Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Extended Warranty if so with who ? Also who for RV comp Ins ?

I hope this fits under gen discussion. New member & will be taking posession of our newmar coach
this week. Its 5 years old & well taken care of by the 1 owner. My question is do I buy an aftermarket ext warranty & with who ? I hear Good Sam from may but ive heard megga nightmares about them also. Alsi my auto ins I uses Progressive as its on all my other vehiclez. Does 1200.00 a year for full ins coverage 100/300 sound good ? Thank you all in advance.
Dan 3856CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

This has been discussed a lot. Some like them others don't. I always buy used rigs. And never an extended warranty. I insure w/ State Farm, but have heard that full timers should choose an insurance company tailored to full timers.

I do have tow in insurance. I use Coach Net and I'm a member of FMCA.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 3856CS View Post
I hope this fits under gen discussion. New member & will be taking posession of our newmar coach
this week. Its 5 years old & well taken care of by the 1 owner. My question is do I buy an aftermarket ext warranty & with who ? I hear Good Sam from may but ive heard megga nightmares about them also. Alsi my auto ins I uses Progressive as its on all my other vehiclez. Does 1200.00 a year for full ins coverage 100/300 sound good ? Thank you all in advance.

Hopefully someone will post a link to one of the many discussions on this subject.

I personally have Good Sam ESP ($125 monthly for 10 months of the year) as well as a Good Sam Roadside Assist ($149 this year) this provides towing for all of my cars and the coach. Even cars that I borrow and break down.

They do different things.

I also have Geico (Road Insurance) that is not much (we have a bundle that covers 2car, van, motorhome) that cost $1000 every 6 mos. ($2K year).

I ran my coach by FMCA and the cost was comparable. The Good Sam policy excludes radiator , belts and hoses and damage caused by neglect. FMCA will cover a radiator.

Sudsy
Old 04-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thank u for taking the time. Have a great day. Safe travels.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Welcome to the zoo.....

Here is a link to over 3,000 threads on this board alone discussing extended service contracts since they are not warranties.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...y=9&gws_rd=ssl

Pick 5-10 posted in the last 3 months and read through them and you will have 10X the information you will get in this thread in a week.

Here is a link to the discussions involving Progressive Insurance. Looking at 5-10 recent ones will get your answers for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22p...=15&gws_rd=ssl
Old 04-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #6

I would say it all depends on how mechanical you are and what jobs you are willing to do yourself. The more you do the less valuable your service contract is.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #7

Mechanical Ability

If you break down on the road you don't have all of your tools to do a repair sometimes. It takes tools and I can't carry them all.

Getting old and not having the strength to wrench anymore. I can't even change one of these 22.5 tires. 450 ft lb of torque is way beyond me and my impact tool.

Sudsy
Old 04-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
If you break down on the road you don't have all of your tools to do a repair sometimes. It takes tools and I can't carry them all.

Getting old and not having the strength to wrench anymore. I can't even change one of these 22.5 tires. 450 ft lb of torque is way beyond me and my impact tool.
Sudsy
That is one extreme end of the spectrum. The other is making a claim for a dripping faucet.
Somewhere in the middle is the reality of deciding of a contract is worth the money or not. If an owner has no knowledge or ability to do simple repairs the contract will surely pay for itself. Or if a big ticket item breaks but that is a chance thing.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I use Coach-net and Progressive.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
That is one extreme end of the spectrum. The other is making a claim for a dripping faucet.
Somewhere in the middle is the reality of deciding of a contract is worth the money or not. If an owner has no knowledge or ability to do simple repairs the contract will surely pay for itself. Or if a big ticket item breaks but that is a chance thing.

Well I guess I should add that I carry a toolbox, several chemicals that I may need and a big bucket of common sense and mechanical ability. This really is a hobby for self sufficient or rich people. I ain't rich.

Sudsy
Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
TY & i think my mind is made up. Im a tools mechanical kind of guy. Collected classic cars & owned enuf Harleys to learn maintenance. Short of blowing a motor or trans im sure i can handle the rest. And hell if a motor goes myself & a few of my boys can do a swap blindfolded. Ill save the 4k & see how the first few trips go..
Old 04-22-2018, 04:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I will.check coachnet as ive heard many good things about them... Just for the hell of it ill inquire. Thank you
Old 04-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't go for extended warranties. I would take the amount per month you will spend on an extended warranty and put it in a special bank account for unexpected expenses.

I have Safeco insurance and use Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I will probably change to FMCA Roadside Assistance when it comes due again.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #14

I'm one who purchased an extended service contract-IT IS NOT A WARRANTY!
Anyway, if you decide to purchase an ESC, add-on the gaskets and seals rider, otherwise if a seal/gasket fails, causing damage to the engine, transmission, differential, etc., nothing is a covered expense because the mechanical damage is consequential damage from the failed gasket/seal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty