Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Extended waranties?

Looking to upgrade to a Class A and wondering about the extended warranties. What thoughts or experiences have you had with Good Sams extended warranties or Interstate Star RV warranties? Is there another company worth looking into?

Thanks for your input... and Happy New Year to all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you use the forum search function at the top of the page, you'll find dozens of threads discussing this topic. Good luck!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM311 View Post
Looking to upgrade to a Class A and wondering about the extended warranties. What thoughts or experiences have you had with Good Sams extended warranties or Interstate Star RV warranties? Is there another company worth looking into?

Thanks for your input... and Happy New Year to all.

Personally I don't mind when a question that has been asked before is posted again as I haven't been a member that long so wasn't able to add my two cents before

My DH and I purchased a DP this summer that is 10yrs young. We went back and forth on the extended warranty. We looked at the unit we loved and the maintenance we could see had not been kept up as well as the original items that were still on the coach and decided that an extended warranty was worth the gamble. We went with Star RV.

Since we purchased the unit in July we have had the back up camera replaced (and upgraded to one with side view cameras), had one of the a/c units replaced, had the invertor die and replaced, had the step slide fixed, had the tv system repaired (cables had corroded and had to be repulled), plus a couple of smaller items. We also were reimbursed for our hotel stay and food for three days. So far in the first four months we have had $3200 of our repairs paid for from the warranty company and the whole warranty was $3700. We also still have almost 3 years left.

Read what they cover very carefully and submit for everything. This is not like insurance where they report you and then charge you crazy fees the rest of your life. Never be afraid to ask. We weren't going to submit for the camera but the repair shop knew that this was covered and thanks to the heads up we received a check for the camera we purchased online as well as the labor to be installed up in Indiana.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When evaluating the different warranties be sure to look for an exclusionary policy vs. inclusionary. Also get a consequential damages rider.

If these terms are unfamiliar to you let me know and I'll give you more detail. Googling the terms is a better bet as I am not a warranty guru, but glad to help if you need it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to read this thread, lots of information and research in it. Opinions of these Service Contract Providers
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember: they are not "warranties" they are a contract. You have to abide by the contract specifications including required maintenance and record keeping.
I do my own maintenance and after 12 years with this rig about the only claim we could have gotten anything for (if we had purchased one) was the refer cooling unit. I figured we've saved at least $5,000 by NOT buying a service policy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
How does one buy the Interstate Star ESP? Their Web site doesn't appear to offer direct consumer sales, and I can't even find a dealer / agent list.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Like others, we looked into an ESP. Based on the annual cost, we could pay for lots of repairs, so opted not to get one...so far so good.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
As I have posted before, I am one of the folks for which extended warranties have more than paid for themselves!

All good points above, but also make a few calls and talk with the service manager at a couple of facilities and find out who they like the best. You'll get better service when they know they don't have to fight to get paid.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sarah's right about this being one of the most discussed items here on the forum and there are no shortages of opinions on both sides.

As Mr D stated, these are NOT warranties. They are service contracts/insurance policies, and you bear some responsibility to keep the rig maintained as they define in the contract. Make no mistake, nearly all EW companies will want to see proof that you've done this if they're faced with a major claim.

I bought a 6 year EW from EasyCare when we purchased our new 40DP. We were newbies and this provided me with the peace of mind I was looking for.

Problems arise when people ask if it's "worth it" to buy one. Only you can answer that. Will it give you peace of mind and how valuable would that be to YOU. These should not be looked at as "investments" where you expect to get more back than you paid in. That might happen but that's not how I look at any other type of insurance I have. Some claim they won't buy them because they are big profit makers for the dealers and companies which write them. I do not begrudge either of them a profit and the free market should take care of any price gouging that goes on so long as people shop around before purchasing.

BTW, although I was very happy with my EasyCare policy, I did not renew it when it expired.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #11

To date, since purchasing our 2000 Winnebago last April. The Good Sam extended service contract has paid around $4,000 for repairs and replacements to our MH. The contract cost was $4,800 for 3 years. Unexpected things happen to an older RV, some are DIY and inexpensive, some are major expenses. For instance the adjustment motors in both rear-view mirrors quit working, GS replaced them @ $1,300 each. Our deductible is $50, which is what we are out-of-pocket at this time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"How does one buy the Interstate Star ESP? Their Web site doesn't appear to offer direct consumer sales, and I can't even find a dealer / agent list. "

To answer your question, as far as I know Interstate Star is only sold on new units by dealers at the time of sale. That is what I was told when I purchased my plan 6 1/2 years ago.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #13

Looking at Nationwide ESW for our new to us coach. It's a 2003 Dutch Star in remarkable shape, but DW says she would be more comfortable with a warranty for at least the big ticket items. Anyone have any dealings/experience with Nationwide?? The rate looks good with 3400 for three years/48000 miles,and the fourth year free. Any opinions people?? Give this newbie some of your storehouse if RV knowledge.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Like others, we looked into an ESP. Based on the annual cost, we could pay for lots of repairs, so opted not to get one...so far so good.
Same here... And yes you can spend hours reading threads specifically about this subject. When you get done reading hundreds of posts expressing as many opinions, the decision will still be your call... Let us know what you decide.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote