Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Extended warranties

Does anyone have opinions on getting an extended warranty company. What are the companies available out there, other Good Sam. My current policy ends 8/15 and the company I am with does not renew without a dealer to go through, the dealer I bought off of no longer sales their policies .

dblair2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I have the GS extended warranty and have been treated very well. On my '05 Discovery had the Huei pump go out along with injectors to the tune of $6300. I ended up paying $1300 which I thought was fair. All the injectors were not bad but they approved the whole works.
My monthly payment is around $150.
Good luck with whomever you choose.

Jim and Carol
2005 Monaco Windsor
2010 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Call or e-contact Wholesalewarranties.com. They are good people and do not pressure you but rather just give you choices as agents. The prices are very competitive. When a problem does arise, hope never, they help you as agents. I speak from experience. Sadly, current policies now have rather high deductibles and consequential coverage appears to be no longer offered. Still, is a major repair happens it would be nice to have.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Thanks for the advice. I contacted GS but their rates for their gold plan was $8200 per year.
dblair2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
I second both of them. There are some companies selling directly to the public, but most contracts are sold by brokers. Good Sam and wholesalewarranties.com are brokers. Just run an internet search for "RV extended service contract" But that is not the end of your searching. Run a complaint search for those companies/brokers that interest you, but sift out the wheat from the chaff-so to speak.
We bought a GS extended service contract @ $4,800 for 3 years. Expensive for sure, but during the first 2 years they paid $4,000 for covered expenses, and we still have nearly a year remaining. Whichever company you buy from, be sure to get the seals and gaskets rider, otherwise, if an engine seal fails causing a loss of oil and a ruined engine, they do not pay.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
Jayco Owners Club
Find out what they consider "normal wear and tear" BEFORE you buy a warranty. My sister had to sue the warranty company because she had $2,600- engine damage, that they considered normal wear and tear. She won, and they paid, and had to pay her attorney. They then cancelled her warranty with no refund. Again, she threatened to sue. They refunded on a pro-rata basis... meaning she didn't get much. This may not be normal, but it sure has soured me toward any after-market warranty. Again, just be sure what you're getting into.
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
....... My sister had to sue the warranty company because she had $2,600- engine damage, that they considered normal wear and tear. She won, and they paid, and had to pay her attorney. They then cancelled her warranty with no refund. Again, she threatened to sue. They refunded on a pro-rata basis... .
I'm sure forum readers would like to know which company played this way. Who was it your sister had to sue?
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
We have Cornerstone, reasonable and dependable. If the co. only sells through dealers than go to one and negotiate if you can. Be sure to get the best plan.
Follow us at: http://joelandesta.blogspot.com/
2006 HR Endeavor 40'...2002 Corvette
2011 Forest River 20' Cargo Trailer
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
We have a 1999 Discovery with 111,000 miles. The GoodSam extended warranty has been a great comfort. We pay $165 per month with "Seals and Gaskets" coverage. I have had several claims with the work being preformed by Cummins, both in Tampa, Florida and Manassas, Va. No problems what so ever with the claims. Our deductible is $500 plus some non covered items. The repair in Manassas was on our trip to St. Johns. Total cost was $5,800. We paid $500.
Our RV's are complex machines. Heavy duty engines, chassis, plus all the "nice things" that make our style of traveling enjoyable.
Having an extended warranty is to one of those things that make life easier. We purchased our coach with 27,000 miles on it. Lots of miles and time for things to happen, which most likely will happen.
Good Sam has be very good to us. I would recommend GS for an extended warranty policy.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
stay with good sam they are the best.used them several times.my rv guy screwed up with the claim and they still honored it
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
good sams very good

lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote