RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
Hello all,
We will be driving on toll roads this summer with our motorhome with a toad for the first time (we are traveling from Michigan to Vermont and we have ezpass) and I was wondering a couple of thing:
- do we need to have a tag in the toad as well?
- if you have a tag axle do you have to get a different transponder?
- if you have a transponder for the toad, do you need to shield it so they donít double bill you?
Thanks all!
To the first question no, if you do you may get billed for the motorhome with a vehicle in tow and the actual vehicle.

To the second question, nothing special for a 5ag axle, the charge is by axle so you will be billed by the axle.

I would put the towed vehicle's transponder either in the tin shielded bag or put it inside the motorhome far from the windshield.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #58

5 pages, I didn’t read them all so this may be a repeat.
I have the Florida toll pass, it’s on my toad, for ten years never had a problem, wherever the DP goes the toad goes, this year I did get a bill from them, they got the DP license plate, odd, so I added it to the toll pass. No more problems now.
“Ask for forgiveness” heard that from a number of Police, they are way too busy with important crimes to be tracking down toll violators. You get a bill pay it.

pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #59

Most areas in PA since they are eliminating toll takers will send you a bill in the mail if you exit a toll road without an EZ Pass. BTW my EZPass inPA is registered to 3 different vehicles. Just go to PA EZ Pass and add vehicles via license plate.
Iím not towing a toad with a MH. I have a dually and my DD on the same EZPass. With the dually sometimes I have aTruck camper on it.

Whether the DD or the camper sometimes i tow a boat. Never had a problem. They bill my account what they determine my fee is and I donít care. The right charge is on my credit card. And no one is sending me any extra bills and no authorities are knocking at my door.

I think folks are over thinking this. The state will figure out how to get their money.

And btw I went over skyline bridge in Tampa several years ago without the sunshine pass. Just with my ez pass. The state of Florida graciously sent me a bill asking for a payment of about $4.00. Going over the bridge at the time my wife was warning me that there were threatening signs about $300 fines for not paying the tolls.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #60

I have the PA EZPass for my motorhome and toad. It's as stated previously, if you're anything over 7500 you'll need to use the commercial application, which has a category for motorhomes. There you'll need to pick the weight class and number of axles, including the toad. I've used it in several states, including Ohio and Indiana, and if course PA, and it worked very well. You don't get much of a discount in OH or IN but in PA it's between 20 and 25 %.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #61

And as far as I know and last time I checked using an ez pass provides a discount to the toll fees. At least it does to me in PA. And I have no additional fees. And I don’t wait in lines to pay cash.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #62

I’m more concerned about my vehicle registration cost of over $300 per year to PA on my dually than I am over a couple bucks on my ez pass.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #63
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hello all,
We will be driving on toll roads this summer with our motorhome with a toad for the first time (we are traveling from Michigan to Vermont and we have ezpass) and I was wondering a couple of thing:
- do we need to have a tag in the toad as well?
- if you have a tag axle do you have to get a different transponder?
- if you have a transponder for the toad, do you need to shield it so they don’t double bill you?
Thanks all!
Well, now that you have been answered by half, or so, of the United States toll system, have you made a decision.

I think if you read and digest every post you will come up with the easiest State for an EZPass wil be North Carolina. You will get a transponder and a window sticker but just put the window sticker in the glove box and transfer the transponder between vehicles. Ask for a second set of stickies for the transponder or go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy some of the same for the windshield side of the TOAD.

Very simple.

This thread is almost as interesting as a driver license thread!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
NC Quick Pass is what I have. Two cars and one 45 k pound motor home. They have my credit card that they charge when the account gets down to the $25 to maintain a $50 balance. I don't remember what the JEEP and the MH transponders cost but just got one for the second car and it was under $10. The JEEP transponder goes in the anti static bag when it is the towed. NC charges by the axle and there is no difference if you have over three. Three, four or six are the same rate as far as NC is concerned. How other states charge I do not know nor do I care, I go through the toll booth and Quick Pass pays them and debits my account. All of my vehicles are FL registration. My residence is in FL as well as my mailing address. I don't think they care, you are a customer and they have something to sell, simple as that.

It works all up and down the East Coast and as far West as Illinois. But growing all of the time. Texas has their head where the sun don't shine so it doesn't work there but in some cases the one in the DFW area doesn't work in Houston or El Paso. It's Texas go figure, they don't like each other they certainly won't like anyone else. Now it is true that they do like other Texacians way before New Yorkers or Ohioans, but just barely, "Bless their Hearts". Before anyone goes off the handle I lived there for 20 years and have a daughter-in-law and two grand daughters that all were born there. It's just a fact.

