they offered that service?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree it looks like a long had heavy assembly when you are done but I installed my Extend-a-stay six years go, Have driven From Michigan to California and back by differing routes, Have gone down roads better suited to mountain goats than Class A's. have driven to South Carolina twice and a good portion of eastern Lower Michigan. Have been full timing for the last two years, and no problems to date.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cut a piece of 1 X 4 so it was a slight press fit between the Extend a Stay and the metal floor below the tank. I used a little silicon adhesive caulk between the wood and metal. It is very stable now and there is no stress on the unit.

I had used it for probably 20,000 miles with no trouble but it always bothered me so I fixed it.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wrap threads with gas pipe tape or pipe dope not plumbers tape. Gas/propane tape is yellow. Do not use white tape. After check for leaks with a leak soap. Home depot sells both the tape and soap for a couple of bucks.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

I did the same thing as speedracer this February in Santa Cruz, CA. Driveway was a b@#@h to get in and out of so I used a 5 gallon tank and made a trip to the gas station every 4 or 5 days.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_64
Wrap threads with gas pipe tape or pipe dope not plumbers tape. Gas/propane tape is yellow. Do not use white tape. After check for leaks with a leak soap. Home depot sells both the tape and soap for a couple of bucks.
Those are standard POL compression fittings. Teflon is not needed and probably discouraged

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have NEVER seen anyone use tape or any type of pipe dope on the threads of a POL fitting, For one thing the threads have nothing to do with the seal, it's made elsewhere, Not like water pipe or black iron pipe where the threads do seal.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff

Those are standard POL compression fittings. Teflon is not needed and probably discouraged
Sorry, your right. Did mine so long ago that I forgot they were compression fittings.

Needed Teflon for the regulator replacement, guess I jumped the gun a bit.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
X2.

I have my extend a stay valve between the shut-off valve and the regulator. You do not need to put plumbers tape on it.

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote