RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Vinny, that contradicts what I was told and what was done. I registered both the MH and TOAD to the one transponder. If I go to my account at the NC site, they are both there.

The vehicles have to be registered to the transponder. If you go to you account and click on vehicles and transponders, and then click on vehicle list, there is a place to add a license plate.

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #30
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I want to clear up one thing on the NC Quick Pass and it is true in other states as well. The Transponder is for the Licence Plate that it is issued to and that plate only. If you go through a toll booth with that transponder on a different car you are subject to a fine.
We have both a TX Tag and an EZPass. What you wrote is true of TX but not EZPass. I just looked at my Maryland EZPass account and there is a list of transponders and a list of vehicles and they are not correlated with each other.

OTOH on my TX account about a year ago I noticed that some tolls weren't shown. When I checked into it, I discovered that I had made a one-character error in a license plate when I entered it online. As a result, the system wouldn't debit the toll for the vehicle because the photo showed that it wasn't the plate on file.

FWIW, a number of years ago I had to drive most of the length of the PA Turnpike in the MH. When I checked my EZPass account I was able to tell that I had been charged for the weight of the vehicle even though my EZPass transponder was a "plain vanilla" 2-axle type. I distinctly remember it because I paid >$40 for the trip. This convinced me that the type of transponder doesn't matter all that much.

Joel (AKA docj)

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #31

I have my car and MH on my one Florida SunPass. At one time I had 2 cars on it.

I didn't move the pass from car to car and SunPass figured it out by the plate # and charged the pass.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #32

The Florida Sunpass does allow different cars on the same transponder, however it does not function as an EZ-pass and is only good in FL, GA, & NC. There are several versions of the NC quicckpass. The one that functions as an EZ-pass is vehicle specific and only good with one license tag. I did not really look at the other version since we have a Sunpass for the car that we use only in FL.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Vinny, that contradicts what I was told and what was done. I registered both the MH and TOAD to the one transponder. If I go to my account at the NC site, they are both there.

The vehicles have to be registered to the transponder. If you go to you account and click on vehicles and transponders, and then click on vehicle list, there is a place to add a license plate.
Sorry Gunny,

It may have changed but I do have three transponders. One for the Motor Home (three axle +), one for the JEEP and one for the Mercedes Benz (both 2 axle). My previous MB could not have one on the inside of the windshield because the windshield blocked the signal so it had to have it on the front license plate bracket. This newer MB now has it inside like the rest of the vehicles. In the long run for me it works just fine and I don't have to transfer the transponder. I did not know about using one for more than one car.

So if you have the M H and the Toad on the same Transponder then you only have a two axle M H, correct. With the three axle M H it would then charge the same for the M H and the car so you would be paying the higher rate for the car all of the time.

I have read that one of the reasons it is taking so long to get all of the systems under one roof is that the one roof system requires all to have license plate readers and some do not.

Anyway you will be glad you went to the NC Quick Pass. It covers way more states than any of the others
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #34

Quote:

That what I was told last week when I ordered mine ----They sent a sticker for the Toad to use if I did not want to move the transponder from MH to toad "said keep it in the glove box in the wrap in came in"
Old 06-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #35
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Vinny, I have 3 axles but on the web site it says 2. I have queried them about that. I don't want a $1000 fine next time I use it. :-)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #36

I just ordered a FL E-pass Xtra that covers FL toll roads and works in the 18 states that use E-ZPass. No annual/monthly fees. Just have to preload it with some money. Can be moved vehicle to vehicle. Have to buy the transponder and preload a min of $10 in it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is the reply I received from NC.

"Thank you for contacting the NC Quick Pass Customer Service Center Support Team. We appreciate your time and effort in contacting us. We would be happy to assist you with your inquiry. No, this will not be a problem. The system will adjust to the axle weight."
Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Here is the reply I received from NC.

"Thank you for contacting the NC Quick Pass Customer Service Center Support Team. We appreciate your time and effort in contacting us. We would be happy to assist you with your inquiry. No, this will not be a problem. The system will adjust to the axle weight."
Sounds good to go.

Things change within these systems it becomes hard to keep up.

As I said for some reason the folks at this NC agency seem to want to help instead of hinder. Which is a good thing. Anyway I'm not going to change the way I'm set up as I don't think it will make any difference. Just didn't want to see you get caught either.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
- If you have a motorhome that weighs over 15,000 GVW or has more than 4 tires you must get a commercial account.
Why would the number of tires make a difference?
I have dualies on my Class-C, so I have six tires.
But, every toll booth I've ever encountered counted me as 2 axles, the same as a passenger car.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #40

ezPass - How it impacts a motorhome!

Got ours from Ohio. The one we keep in the coach is for towing the Toad so 4 axles and based on weight. Number of tires in the axle didnít matter.

We have a second one in a foil pouch that is for the Toad alone if needed when sightseeing.

Depends on what state you get them from it appears since ours is on a personal account.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #41

For a NYS EZ-Pass on a >7000 lb vehicle, you have to mail or fax them the application. You can't buy one of those transponders online or in one of the many retail places you can buy a car one.

If you provide proof of vehicle registration, by fax or mail, then you can also get the Thruway MHM or Thruway Towing discount plan. That does require an additional form AND proof of registration. Note if your paperwork says "title" but not "registration", NY won't accept it (had this problem with a new RV where title and registration paper is the same for the first year.)

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/discount.html

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

These will give you essentially passenger car per-axle rates for the Thruway (I90/I87) (you still pay heavy/tall vehicle rates for all other tolls). They are a bit of work to get, but if you traverse the Thruway they are worth the effort. Just be very, very explicit in your application if you need both a transponder for coach only AND one for coach towing, AND which discount plans you want. Be prepared to make multiple calls/faxes to get this right - it took us over 3 months the first time so plan ahead.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #42

Thank goodness for New Jersey, all I did was add the RV and car trailer. No questions asked and never a problem any place its used.

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, toad