It gets worse the farther West you go and you almost have to have one for each of the other states. But there is a ray of sunshine. The Feds pasted a law that was supposed to go into effect by the end of 2017. Care to guess how that went. So now there is a company that is offering a Pass that they claim works everywhere, that is if you don't count the 12 states out West where it doesn't, but they are working on that. The problem is they charge for their transponders plus a monthly fee of X$ if you spend less than I believe $50 a month and a larger fee if you go over, plus they hold a reserve on you credit card as well. Did I mention this company is a Texas based company? Told you they don't like the rest of the country.

I'm looking into the fact that Newmar says that they will have an option in 2020 that is a Universal Toll Tag. I have inquired but can't find much out. When I'm there for service next month I will look into it. I suspect it is the Texas company I just talked about.

So for now I'm keeping my NC Quick Pass. Here is their contact information. "Customer Service Center at 1-877-7MY-PASS (1-877-769-7277), or go to www.myncquickpass.com and click Contact Us".

If you are in Raleigh NC the main office is in a suburb called Morrisville NC just south of RDU airport. Easy to get to and easy folks to deal with. But I do think you can do it all on line and they will mail your transponders to you.
There arenít tolls out west unless maybe CA, which I try to avoid but so far havenít seen tolls where I go there.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #65

We have a Maine EZ pass (good for most east coast tolls) and a Florida Sun pass. When you get the EZ pass you 'should' register it for the class of vehicle and the number of axles you have, so a tag axle will cost extra. So far down the east coast I've used my EZ pass registered to my toad and had no issues even though I'm 4 axles and only reistered for 2. The EZ pass is an RFID (most of them are) so the radio signal may or may not cause a response from your EZ pass if it is not in the windshield. Usually I put my EZ pass in a metal box when I don't want it to be charged.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #66

EZ Pass

When traveling through states that use an EZ pass, my wife and I were told to tape foil over the toad EZ pass device to avoid the dup charges. Seems to work. We tried a reflector sun shad on the dash. That had mixed results.
hboxberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #67
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboxberger View Post
When traveling through states that use an EZ pass, my wife and I were told to tape foil over the toad EZ pass device to avoid the dup charges. Seems to work. We tried a reflector sun shad on the dash. That had mixed results.

It would be more reliable to take the pass off the windshield and place it into a foil "pouch", either the one it was shipped in or one you make out of aluminum foil. The purpose is to create a Faraday cage around the device. Placing foil on one side only is not 100% effective.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #68

You must have the easy pass in the coach set up for both toad and motorhome. Otherwise the cameras will see both, and send you a bill in the mail for the toad. Stan

2013 Holiday Rambler 36 pft, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #69

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36PFT View Post
... the cameras will see both .... Stan
Not to be too picky, but....
The cameras are only used to capture the license plate numbers of violators.

The tolls are read by an antenna above the roadway that sends an electromagnetic pulse to wake up your transponder. Your transponder then responds with your EZ-Pass ID number and goes back to sleep. Because the little transponder draws near zero current when it is sleeping, the battery can last over ten years.

A transponder will work anywhere that is within range of the antenna and not blocked by radio-dense objects. It is NOT strictly line-of-sight. That is why it is important to wrap your transponder in aluminum foil if you don't want it to be pinged. Just putting it in the glove compartment may not stop it from responding.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
EZ Pass - East Coast

Quote:
From what I can tell the ez pass bought in Pennsylvania is different than the one you buy in New York. New York has a different transponder for each class of motorhome while it appears that Pennsylvania doesnít. I have found the document for New York but have not yet found one for Pennsylvania. I have a transponder from Pennsylvania that I have used in the motorhome (without the toad) and it worked just fine, however the next time I will be pulling the toad. I also have a New York transponder which only works with regular vehicles.

Anyone from Pennsylvania that uses their transponder have any input here? Would like to know if you had to purchase a special transponder for the rv pulling the toad.
The way Ez Pass told me to do it with a 5th wheel and F350 DRW is to purchase 2 passes. One for the truck when not pulling the trailer and one when you are pulling. You then wrap the one you're NOT using in aluminum foil. If you try to use them both at the same time you'll get double charged

KenD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, toad