Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Extended warranty

Have any of you had any experience with USA Travel Care ? I have always been under the openion that extra coverage wasn't necessary, but costs are going way up - but the coverage isn't cheap either. Any info would help, thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ask the seller of the vehicle why they think you need it? Then ask yourself "is the product that poorly made that I want to buy it in the first place?"

Consumer Reports says not to waste your money and I agree.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Mr D; I'm in the process of getting a 09 Dutch Star 4086. You would know more about it than I do so I really do appreciate your input, thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #4

I personally like and maintain an extended warranty. It does not cover everything, there are rules the MUST be followed, prior authorization is a must. Sometimes it can delay a repair for a day or more while authorization is obtained. That said: I have had basement and roof AC units repaired over the years. My hydraulic jacks failed last year in the down position. The frig board was replaced on two MHs, the frig door seal was replaced, and years ago the transmission was repaired on my Holiday Rambler. No, I'm not just unlucky, I've been driving motorhomes for over 30 years and things do happen. Once, the extended warranty company, through inspection of the damage gave me notification that the repair shop might be "over-reacting", I decided to move my MH to another shop where I could have more "trust" in the work being preformed.
I purchased my most recent entended warranty from WholesaleWarranties.net and I have been very satisfied with their service. They act more like agents than salespeople, and they assisted me with the claim on my recent repair...the jacks, calling and checking regularly to make sure I was being serviced satisfactorally.
Anyway, my vote is for a warranty.
JMHO
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours is 10+ years old. So far I've replaced the starting and engine batteries (not covered by any service policy). The refer cooling unit last year after 9 years of ownership, wouldn't have been covered either due to being past service policy expiration. All six tires due to age, along with the steel wheels (went to Alcoa's all around), again not covered by a service policy. Now I had a heating unit burn out on the refer, wouldn't have been covered anyway.
Replaced both Fantastic covers on the vent fans, wouldn't have been covered by any service policy either, and was free anyway.
No engine, nor chassis repairs other than normal service and I do my own anyway. Installed a Banks kit myself so no service policy coverage their either.
Had the main awning break earlier this year due to a rainstorm, covered by vehicle insurance.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I personally like and maintain an extended warranty. It does not cover everything, there are rules the MUST be followed, prior authorization is a must. Sometimes it can delay a repair for a day or more while authorization is obtained. That said: I have had basement and roof AC units repaired over the years. My hydraulic jacks failed last year in the down position. The frig board was replaced on two MHs, the frig door seal was replaced, and years ago the transmission was repaired on my Holiday Rambler. No, I'm not just unlucky, I've been driving motorhomes for over 30 years and things do happen. Once, the extended warranty company, through inspection of the damage gave me notification that the repair shop might be "over-reacting", I decided to move my MH to another shop where I could have more "trust" in the work being preformed.
I purchased my most recent entended warranty from WholesaleWarranties.net and I have been very satisfied with their service. They act more like agents than salespeople, and they assisted me with the claim on my recent repair...the jacks, calling and checking regularly to make sure I was being serviced satisfactorally.
Anyway, my vote is for a warranty.
JMHO
Well, by law, they aren't "warranties" they're service policies and covered under normal contract laws no matter what the company calls them. The only way to get an "extended warranty" is to buy it from the original manufacturer of the vehicle.
As such the service policy has very specific items that must be done before they pay.
In one case a person had a transmission failure, the insurance company asked for all the service records. On inspection they founf the owner had missed an engine oil and filter change by 750 miles. The voided the policy and refunded the owners money, but refused to pay for the transmission.
In another case a wire cought fire and burned a bunch of other wires in the loom on the engine. The service policy company paid for the one wire and nothing else.
Also, if the service policy company goes out of business you're left with nothing but the payments on it, if you financed it.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Fen View Post
Mr D; I'm in the process of getting a 09 Dutch Star 4086. You would know more about it than I do so I really do appreciate your input, thanks.
Can you get the service records? If so look them over to see if the service has been done as recommended.
Have the engine and trans fluid tested.
Personally, after doing that, and all looks good I'd take the money you'd have spent on it and put it in the bank and self insure. That's what we've done for years and I'm way, way ahead now.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a USA Travel Care policy when I bought my coach. It was used, one year old, so I wanted the protection. Some folks have all the luck and rarely experience problems, but I don't have that kind of luck. My USA policy paid for itself 3 years after I purchased it, so everything since then has been money saved.

Many owners of RV extended warranties have legitimate issues with the denial of repair claims. It all depends on the company. USA Travel Care has been more than fair with me. Case in point; my coach has three electric sun visors at the windshield. They all work, but they rattle like crazy going down the road. I took the coach to my local RV repair shop. The manager looked over my policy and said the visors were not listed as a covered item. He said even if they were, they still operate. I told him to try anyway. To his amazement, they approved the repair.

The bottom line is the cost of the coverage. I paid $1700 for my policy in 2006, and as I said, it quickly paid for itself, and I still have another year of coverage to go. I believe the policies now are a lot more expensive, so you will have to decide if it's worth it for you or not. Some people buy it for peace of mind.

While its true that Consumer Reports said extended warranties often are a waste of money, I believe they were speaking of automobile coverage. An RV is a house on wheels, so it has a lot more that can go wrong. Throw in the expense of just one diesel engine repair, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

An extended warranty (service policy) is insurance that covers some repair costs. Like any insurance, it is wonderful if you have a covered event and a waste of money if you do not. Diesel pushers have a number of very expensive components, so repair costs can be large if you have a bad run of luck and can't do many (or any) repairs yourself.

Much as already been written here about the pros and cons of extended warranties, so I suggest you use SEARCH to read more about them and then evaluate whether YOU want to purchase that type of insurance.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote