Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
How does EZPass work when towing a camper? I am thinking about signing up for EZPass since I will be starting a new job and traveling the PA turnpike daily, but curious if I would still be able to use the EZPass lanes when traveling with the 5th wheel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #2

How does EZPass work when towing a camper? I am thinking about signing up for EZPass since I will be starting a new job and traveling the PA turnpike daily, but curious if I would still be able to use the EZPass lanes when traveling with the 5th wheel.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Just signed up myself.

Yes, the EZpass will pick up the trailer even though it is only setup up for the tow vehicle.

Actually that is the best way to do it in your case. They are making me sign up for a commercial account which is a little more money a year since my motorhome is over 7,000 lbs.

I guess it is better than waiting in line.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just my humble opinion being injected, after riding the full length of the PA pike, coming in from the UP in Michigan I feel that the EZ pass wouldn't have helped in anyway. I usually head for the wide lane toll booths which are usually on the extreme right and are not EZ pass. I save my paint job and the time lost is negligible. In Jersey I would have to pay extra for a commercial EZ pass and I don't agree with that. Again IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #5

We are in Md.. we have EZ pass and love it.Have a 37' MOHO and they just ask what model. Used it thur Penn. NJ. and Del. as well as Md of course,, no problems..never had to get a Commercial EZ pass.. Actually took the one we had in our Van and thet transfered it to our MOHO..

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #6

I have it and would not drive without it.Mass pike off 95 south is set up so only ez pass can go thru right lane . Save a lot of frustration at the bottle neck.My truck came with an extra small seatbelt,it is tough digging those quartas out,even for a slim guy like myself!!!!!!!

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have had my PA E-Zpass for over a year now and have had no problems. Whether I'm solo or have the TT in tow, I have always been billed correctly.

Even though I don't use it that frequently, I find it has the following advantages:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>I stay dry and comfortable during inclement weather as you don't have to open the window.
<LI>I don't have to remove my seat belt, get my wallet out and be distracted from the business of driving while I find the money to pay the toll.
<LI>There's no toll ficket to misplace or lose (I used to jam the ticket between the sun visor and the roof liner. One warm, sunny afternoon, I pulled the visor down to block the sun and the toll ticket got sucked right out the window.).
<LI>Unless there's a lot of traffic, you never have to stop at a toll booth.
<LI>I no longer have to "watch my mirrors" while trying to get as close as possible to the left side of the toll booth.[/list]Last summer, my neighbor did some camping with us and I sat on the side of the road for 20 minutes waiting for him to get through the toll booths at Breezewood because he didn't have E-Zpass.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm also in the catagory of "I wouldn't be without it"

In my case, I signed up for it because I drive the PA turnpike daily for work. I ended up getting 1 for all 3 of the vehicles I occasionally drive to work. Since I also tow 2 of those vehicles as a toad behind the motorhome, I enjoy the EZpass with the motorhome also.

As Frank said, it "knows" the number of axles you have as you enter the toll plaza and charges correctly (at least in PA) I actually leave the EZPass transponder in the toad, and it correctly weighs the combined motorhome and toad and charges me correctly.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:07 PM   #9

we have Sunpass in Florida, I love the convenience of it, having it actually saves money on some toll roads compared to cash tolls, while towing they just make an axle adjustment on your account. Some of the toll roads have a toll booth bypass lane so you don't even have to slow down which id nice when towing.

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My home address is in PA but I have my EZPass from NJ because they don't make you get a commercial pass like PA does. PA commercial EZPass requires minimum yearly payments that are exhorbitant and ridiculous for an RVer.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have a question that Ding-a-ling might have answered. Can you get your ezpass from any state? We don't have any toll roads in Vermont but we travel with the fifth wheel and always think how convenient it would be to have an ezpass. Is it possible?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 AM   #12

What is the weight limit in PA before they require a commercial account? My truck alone is about 7,600 pounds, and with the trailer I am approaching the 17,000 lb limit for a class 2 vehicle and could possible be over when loaded for a long trip. I have only ever been charged a class 2 rate at the regular toll plaza, but am concerned what would happen if I did go over the weight.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #13

Lynn, as far as I know you can get a pass through any of the individual states web site.I know a lot of NH friends of mine have had the pass way before they installed it on there system.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #14

I have had it for a couple of years and wouldn't be without. makes running up to my boat in Gloucester a lot easier! Never a problem towing or otherwise. I do however prepay as I don't trust them having a credit card number in their system. Scotty.