Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Extended warranty cancelation.

Have owned our 08 forest River Lexington for a year. We bought an extended warranty through Camping World and yes we paid quite a bit. But the rig was a consignment and we were new to the rv world and wanted to travel right away with minimal worries. The radio (a Sirius-weather unit) went out in the first month. It was $400 to replace and the warranty company fixed it no problem. But the more I looked at the contract, it appear that things have have to out and out fail to be covered. I have some air noises and a temperamental circuit breaker but I would be charged a diagnosis fee if they found it has not "failed". Which wouldn't be covered. I quieted the ac myself and I'm hoping that the circuit breaker is just touchy and doesn't fail at the worst time. It also seems stuff like leaks and failing caulking ( I have no leaks but have pulling away and cracking of the caulk on the front) is not covered. Also had the front steering stabilizer fail and my deductible is $50 and my camping world is about $50 of gas away so I replaced it myself for $30

So.... I'm thinking of canceling. I know it's prorated and deducted for what I used but I'm wondering has anyone cancelled and gotten decent money back? I know that what ever fails, I could probably replace myself and the chances of more than one or two expensive parts going is probably slim. It does cover drivetrain also but I do my own maintenance and I feel the chances of a catastrophic failure is slim also in the next 4 years.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

If you're not concerned about a catastrophe then , I would cxl it if I were you. I have one and am concerned about a catastrophe.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, I think the things you mentioned as not being covered are pretty commonly excluded from all EW's I know about. It's really not a bumper to bumper service policy where they take care of maintenance like caulking or replacing intermittent switches.

It's really more of an insurance policy to cover catastrophic failures.

I bought a seven year policy with my new coach in 2007 and have overall been very pleased with it but I've still taken my coach back to the factory twice to have them caulk and check seals.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Funny air noises, circuit breakers acting strange caulking and leaks..... of course no one is going to cover these things. You cant take your rig in on a suspicion that something might be wrong or broke... the extended warranty companies would go broke. I have taken full advantage of our extended warranty... .they have lost money on us but they will make it back on the next guy, thats how it works.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Monacoach, I guess that's my point, all the little things even if covered, is not worth it to me with the deductable and distance and it is a gamble to keep or not to keep. My original question lost in all my meanderings is if I chose to bail would I get much back? They have not given me a clear answer understandably so I was wondering if anyone got money back. My contract will prorate it. My second question is if you have it was it worth it. You answered it for me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #6

Extended warranties NEVER cover routine maintenance items.. caulking, brakes, wind noise, etc. They are designed to cover replacing A/C units, refrigerators, expensive electronics,appliances, engines, transmissions, etc. That $2400 refrigerator replacement wont hurt so bad when all you have to pay is the $50 deductible. Is it a gamble ? Sure.. Now, to answer your question. They will prorate it... they issue the refund to your dealer, the dealer issues your refund to you... be aware this can take UP TO 6 WEEKS for the warranty company to process. How do I know ? I do it for my dealership. Hope this helps.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

Our hydraulic jacks started acting up, took it to shop and they ended up replacing the pump/reservoir system. Paid the 50 deductible for something that would have cost us 3000 dollars. Dash ac quit twice, 50 bucks 50 bucks, battery solenoid 3 times, engine sprung a antifreeze leak turned out to be the turbo cooling line 50 bucks......... so if you hang on to your warranty it may save you some, it may not..... I'm on pins and needles every time I turn the key on our motorhome and thats with having a warranty.... without the warranty I just simply wouldn't own a motorhome.......
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A simple phone call to your warranty company should get you the information you're looking for.

I purchased a used coach that came with an extended warranty. I subsequently traded it in on a new coach. I called the warranty company and they told me exactly what my refund would be, and that is what I ultimately received.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

Thanks all, I will pester the company again. Those of you who used the warranty, did they make a big thing about maintenance? I keep my own records and receipts for oil so far and I follow the warranty book ( but then I only have 11,000 miles.)
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought a service policy (by law they're not a warranty unless purchased direct from the vehicle manufacturer) on a Honda Accord. Never used it, but the cost was fully refundable if not used. Funny thing was the dealer had sold lots of the policies but NO ONE had ever put in for the refund. They took a few days to even figure out how to handle it. I did get all my money back though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
Thanks all, I will pester the company again. Those of you who used the warranty, did they make a big thing about maintenance? I keep my own records and receipts for oil so far and I follow the warranty book ( but then I only have 11,000 miles.)
Lots of people have been tripped up by lack of maintenance. One in particular had a trans fail. The ins. company asked for service info and found that he was 700 miles over on an engine oil change. They denied coverage of the trans for not servicing the engine oil! I think they did give him all his money back which was less than the cost of the trans repair though.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
I just had my hydraulic pump / reservoir replaced and covered by my extended warranty. I original took it in because it was leaking hydraulic fluid. I had to pay for that repair, since the warranty didn't cover hoses and that is what they originally thought was the problem. 3 months later, it was still leaking, and the RV service center said it was the pump. An insurance inspector came and verified that it was indeed the pump. The extended warranty covered around $3200 for the repair if I recall. I was soo glad that I had it!!!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I just had my hydraulic pump / reservoir replaced and covered by my extended warranty. I original took it in because it was leaking hydraulic fluid. I had to pay for that repair, since the warranty didn't cover hoses and that is what they originally thought was the problem. 3 months later, it was still leaking, and the RV service center said it was the pump. An insurance inspector came and verified that it was indeed the pump. The extended warranty covered around $3200 for the repair if I recall. I was soo glad that I had it!!!
Glad the service policy came through for you, if they pay out more than they take in they won't be in business for long. And lots of them have gone out of business over the years.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Our ext warranty has $500 deductible but its per visit not per item repaired.
in one vist I had the dash AC compressor and dryer replaced, the key-less entry system replaced, the surround sound receiver replaced and the backup camera display replaced, all for $500.
So far I'm happy with the coverage.
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote