Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
extended warranty help

Hello all, Does anyone have an extended warranty plan with someone other than Good Sam? I think Good Sam is very expensive, 1500.00 & would like to find another company.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You will find them all in this price range. GS would not be my first pick, too many exclusives. JMO.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksfess View Post
Hello all, Does anyone have an extended warranty plan with someone other than Good Sam? I think Good Sam is very expensive, 1500.00 & would like to find another company.......
Wayne & Dee..... We bought our service contract from Wholesale Warranties. We've been very pleased with the coverage and service. There are numerous discussions of this topic on the forum. If you search for "service contract" or "extended warranty", you'll find the info. For more specific info, its convenient to let us know the year and make of your coach, and how you use it-- fulltiming, snowbirding, or fairly short trips three times a year.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

I can't imagine what GS is covering for that small amount
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

I have had good luck with XtraRide. Cost probably will relate to year model of MH, among other things. A 3-yr policy was in "bonus" package (incentive to buy) of our purchase in 2011. I wanted more years, thinking I would keep MH at least four years, but I could not get dealer to sweeten to the fourth year, and we had hit them for numerous incentive add-ons at that point, so I agreed to purchase more years. One more year was all available and it was $1K. Suppossily the 3-yr was worth around $3K, but suspect dealer got some sort of cut jon their part.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Wayne & Dee..... We bought our service contract from Wholesale Warranties. We've been very pleased with the coverage and service. There are numerous discussions of this topic on the forum. If you search for "service contract" or "extended warranty", you'll find the info. For more specific info, its convenient to let us know the year and make of your coach, and how you use it-- fulltiming, snowbirding, or fairly short trips three times a year.
We also have a Wholesale Warranty service contract and used it the first time last week. Hills Freightliner of So Bend IN. worked on our cruise control because they were the Smart Wheel service center, their shop fees were $105 an hour and the service contract only paid $100 and didn't pay the shop materials fees. So the total was around $300 and we paid $234 of it.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
We also have a Wholesale Warranty service contract and used it the first time last week. Hills Freightliner of So Bend IN. worked on our cruise control because they were the Smart Wheel service center, their shop fees were $105 an hour and the service contract only paid $100 and didn't pay the shop materials fees. So the total was around $300 and we paid $234 of it.
I'm not sure how your costs breakdown, but I'm sure there's a deductible in there. We have a $100 deductible. Our first claim was a total cost of about $2400 for a failed roof air unit. The original model was unavailable, so there was about a $400 discrepancy there, plus the labor charge average in the area was a few dollars under the shop rate where we were. In toto we paid about $550 of the $2400 tab. In the second event, our engine mounted a/c compressor failed. Total cost was about $1800, plus two nights hotel and meals. Our total out of pocket was the $100 deductible.

I've run into the labor charge issue before. Most insurances are like this. They will pay an area average, so if your shop is far out of average in cost, you may wind up paying something on that, but its not usually a substantial number.

The so-called shop material fees are usually small, covering rags and cleanup, other incidentals, etc., but can also include some consumables that are often not covered by the contract. For example, service contracts usually don't cover things like fluids and belts-- items that may wear or leak on a regular basis. These things may be listed as shop materials. However, if you selected the "Consequential Damage" option when you bought your contract, these things would be covered if their loss was caused by the failure of the covered item.

My wish is that neither of us needs to file another claim!!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

We have had Good Sam Continued Service plan since 2006 or so.

They have been easy to work with and covered an air conditioner...refrigerator repair ...and then a new fuel pump, sway bar, brake Lines, and a few others...$250 deductible....runs $80 a month ...well worth it...we are pleased..

Wouldn't be without it...sooner or later something is going to need repair or replacement...