Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fair price from motorhome dealer

Not that we are total fools but as like any auto sale the price is not what we see on sticker. So what is a good rule to start with a price when your looking at sticker shock.
We are thinking that if this years travels go good we might want to get a new GAS or used DP, up to 99,000. but don't want to give any more $$ than. We have seen so many different price point on the same MH from different dealers and we have no trouble going out of state to pick our new MH up.
Are far price is all we ask

Jerry Donna, Suffolk, Va
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2

I used NADA and started not at average retail but low retail and look for a discount of at least 30% off that. Remember condition is critical. My coach was sold by a wholesaler and it had not had much normal maintenance. I have put another $15 k in it (shocks, brakes, tiger track, tires, etc) but I bought it for about 55% of low retail.

Find the coach or coaches you like. Look on the internet for others of the same model. On mine prices varied as much as 125%.

Good luck

rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Jerry

I've read on another site where people send a email to dealers all over listing type of RV they want and the add ons. seem to get very good deals for new RV 25-28% off MSRP.

Might try this. You might even be surprised at the results.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Jack, Donna, my last purchaces we`re almost embarrasing that they took such low offers. My wife is really a tough cooky when it comes to bartering. After it was all over, and we we`re signing the papers, the sales manager told us that the blue book prices are for the bank only. They sell rv`s for whatever it takes to put the deal together. Sometimes that means way below low book. He said if you don`t try the low deal, you`ll never know. BillP.
BillP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the thoughts and I will have fun at least
Old 05-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #6

When I bought mine, I gave him a price that I thought he would never go for, but one that i was prepared to buy at. When he said ok and I didn't jump right away, he thought I was going to walk so he sweetened it even more and then I finally took it. I think I got a good deal and am happy with the coach.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Jerry

I've read on another site where people send a email to dealers all over listing type of RV they want and the add ons. seem to get very good deals for new RV 25-28% off MSRP.

Might try this. You might even be surprised at the results.

jack
This is the approach we took in early 07 to buy our new DP... except I Googled the make and model I wanted and the the list of dealers that had them listed popped up! I sent many emails asking their best price. About half responded with the expected "call me and we'll talk" line but about 6 responded with prices around 24-28% below MSRP. I took those emails to my local dealer and offered them 24% below and they took it.

I probably paid more than I needed to but as a newbie I felt having a relationship with a local dealer would be beneficial... as compared to taking a coach in for service in my home town which I had purchased on the other side of the country. I wanted to pay a "fair" price and I think I got a "fair" deal. I was always happy with their service and support. I would sure imagine that discounts on new units are deeper these days.

I don't have any insights on purchasing used.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
We bought our coach in March of this year. The dealer I bought from first came off the MSRP 28%, which was the best deal I had found up to that point. I didn't let him know, but I was shocked, since his price was already several k's less than the best price I had gotten up to that point. Long story short I bought the rig for 32% below MSRP. I was happy and we love the coach. I was looking at their website recently and found my rig listed for 1K more than I paid, but the dealership is giving a $3K gas card. Thinking about calling them and asking for my gas card, I'm sure they will give it to me, hahahaha
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
He'll yes they owe you 3000 gas I would like to have that....
That's near 6000 miles
Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I purchased my Cynara in March for 33% off MSRP. I found it on rvtraderonline.com. There were many similar rigs listed at that price so I shopped for the features that were important to me. I would HIGHLY recommend Abel RV in Bartlett, IL -- just west of Chicago. Charlotte made sure everything went smooth and everyone there was a pleasure to meet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #11

Market price not fair price

Do you homework before you leave your home.

Check the usual places and make printouts of like models and have them in your bag of tricks.

Then put on your big shoes and hard hat and visit the dealer.

You need to know what the market value is, and what you are planing to pay before you leave.

Once the shark on the lot snags a hook it is difficult to investigate their offer.

If you know the market bears a certian amount for said coach, then you know where the dealer is, then you start to twist their arm, and plant your large feet.

Local dealer drove one to our home after we could not come to terms, they could not understand "no thanks".

The dealers are hurting to make the sale, and since you have the money you can be in control, doing your homework puts you 100% in control because you can always walk out the door.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We got our DSDP for 154,700, sticker was 211,500. We ordered about $35,000 in options. That was in 2002 dollars. I figure we got an OK deal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We got our DSDP for 154,700, sticker was 211,500. We ordered about $35,000 in options. That was in 2002 dollars. I figure we got an OK deal.
Just curious Mr_D, is that $35K part of the $211K or on top of it?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #14

Dealers profit is 40% MRSP coach 50% on the extra options.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote