Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

Extended Warranties

I would like to get an extended service warranty for my RV. Can anyone recommend a warranty plan? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Extra ride

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you're buying it direct from the vehicle manufacturer it's not a "warranty" it's a service policy and the terms set forth in the contract are binding.
Lots of ways for the service policy administrator to deny a claim.
Some set limits on oil changes, miss one by a few hundred miles and they can void the entire policy. One person had a transmission failure, the administrator requested his service records and found he missed an engine oil/filter change so they refused to pay for the transmission.
Another one had a wire catch fire under the hood, they covered the one wire but no the rest that were burned.
Too many loopholes in most of them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

I am looking at purchasing one currantly from a California Co. called wholesalewarranties.net They esentially are a broker for different insurance companies that offer extended warranty service. I got a price from them for 7yrs.,$100 deduct,exclusionary policy for $2100. Probably will go with it. Got the link from another forum and someone asked a similiar question
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I am looking at purchasing one currantly from a California Co. called wholesalewarranties.net They esentially are a broker for different insurance companies that offer extended warranty service. I got a price from them for 7yrs.,$100 deduct,exclusionary policy for $2100. Probably will go with it. Got the link from another forum and someone asked a similiar question
That's who I purchased my extended warranty from. Haven't used it yet.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee
That's where we bought ours. Have used it twice so far. Lots of hoops to jump through and CSI/Allegience haven't been the easiest to work with, but we've had good support from wholesale warranties. So far they've paid up so I'm not complaining, despite all the hoops.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Is it also consequential? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #8

I landed up not going with an extended warranty. From what I could gather in opinions from a poll I took at Forest River Forums, about half thought you would be just as well off taking $2000 and putting it aside for emergency repair. I know its a crap shoot either way but how I finally rationalized my decision is that the bulk of the warranty money is based on drive train problems. Well the Ford F53 chassis with the V10 engine have been around pretty long and I am betting on there never being a issue there, of course fingers always crossed!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talk to camping world, they sell but don't advertize CWCare. Take your unit back to CW for repairs and they take care of all the paper work. Even waved my deductible because one repair took longer than expected. Well pleased and cost id negotiable.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally I had a policy with MBA and they had all kinds of ways to weasel out of paying. After getting stuck with a $1400 bill that really should have been covered we cancelled MBA. We went with the Good Sam Extended Service Plan. This is an insurance policy unlike most that are service policies. It's expensive, for us about $1500 per year. We have had it for four years now and no complaints. They are relatively easy to work with. They have paid out substantially more than I paid for every year we had them. Caution: First, it's still a break-down policy, which means the covered items failed not that they are likely to fail. Second, a lot of your success getting coverage is based on how the service people submit a claim.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #11

Ralph, after that much work done on your rig, isn't it time to change rigs? Yikes!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We certainly have considered it but the replacement cost is out of reach for this old guy. I have had more than my share of problems but this rig is nearly perfect and fits our full time needs nicely. At 80,000 miles it's barely broken in. This is our tenth rig in our 37 years of RVing. Back to the extended warranty; this is our only home and the peace-of-mind the Good Sam policy gives us is clearly worth the money. Example; we just had the power water hose reel replaced and the height adjusters replaced with a cost over $1000 covered under the warranty. We could have easily ignored both of these items but we want to keep this rig in top condition.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #13

Ralph, with your rig being your home, I can see how the warranty makes so much sense. Full timers "use" their rigs so much more than us light weight weekend warriors!