Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
EZ Pass

In Florida, the Sunpass/EzPass people told us just leave the Pass on the toad. Do not need one for the RV in the case of towing. The sensors will record the number of axles (8) and assign the toll to the toad. We know from experience that putting the pass in the RV will result in random toll for 4, 6 or 8 axles and charge the Pass in the RV.

And then another charge (by plate) for the toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Give me a break, my head's spinning with all the input. Which is the cheapest/ tag going through the toll with tow. I’d like to switch from PA
Thanks
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #45

Oklahoma toll roads

Here in toll road rich Oklahoma we are charged by the axle. Our RV has 2 axles and our toad has 2 axles. Just using a 2 axle transponder in both vehicles seemed easy enough to me since I use our toad for my daily driver and sometimes don't have the toad in tow, but no. Our Pikepass representative insisted I have a 4 axle transponder to use when towing and a 2 axle version when not. She insisted having the 2 axle version in each vehicle would double bill. Incidentally, on a few of our toll roads the 4 axle charge is more than the charge for two 2 axle vehicles. They have their ways.
kenginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #46

I have a NY issued EZ Pass. 32K RV and the toad both on one account. Transponder is normally in the RV but if using the toad locally, I just move the transponder to the toad. Used from IL to NY to Orlando and has always charged appropriately.

Only issue we’ve run into is FL with the Sunpass. Orlando area now accepts EZ Pass so did get charged once on both accounts.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #47

Ez pass is good for many States including NY, PA, DE, VA, OH and many more go online and see then all ( just did the trip from Michigan to Delaware one pass, as been said shield the toad pass and you good to go

Zzotte
Old 06-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EZ Pass

Wow. Just dealt with Pa EZpass today. Here what I had to do
1. Transponder for M/H
2. Transponder for M/H and Toad
3. The Toad gets removed and put in alum foil when in the toad mode

We have 2 different transponders for the MotorHome

Just need to Remember to switch transponders if you do not have the toad

Best of luck
Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #49

I have a virginia ez pass and contacted them about a fine I received driving through NJ, NJ dropped the fine and i just had to pay the toll. I contacted VA ez pass and they explained that on my Jeep wrangler, it happens a lot due to the windscreen being too vertical. After asking about my MH/ toad situation. they gave me a tag mounted expass for the jeep then two others, one for the MH without a toad and another one MH with toad. when using either one they supplied a shielded envelope so I wouldn't get double billed.
Well see how this works out.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Blue ox
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Limey0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #50

American Coach Owners Club
We have an EZ Pass from NH specifically for our 42ft. DP, and one for our car which is also our toad. I shield the car one and run from New Hampshire to Buffalo, NY, or NH to I-90W to NY I-87S heading to Harrisburg on many occasions over the years without any issues. I seem to always get billed correctly whether the toad is on or not. Safe travels.
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EZ Pasd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
Hello all,
We will be driving on toll roads this summer with our motorhome with a toad for the first time (we are traveling from Michigan to Vermont and we have ezpass) and I was wondering a couple of thing:
- do we need to have a tag in the toad as well?
- if you have a tag axle do you have to get a different transponder?
- if you have a transponder for the toad, do you need to shield it so they don’t double bill you?
Thanks all!
You need to register your EZ Pass transponder so that it’s registered as RV with tow vehicle, you will need to get another one that is just for your tow vehicle when you are driving that by itself. When towing you will just need the RV transponder on your RV windshield. The tow vehicle one does not need to be placed on windshield.
lsuarez53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #52

MD EZPass

We went to MD EzPass office and asked if we needed two passes. They told us... No, if towing. just leave the transponder in/ on the lead vehicle (RV in our case). Said they charge by the axle... so car just adds two axles to the RV two axles. But if we drive separately then we would two.

By the way, speaking of charge policies, if you disconnect BEFORE entering into a Nat’l Park... they will charge you twice! Sometimes they cut you a break, most of the time... even after we explained that we separated just down the road because Nat’l Parks usually have such tight RV maneuvering areas/ spaces and thought it would be helpful, some still respond I’m sorry those are the rules we have to follow.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #53

Use NY. You get a discount. You get two transponders. Blue for toad. White for no toad.
Robert.stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by f365gt4 View Post
Give me a break, my head's spinning with all the input. Which is the cheapest/ tag going through the toll with tow. I’d like to switch from PA
Thanks
It depends on where you travel most often. Sometimes, the state issuing the EZ-Pass offers a slight discount to those with that state's transponder. IF you travel the NY Thruway, it pays to get a NY one IF you get the MHM or MHM-Towing Thruway discount plan as it will save you significant $ on the Thruway tolls.

We have a Maine one for the toad, since that's the state we most likely drive the toad around in and there is a discount for ME-issued transponders.

EZ-Pass states all charge the same amount otherwise, no matter whose transponder you have.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
Hello all,
We will be driving on toll roads this summer with our motorhome with a toad for the first time (we are traveling from Michigan to Vermont and we have ezpass) and I was wondering a couple of thing:
- do we need to have a tag in the toad as well?
- if you have a tag axle do you have to get a different transponder?
- if you have a transponder for the toad, do you need to shield it so they don’t double bill you?
Thanks all!
Can I chime in about the FL Sunpass? I only have a sticker transponder on my toad, because that is what we use to explore the area we are in, and that is the vehicle that will accumulate the most tolls. When we are traveling with the MH and pass thru a toll booth with the toad is attached, the Sunpass on the toad accurately charges us. No other transponder is needed.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #56

We used our NY EZ pass when we purchased our rig in Minn. Used it from Minn back to NY on interstates, no issues. Wish I knew about the alternate route in Ohio, although staying overnight in an Ohio rest area was very convenient (and only $20). We pulled a TOAD to NC from NY and back. Just used the RV transponder, kept the TOAD transponder in the foil bag in the glove compartment. No issues.
blackhorse27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, toad