Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Fake alarm system

We boondock a lot and I have been wanting a fake alarm system. I went to Radio Shack and bought a little flashing red light run by 2 AA batteries. It has a hard plastic case, an on/off switch and a red light that flashes about once every 3 seconds. The whole thing is just a little larger than the two batteries. A whopping price of 3 bucks. I bought 2. We have the velcro stickup buttons. I'll put one by the entrance door and one by the drivers seat. They do not do anything but flash a small red light, but I think they will fool a bugler or at least make him move on to a coach without a "security system". Certainly worth the 3bucks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you are boondocking would there be anyone around to hear a real alarm?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

We are usually within earshot of another human. The their also doesn't know if the alarm is hooked up to call the police. The idea is to make the their bypass mine and go to what they think is an unprotected coach. I knew when I spent the $3 that it wasn't going to be fool proof, but it might deter a their. I suspect we will maybe even use it at a campground if we are gone for a while. I already have rechargeable AA's so it will be almost free.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
For $9.95 you can get the one below at Radio Shack. No blinking light on the outside but the alarm can wake the dead.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just having the ADT alarms stickers on the window has worked.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #6

The door alarm looks pretty neat. I have a feeling my wife would be setting it off regularly though. The information on it is at the link below.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...0118_PM_EN.pdf
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somewhere I have an actual motion detector alarm I can lay on my dash.

But frankly.. Blinking light with another nearby rig w/o blinking light.. Most pro-burglers are goign for the no-light special

Kids on the other hand (pranksters) who do thousands of dollars in damage but may well not take anything (other than beer out of the fridge) I'm not sure they care.

True story: Kid throwing bricks off freeway overpass at cars below (Or rocks) could not resist the royal blue job with the Maze (Gold) trim and the red top-hat.. Bounced one off the hood of a State Police car he did.

Troopers exited hard, doubled back on the ramp and gave foot chase... about 20 yards of foot chase.. then they stopped and took up places of concealment.

Kid did a good half mile through hedges, over fences and such and finally returned to the scene of the crime (I mean his car was there) all tired out to find... Two well rested state troopers waiting for him... OPPS.

Yes, I know the troopers.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #8

Harbor Freight has one for about $9. It has a couple of lights and a key pad that beeps when you push the buttons.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #9

Great idea! Most thieves are such, because of opportunity. Kinda like having the barking dog noise-activated alarm, or the fake alarm company stickers, a this blinking light, if seen, would cause an amateur pause. Like the teenagers that broke into 80+ RV's(vacant) at 4 different CG's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an African Gray parrot that mimics the home alarm pre and entry count down beep. As we leave he is going beep..beep....beep..... and as soon as we put the key in the lock on returning....Beep...beep...beep.........beep....

So we have a built in alarm. But so far he does not flash.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #11

"But so far he does not flash." Now that was funny Ken!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We have an African Gray parrot that mimics the home alarm pre and entry count down beep. As we leave he is going beep..beep....beep..... and as soon as we put the key in the lock on returning....Beep...beep...beep.........beep....

So we have a built in alarm. But so far he does not flash.

Ken
Now this is something that needs to be on tv or at least on utube.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We boondock a lot and I have been wanting a fake alarm system. I went to Radio Shack and bought a little flashing red light run by 2 AA batteries. It has a hard plastic case, an on/off switch and a red light that flashes about once every 3 seconds. The whole thing is just a little larger than the two batteries. A whopping price of 3 bucks. I bought 2. We have the velcro stickup buttons. I'll put one by the entrance door and one by the drivers seat. They do not do anything but flash a small red light, but I think they will fool a bugler or at least make him move on to a coach without a "security system". Certainly worth the 3bucks.
Do you remember what the name/product # was? I went thru their site and could not find it.

Thanks
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

It is called a "Blinking LED Module" It is in a Radio Shack Box and has 09A07 on the back It also has 276-299 written on the side of the box. I bought it at a store. Good Luck