Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

Extended warranty

We are looking at acquiring an 2010 Itasca 31c used,from a reputable dealer with approximately 13k,interior & exterior appears to be in good condition. Can anyone shed any light on the purchase of extended warranties. from what I have read,they are priced excessively high & somewhat questionable when it comes time to recover costs incurred to do repairs. Do most of you folks acquire extended warranties or are you just taking your chances . I would also like to here about experiences with these type of insurers. Thanking you in advance for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbon View Post
We are looking at acquiring an 2010 Itasca 31c used,from a reputable dealer with approximately 13k,interior & exterior appears to be in good condition. Can anyone shed any light on the purchase of extended warranties. from what I have read,they are priced excessively high & somewhat questionable when it comes time to recover costs incurred to do repairs. Do most of you folks acquire extended warranties or are you just taking your chances . I would also like to here about experiences with these type of insurers. Thanking you in advance for your input.
They are also called extended service plans. You will see them called ESPs here. First read the fine print. There are exclusions you need to know about. Second shop around. There are lots of them that will beat a dealers price by a long way. We bought our coach used from a dealer and Good Sam ESP blew them away on price. We kept the ESP for the first year we owned the coach to make sure any bugs were worked out. They put a lot of money into our fridge less the $500 deductible. Tried to have them fix the awning but we soon found out it was not covered. When it was all said and done I think it was a wash. Do a search here for extended warranty or extended service plan for lots of info.

Some will say to take that money and put it in the bank to save for the possibility you will need it. That works great unless you have a catastrophic disaster like engine or transmission failure. Even with them some of the ESPs have clauses for not covering if a gasket fails causing the failure. Again fine print.

Another thing to think about is roadside assistance or RSA. We still use Good Sam for that and have used it a few times, It covers you and anyone like your spouse that is on it no matter what you are driving. Even if it is not your vehicle. They tried some malarkey with us over a blown tire replacement but after being persistent we won.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

Try www.wholesalewarranties.com and see what they can do for you. We have our coverage through them, it's called XtraRide. I believe they're a broker, but they're easy to work with. We've used them and had no problem whatsoever. And get the gaskets and seals rider for a little more peace of mind.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually not a fan of such warranties, as it's cheaper to be self insured. However I think they have a good place in the purchase if a used RV as a mitigation against major latent issues and expensive failures. Consider to buy with a high deductible to keep the cost down, and 1 year term. And reconsider if desired to continue after having gained some history and comfort level with the coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
There only expensive if you don't have to use them!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Get your thinking straight. It's not a warranty and its not a prepaid fix-everything deal. It's insurance for a limited number of possible repair services. As Clayobx said, it's expensive if you don't have need to collect on the insurance but its priceless if you have a major calamity that is covered. That last clause is crucial - there are numerous repairs that will not be covered, so read the fine print carefully. Rest assured that the insurer's claims adjuster will interpret that fine print rigidly, with no exceptions.

As for the cost, policies bought through dealers generally have a very high sales commission. Policies bought through broker are less, but the commission is still substantial. So yes, you are paying a lot for the coverage you actually get, and most (but not all) people would do better financially by putting aside the same amount and paying for their own repairs. It's anybody's guess whether you would be one who has a high dollar repair that would be covered. That's what insurance is all about - we all pay something so that the unfortunate few don't get killed with a huge payout.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think that in most cases extended warranties are not worth the high cost. I realize that some folks have found them to be cost-effective, but I think the majority aren't. JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

I maintain an extended warranty because it gives me peace of mind that I will not be hit be a huge unexpected expense in repair, and the warranty company acts as sort of a check to make sure the repair is really necessary.
Call or e-mail WholesaleWarranties.com for a quote. They have an assortment of products, and when I had a claim they were very helpful in giving me direction and following the process through. JMHO
One more little note: With a warranty you must follow ALL the rules to the letter. Prior approval, no self repair, etc. And if you get a warranty seriously consider "consequential coverage" so that non-covered parts become covered when a covered part breaks.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

Let me suggest that before you choose one, take the time to read this article from the Escapee's Magazine about them and how to choose the right one for you.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use the irv2 google search for extended warranties and you can spend the rest of the season reading the different opinions... In the end it's what you are most comfortable with...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #11

Extended warranty = Not worth the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbon View Post
My experience has not been good with Good Sam's Extended Warranty - I paid for the Extended Warranty for 5 years - had two claims - both being under $2,000 to repair - neither accepted as a covered event so we finally dropped the (Non) coverage.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1379 View Post
My experience has not been good with Good Sam's Extended Warranty - I paid for the Extended Warranty for 5 years - had two claims - both being under $2,000 to repair - neither accepted as a covered event so we finally dropped the (Non) coverage.
Fight them on it and don't back down. They seem to be in the business of not paying claims. If your contract says it is covered and you followed the rules, keep after them. They tried to say we only had road side assistance one way for a blown tire because we had to go "out of network" to get a new one when they didn't have an "in network" tire dealer where we were. After a small fight they sent us a check for the not covered amount that just about paid for the next years coverage.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 AM   #13

You're right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Fight them on it and don't back down. They seem to be in the business of not paying claims. If your contract says it is covered and you followed the rules, keep after them. They tried to say we only had road side assistance one way for a blown tire because we had to go "out of network" to get a new one when they didn't have an "in network" tire dealer where we were. After a small fight they sent us a check for the not covered amount that just about paid for the next years coverage.
I cannot disagree with your approach, but I would prefer to simply drop the crooks that they are and put them in my rear view mirror. Good Sam was once a great operation but over the past few years, they seem to be more hustler than neighbor.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #14

Question ESP on a new rig

I would like some comments on ESP's for new rigs. I have a Thor Axis and am considering the ESP for the peace of mind that it offers. My question centres on the wisdom of buying it now and duplicating much of the manufacturers warranty in that first year.
Also, we figure to keep the rig for 5 years and if we purchase the 7 year plan will having the last two years be a real selling feature that might help recoup at least part of the outlay?
Thoughts?