Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #1

We are new full timers and need help in two area's 1. We need to know ehat company is the most dependable and accepted by most repair shops regarding extended warranty. 2. What company has the best road service policy, AAA, Good Sam, etc. etc.

Thanks

Larry and Joelle

2006 Saturn Vue
angel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #2

We are new full timers and need help in two area's 1. We need to know ehat company is the most dependable and accepted by most repair shops regarding extended warranty. 2. What company has the best road service policy, AAA, Good Sam, etc. etc.

Thanks

Larry and Joelle

2006 Saturn Vue
angel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #3

I really can't help in the area of extended warranty (service contract) as I don't really believe in them myself. So far (maybe just dumb luck) I have come out ahead by putting the money I would have spent for extended service in the bank. It is there if I need it for repairs, and a nice lump sum if I don't. For me, it would be expensive "peace of mind." You have a newer motorhome (by your signature) and should have most things still covered under warranty anyway.

As far as road service, I wouldn't be without it. We use Coach Net purchased through FMCA, but can be purchased direct. I have had occasion to use them a few times and have been extremely pleased with the service. The service extends to all of my vehicles and is a sign and drive service. They will also assist in making service appointments for you when you are on the road. No limit towing, and will make sure they send someone with the equipment to handle your RV. They will also make sure you are towed to a facility that has people capable of working on your RV. I have also heard good reports of service through Good Sam for road service.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #4

L & J, If you click on 'find' and type in ERS you'll find a lot of comments on Emergency Road Service.

I have Good Sam and have had good service from them. Art
Old 05-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Actually many extended warranty insurance policies are underwritten by a very few companies but are sold under a variety of names and with some differences in coverages, deductibles, etc. Two big ones are American Gaurdian and Deutch Financial Services (DFS). But that's not really important, since the underwriters are generally not the problem and you don't but from them direct anyway. You buy from a broker such as www.RVProtection.net or www.warrantydirect.com or from an Rv dealer (not recommended - too expensive).

Where folks get into trouble is failure to read and understand the policy they buy (and so understand what is actually covered) and failure to follow the claim procedures to the letter. And I do mean "to the letter".

Some shops won't deal with insurers because it takes time on the phone and the shop inevitably gets stuck in the middle if the insurer declines some or all of the payment he customer expects. Not fun for the shop. And it usually takes some extra documentation and advance planning odf the required service as well. Shade tree mechanics don't deal well with that sort of thing - too much hassle.

For a road service you want an Rv-specific plan and that pretty much means eiher the Good Sam ERS (also sold by Camping World as the Camping World ERS) or Coach-Net (www.coach-net.com). I heartily recommend Coach-Net, who is the major provider of road services for RV clubs such as FMCA and Rv manufacturer-sponsored clubs and/or road service plans.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by angel9:

Thanks

Larry and Joelle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also am not a believer in extended warranties.

Road Service: We are new to the MH world and after much research decided on CoachNet.

They appeared to have the most overall customer satisfaction rating.

Here's the link Coach-Net Link

They offer discounts to club members.

FMCA has partnered with Coach-Net

Link to FMCA FMCA Link

Good luck

Enjoy the adventure

Jim

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Jim Martin PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:02 AM   #7

I beleive our inlaws have the CaochNet. Sometimes they have to get on them to get reimbursement. What they do,is call, arrange a repair, pay for it, then send a form in for reimbursement. It can be a pain, but at least you get it back. You just need to read every single word and understand what your getting and NOT (&lt;==IMPORTANT) getting. Also make sure if there are any form required, have plenty of copies, follow the guidelines in your contract that say how to handle things.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
I beleive our inlaws have the CaochNet. Sometimes they have to get on them to get reimbursement. What they do,is call, arrange a repair, pay for it, then send a form in for reimbursement. It can be a pain, but at least you get it back. You just need to read every single word and understand what your getting and NOT (&lt;==IMPORTANT) getting. Also make sure if there are any form required, have plenty of copies, follow the guidelines in your contract that say how to handle things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads-up.

I haven't used the service as yet. Actually, I hope I never have to use it.

I heard some horror stories about all of the popular companies and Coach-Net was getting all the praise. Interesting??????

What road service company do you subscribe to or recommend?

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks again

Jim

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Martin PA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
I beleive our inlaws have the CaochNet. Sometimes they have to get on them to get reimbursement. What they do,is call, arrange a repair, pay for it, then send a form in for reimbursement. It can be a pain, but at least you get it back. You just need to read every single word and understand what your getting and NOT (&lt;==IMPORTANT) getting. Also make sure if there are any form required, have plenty of copies, follow the guidelines in your contract that say how to handle things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good morning, Charliez,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I haven't used the service as yet. Actually, I hope I never have to use it.

I heard some horror stories about all of the popular companies and Coach-Net was getting all the praise. Interesting??????

What road service company do you subscribe to or recommend?

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks again

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Old 05-04-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I beleive our inlaws have the CaochNet. Sometimes they have to get on them to get reimbursement. What they do,is call, arrange a repair, pay for it, then send a form in for reimbursement. It can be a pain, but at least you get it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the procedure, then it is not Coach-Net that your in-laws have. Coach-Net dispatches a road service to you wherever you are and you simply sign the workorder to confirm the service provided. You don't pay a dime unless you need to buy a tire or some other item or service not covered by road service.

I'd say your in-laws plan is unusual in having to file paper reimbursement forms. About the only thing that typically works that way is the roadside service options available on car insurance policies. In many of them, youhave to arrange for your own services, pay for them and then get reimbursement. That isn't really a lot of help if your RV dies on an interstate 50 miles from town.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:05 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
I beleive our inlaws have the CaochNet. Sometimes they have to get on them to get reimbursement. What they do,is call, arrange a repair, pay for it, then send a form in for reimbursement. It can be a pain, but at least you get it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the procedure, then it is not Coach-Net that your in-laws have. Coach-Net dispatches a road service to you wherever you are and you simply sign the workorder to confirm the service provided. You don't pay a dime unless you need to buy a tire or some other item or service not covered by road service.

I'd say your in-laws plan is unusual in having to file paper reimbursement forms. About the only thing that typically works that way is the roadside service options available on car insurance policies. In many of them, youhave to arrange for your own services, pay for them and then get reimbursement. That isn't really a lot of help if your RV dies on an interstate 50 miles from town. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good morning, Gary,

Thanks for the clarification.

I was beginning to worry that I had selected the wrong service. Which was somewhat of a surprise since I had such rave reviews regarding Coach-Net service program.

Thanks again

Jim

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Old 05-05-2006, 03:17 AM   #12

To, All , re; Road Service plans,

I have had RV ROAD HELP from Allstate for about 10 years now and have had very good service from them particularly when I was dealing with many battery, inverter and other elictical problems, Membership also includes the KOA value card which means one less card to carry. Covers all vehicles and I don't have to be there when service arrives, This is important because we all, I think ,, Let others borrow our vehicles,.

Thanks==== Aime====
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't purchase extended warranties on any item we buy. So far we have come out way ahead.

We have used Good Sam's Emergency Road Service for years and have been very satisfied with them.

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote