Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Exterior TV

I want to connect my outside TV to a circuit so it will operate without running the generator or plugging in to shore power. The interior TV work on battery ( inverter ) power, and I would like the exterior one to do likewise. The inverter is situated closeby, but there is not an outlet on it. So I need to find the circuit or junction for the inside TVs. But I have no idea where to look. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated. BTW .. this TV is 19.5 volts, so it won't be as simple as finding a 12v DC source.

wingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the inverter is nearby there is 12vdc nearby. A small inverter dedicated to the TV could likely be readily added.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
If the inverter is near by adding another outlet from there should not be a problem.If you are not comfortable playing with electric it would be better to find someone who knows what to do.It would be easier at the inverter than snaking from the interior receptical.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
My basement compartment has a 12V outlet in it. I have a small inverter, 400W, that could be used to power a TV from that outlet. If you don't have an outlet you may install one and use a small inverter easier then doing anything else.

Since running the inverter does drain the batteries pretty quickly I use the above inverter to run the front TV. The new TV's use a very small amount of power, so you may get by with a smaller inverter.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
what do you mean it's 19.5 volts,does it plug into 12V or 110V
Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
stan5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
19.5volts? New to me, and my wife says I'm a know it all.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
19.5 volts DC is the voltage Laptop computers and looks like some TV's use.

You can get power bricks that convert 120 AC to 19.5 DC and less common, 12 volt DC to 19.5 DC.

I used a 12 v brick for a while until it started blowing fuses, probably due to it being a cheap EBay one.

I went back to 120 volts thru the inverter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
It seems the easiest way would be to put a junction box in the present 120 volt line from the inverter and run from that and add an outlet to bay where you want to power the TV.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
Thanks for all the tips and info. After reading these and looking a bit closer, I decided to add a line to the existing inverter. Once I got into it, pretty simple process. I never thought about installing another and smaller inverter, but I didn't have to.
Thanks again for the assistance.
wingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
I very seldom turn my 2000 watt on board inverter on.
To conserve house battery power when I have no shore or generator power, I use a 400 watt inverter to run my 24" LED TV, (and often both the TV and the Direct TV receiver).
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote