Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
M2D

EZ Pass

We are new at owning a fifth wheel. We have bought an F350 dually to pull the truck.

We understand that we need an transponder for the truck when we drive it without the fiver in tow. Then we need another transponder when we have the fiver in tow.

The F350 dually has to have commercial plates in MA. So we have to set up a commercial account for the truck and the trailer even though we have an ordinary account for our two cars.

We stopped by an EZ Pass service center today to ask some questions about filling out the commercial forms.

We understand that the truck is a two axle dually with a weight of over 7000 pounds. We are confused as to which vehicle code best describes the trailer/truck combo. The woman who helped us called another person for advice as to the correct code. She gave us a code 531 for the truck/trailer combo which applies to a truck with 4 axles, dual tires over 7,000 pounds. Our trailer has two axles with single wheels. Some how that does not seem correct to us since only one axle out of the four in the truck/fiver combo has dual wheels.

We have not sent in the application and have another empty form to fill it if we need to change anything. Maybe we are just not getting it and she was correct but she did not seem very confident about it.

Many thanks to anyone who can help us figure this out.

M2D

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

This may or may not apply to you, but if it does, I hope it helps.

In NY you can qualify and pay auto rates on RV's including motorhomes. You have to apply to EZ pass, but it does work. You may want to see if you can do the same in MA.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've looked into this, unfortunately MA does not have a similar option. We have our MH's EZ Pass from NY. When traveling with just the MH, it gets tolled in MA at the auto rate, unfortunately when we pull the toad it gets tolled at a 4 axle rate which is similar to what your truck/trailer combo will be tolled at.

In NYS, it gets tolled as a 4 wheel passenger car no matter if we are towing or not, which is a huge savings, especially when we use the Thruway to go to western NYS.

If I were you, if you go significant miles on NYS toll roads I'd look into getting the combo EZ Pass from NYS. At the time I did it, they had no deposit and no transponder or annual fee, not sure if they do now. We did have to send some proof as our MH is not titled in NYS.

On the other hand, if we went significant miles in Maine we'd get one from Maine. Their toll rates are quite high and they give significant discounts for EZ Pass use, but only if it is issued in Maine. Last time I checked, Maine either charged for the EZ Pass or had an annual fee, so we have not pursued that any further.
Luv2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
M2D that sounds about right, you have 4 axles on the ground when towing the 5th wheel and one axle is a dual wheel axle.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you sure you need an additional EZ-Pass for the fiver? It isn't powered, so it is really part of the tow vehicle -- much like a semi with a trailer.

Generally the systems (EZ-Tag in Houston) count axles. In fact when we have our toad behind our class A, it never even sees the EZ-Tag on the toad, but my coach gets charged for 4 axles.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not sure about EZ Pass but the few times we have had our MH on the NY State Thruway (rt.90) we were charged the over 7'6" higher rate.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Not sure about EZ Pass but the few times we have had our MH on the NY State Thruway (rt.90) we were charged the over 7'6" higher rate.
Yes, to get the lower rate you have to get the EZ Pass through NYS and send them proof that the transponder is for an RV (we sent a copy of the registration as proof as we don't have the RV registered in NYS).
Luv2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #8

Well now, sounds confusing, I travel with a motor home and tow car and do just fine with EZ pass in the MH and remove the car transponder while being towed. Don't know about the commercial part of your truck, and 2 transponders one for the 5er sounds out of wack. They did register my motor home as a Winnebagle so take that into consideration.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Yes, to get the lower rate you have to get the EZ Pass through NYS and send them proof that the transponder is for an RV (we sent a copy of the registration as proof as we don't have the RV registered in NYS).
Good to know. We have been on the Thruway with it a total of about 5 times in 4 years and don't see us using it much more but you never know.

In Florida with a SunPass they somehow can tell how many axles and bill us accordingly. So far they have got it right. Now they can also bill by plate. How they bill out of state tags I don't know. Some of the toll plazas don't seem to have humans anymore. I wonder how may jobs that cost.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
M2D

The two transponders situation works out that we have one for the truck alone. Then we will have one for the truck with trailer in tow. We are to keep the truck only device in a foil bag when we are using the truck/trailer transponder.

M2D
Old 10-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

Our domicile is SD, but we've purchased our ezpass & used it in PA. We have a SRW F-350 pulling a 38' Mobile Suite. In our case a single ezpass works for the truck only, truck+trailer & any other vehicle for which you include the vehicles license tag # on the application. In PA you can update the app. on-line if you say rent a u-haul (i did). This year we burned a lot of miles on the PA Turnpike, & it worked like a charm. Simply record all plate #'s, truck, trailer, car, etc. which will be using the ezpass. NOTE: I have no experience w/a commercial ezpass.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

IMO you need a different transponder for towing a trailer. Below is what I learned talking to IL I-Pass people:

I applied for an I-Pass (compatible with EZ-Pass) from IL. They told me I had to get a blue one for large vehicles/HDT's because of height and axle count. When I was towing the car it recognized the number of axles and charged accordingly. When I was not towing, MH only, it recognized that and charged accordingly.
I didn't apply to IN because they charge monthly rent, whether used or not. A movement is underway to make all interstates toll roads, per our President's objectives. Right now the states are working to combine the different toll systems into a common financial system, which to my understanding is the EZ-Pass system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
M2D

Well, we have an update on the EZ Pass situation. I filled out the form as the EZ pass service person suggested and sent it in for processing. We received a call yesterday from a very nice woman at EZ Pass. She had questions about our situation.

She established that it is our personal truck. It must be registered as commercial here in MA because it is a dually. I think that you might get by with a SRW one ton.

Using the 531 code we were told to use for the trailer/truck combo was not correct. We would have been charged as though the trailer had four axles with dual wheels. She understood very quickly that we had a fifth wheel trailer with two axles with single wheels.

She said that we only needed one transponder for the truck when towing in New England. The trailer would be sensed and charged automatically. When we travel out of New England we should use the truck/trailer combo transponder.

She also mentioned that out of MA it would take three days for additional money to be deposited in our account even though we have given them a credit card to renew our amounts as necessary. She suggested that if we anticipate going through tolls out of state that we add money to our account before we go. I have always thought that the credit card would cover it right away.

I will check our account to see if she indicated a code for our trailer so that I can tell you about the correct one. I spent a lot of time studying the EZ Pass systems of other states to see if we could get a better deal somewhere else but it did not seem as though it would work for us. I did notice that the pictures on the application for some other states gave a better presentation of a pick up towing a fiver than does the commercial MA application.

M2D
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

I have my EZ Pass out of New Hampshire. They just told me to go to my account and add the trailer to it. Once I did that, I got charged less.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote