Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
F-450 dually valve extensions with TST TPMS

Hi everyone,
For those with a Dually and a TST (Trucking System Tech) TPMS, I was wondering what valve extensions did you go with to attach your sensors to the truck tires? The valves face one another and it seems impossible to attach them without some kind of extension.
Thanks for the help!

lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sure someone will chime in but I would call Mike at TST. They are a very good company and will assist you. Best of luck?

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks, I talked to Mike. His solution was to upgrade to Flow thru 507 with a good discount. The cheaper way of course is the extensions, so if anyone has any advice to the pros/cons of extension I would love to hear them.
Thanks,
Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Leon,

There are two kinds of extensions - those under pressure at all times, and those that are not. The former depress the Schrader valve on the valve stem when installed (that keeps them pressurized) and provide a second Schrader valve at the end of the extension. The latter has a flexible rod that passes through the extension which depresses the Schrader valve on the valve stem when the air chuck or tire gauge is used on the end of the extension; these extensions are not designed to be under pressure at all times.

Therefore, if you want to use the valve stem extensions with your TST system, I'd suggest the flexible armored steel (or solid steel tube, if you can find them) extensions that are designed to always be under pressure, but with the caveat that some of these extensions have failed in the past. Of course, should that happen, your TST system should alert you.

I've used the flexible armored steel extensions without any problems on my 1996 Ram 3500 dually, but have not used any extensions on the last 2 Ram duallies - of course, I don't run a TPMS, so my needs differ from yours.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Thank you Rusty for the explanation of the valve extensions!! I have been doing some ready on the failures on the extensions and you are correct that the TST would alert me if that was occurring. I did come across this system "DuallyValve" this seems to eliminate the possiblity of a lose connection but I will have the expense of removing all tires since it replaces the valve stems. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Leon
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Interesting, but pricey, especially with the installation costs you mention. But then again, it's only money!!

Those appear to be similar to the solid tubular extensions, but just eliminate the valve stem Schrader valve and threaded fitting at the extension to the valve stem - in other words, they are just valve stems with integral extensions which position the Schrader valve at the ends.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #7

I've had the s/s extensions with the pressure sensors on my dually for the past eight years without significant problems. Just replaced them this year with a new set since two did develop slight leaks. Makes checking pressures and installing/ removing the sensors a breeze.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2011 Aspect 30c with Alcoa 16 aluminum wheels. On TST's recommendation, I went with this company who recommended extensions based on my 507FT sensors:
Front: http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv....alve-extenders
Rear: http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv....ckups-8001-180

Unfortunately, the front ones were an interference fit with the wheel and could not be used. The rear outers were an interference fit with the wheel and could not be used. After discussion with Jane, she said my best choice was to replace the stems and not use extensions. Since I did not want to remove all six tire to install new stems just to use the 507's, I decided to return both the extensions and the TST.

Since then, Michellin announced a recall on the LTX M/S LT22575 R16 tires and will replace all for free. Excellent opportunity to get new stems installed for free, so I purchased this set from the same company:
http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv....-w-front-stems

Schedule for next week at Discount tire.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Thank you Ed,
I really did not want anything that long that require me to drill or rivet into the chrome to support the L-bracket. But I am looking at the replacement stems.
Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #10

Leon,
Have had the very same trouble with my 450 and the TST--company did not seem to be interested in fixing a non-problem--could not understand since "so many Ford duallys are using their sensors." I have tried both types of extensions, and many sizes and shapes--all have developed leaks, or the schrader stem bent. I just don't use them on the truck--I have the 19.5s and in 162000 miles, one flat.
Please let us know if you find a solution. Or PM me--I would really like to monitor all ten tires.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Joe, thank you for your input. I think now with your post I will go with the new stems. I will let you know which ones and my results. Will be more expensive with the dismounting and remounting of the tires. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #12

I've had the same issue on my F350. Couldn't get the sensors to fit... and if they were on the tire stems, couldn't check or add air.

I elected to go with the internal mount units from TST. They are pricier... and I spent extra getting the units installed (one of which was bad and needed to be replaced). But all are working well now and I can get air to all tires and accurate pressure and temperature readings.