Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Question Tolls on toad and tag axle motorhomes?

Hello all,
We will be driving on toll roads this summer with our motorhome with a toad for the first time (we are traveling from Michigan to Vermont and we have ezpass) and I was wondering a couple of thing:
- do we need to have a tag in the toad as well?
- if you have a tag axle do you have to get a different transponder?
- if you have a transponder for the toad, do you need to shield it so they don’t double bill you?
Thanks all!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

Shield the Toad EZpass otherwise they will double bill you.

The tolls count axles as they pass thru.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

You can avoid Ohio tolls by taking US 2 from Toledo to US 90 in Cleveland. A lot of trucks take that road and most of the route is 4 lane with the exception of first 20 miles east out of Toledo. There are no stops once you clear Toledo.

Yes, disable the toad transponder.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
You can avoid Ohio tolls by taking US 2 from Toledo to US 90 in Cleveland. A lot of trucks take that road and most of the route is 4 lane with the exception of first 20 miles east out of Toledo. There are no stops once you clear Toledo.

Yes, disable the toad transponder.
I agree with this suggestion. US 2 is a good highway and much cheaper.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #5

For our toll tags in Texas, I go to the website and suspend the toll tag for the toad. Before I knew to do that, I got double billed. I contacted NTTA, our toll agency, and they cheerfully refunded the extra charge and told me how to suspend the toll tag for future use. I am not a fan of toll roads, but when the agency does me right, I will give them their due credit.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

For EZPass.

They charge for all axles on the RV including the TAG. You will be 3 axles for the RV and an additional axle for the toad so 4 axles when towing.

For the RV, When you purchase the one for the RV you put in the number of axles when you register it.

With the Toad on its own, if you plan to use it on it's own through tolls you get a separate one for that.

Whenever you are pulling the Toad you need a third one they are blue in color. You take both the RV one and the Toad one off and shield them with foil they provide and put the blue in the RV it covers the RV and the Toad.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #7

From what I can tell the ez pass bought in Pennsylvania is different than the one you buy in New York. New York has a different transponder for each class of motorhome while it appears that Pennsylvania doesn’t. I have found the document for New York but have not yet found one for Pennsylvania. I have a transponder from Pennsylvania that I have used in the motorhome (without the toad) and it worked just fine, however the next time I will be pulling the toad. I also have a New York transponder which only works with regular vehicles.

Anyone from Pennsylvania that uses their transponder have any input here? Would like to know if you had to purchase a special transponder for the rv pulling the toad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

ezPass - How it impacts a motorhome!

Hello all,

I spent some time investigating how the ezPass system works (used from Illinois through New York). Here is what I found (based on PA as the source):

- If you have a motorhome that weighs under 15,000 GVW, has ONLY 4 tires on the ground there is a special transponder that you can get that goes on a personal account. The normal personal account covers vehicles that weigh under 7500 lbs and you can put up to 4 vehicles on the personal account. You CAN NOT pull a toad with any transponder on a personal account. For personal accounts they are about $35 (most of which goes against tolls) and about $3 a year to maintain the account.
- If you have a motorhome that weighs over 15,000 GVW or has more than 4 tires you must get a commercial account. Under this account there are special transponders that cover how you normally ride (if you pull a toad, how many tires, etc). So if you pull a toad you need to have a different transponder than if you just run with the motorhome by itself.
- When you go to get one you need to figure out which one covers the bulk of how you travel. Accounts of this class cost about $100 which goes against tolls and $10 for the transponder. Annual costs are about $1.50 per month that you use the transponder.
- Finally, if you have a transponder for your toad you must wrap in in aluminum foil or put in the original static bag that it came with that way they don’t register when you go through the ezPass lanes and you get double billed.

Bottom line is that only for the small class B’s can you use the personal account (remember the weight limit) otherwise you will need to get a commercial account. It is a pain because you can not have both types of accounts under a single login but need to create two separate accounts.

Interesting side note, according to the person that helped me stated that in PA they actually weigh your vehicle in many of the lanes but in New York their system counts axles. Either way having an ezPass is well worth the money!

I hope this helps any of you that travel the northeast portion of the US!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 AM   #9

Maybe try a different state for EZPass. I have a personal account in Jersey and have 5 vehicles and 2 trailers on the account, one being the MH towing a trailer!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #10

Have a personal account wit 2 car and 1 motorhome transponders
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

I have a DE personal account and have my 34 ft class a on it. I've been using it for almost 2 years without a problem.
hoaxci5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Maybe try a different state for EZPass. I have a personal account in Jersey and have 5 vehicles and 2 trailers on the account, one being the MH towing a trailer!
Agree....try New York. If you send them proof your account is for a motor home, you get charged the lower car rate - you will need an "special" transponder for your towed vehicle, supplied.

I have been with NY EZPass for about 5 years and was not charged for the transponders or any other fee. I do have a auto fill account and keep about $25 in the account.

Good luck,

g
Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #13

Indy Glen is right. Our NY account is very easy to use. We have transponders in all of our cars and the coach. When we tow we have a special transponder for the coach and we remove the one in the car and store it. Works great and we really appreciate the lower costs of using it.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Agree....try New York. If you send them proof your account is for a motor home, you get charged the lower car rate - you will need an "special" transponder for your towed vehicle, supplied.

I have been with NY EZPass for about 5 years and was not charged for the transponders or any other fee. I do have a auto fill account and keep about $25 in the account.

Good luck,

g
Interesting, I wonder if this is a sign that all of these are merging. I just purchased an ezPass from New York (accidentally left ours at home in the RV) and they stated it was good for ONLY 4 tire passenger vehicles (up to 4) as I asked when I bought it. You might be “grandfathered” in but it appears that they are all going to this special type of transponder. I will check with the other states and see if it is any different now. I originally had my motorhome on my personal account in PA with no issue although I never had a toad behind it and everything went through fine was well so maybe this is part of the overall national trend to consolidate the ezpass system.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, toad