Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Bo

Couldn't decide in which forum to post this so it ended up here. My wife and I are planning a Fall color tour through the Michigan UP, across Canada to Vermont and Maine, then heading down to Southern Virginia and back toward Colorado. We don't expect to hit the color peaks in all areas but would like to know when the peaks generally occur in each of the aforementioned areas. Any input from locals in these areas or from anyone in the know would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Bo

Couldn't decide in which forum to post this so it ended up here. My wife and I are planning a Fall color tour through the Michigan UP, across Canada to Vermont and Maine, then heading down to Southern Virginia and back toward Colorado. We don't expect to hit the color peaks in all areas but would like to know when the peaks generally occur in each of the aforementioned areas. Any input from locals in these areas or from anyone in the know would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Once source may be the Farmer's Almanac for this year. I am sure you will also get some of our members letting you know when they expect the peak to be in their area this year. Good luck and enjoy the tour!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Bo, The dw and i are planning the same same trip,except we are going thru mi and sault ste marie into ca and then back thru niagra falls ,but i understand the peak time for colors is around oct 1 ,in the up,,but a lot depends on the amount of rain,,,google the great lakes circle tour,it has a lot of info on this subject,,hope this helps,,,,,TOM
Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #5

Morning Bo, I live not far from that area and have done some of that trip. Yes, end of September to early part of Oct. is good. Weather is still very nice, warm during the day, but not hot and cool at night but not freezing. Might see a light frost some mornings. It is a beautiful time of the year.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I just drove through the MI UP last Saturday on my way home from northern Ontario. The leaves are starting to change but the peak is weeks away.

I'm planning on traveling the VA Skyline Drive on our way to Myrtle Beach the last week of October.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rule of thumb for NH is the first two weeks of October. We lived there for 20 years and that works most of the time.
One thing to note is that most campgrounds in New England close the first of Oct, so you may have a problem finding one open.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Door County, in northern Wisconsin is packed with people during fall colors time. The prime weekend would be Sep 23-24th this year but neighboring weekends aren't that bad either.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I'm planning on traveling the VA Skyline Drive on our way to Myrtle Beach the last week of October. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you're talking my language....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:09 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Buchanan, Va...my hometown..5 miles from Skyline Drive. Going to be a wonderful trip.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #11

Bo
Check out www.fs.fed.us/news/fallcolors
Every year the USDA?Forestry publishes maps showing the color changes. They do not do this until sometimes in September s/Toby
Old 08-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generally, 2nd and 3rd week of October is best for Virginia...earlier in my part of the state (Southwest) and a bit later in southern and eastern part.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for the late post you may already be on your way!

Each year the foliage varies depending on the weather. Both of these sites have an interactive map with approximate dates of the peak season.

http://www.vermontvacation.com/seasons/fall.asp

http://www.visitnh.gov/fall-foliage-new-england.html

The sites are also very useful in finding things to do and places to go.

Also, here are websites for camping in VT and NH. Although many campgrounds do close on or before Columbus Day, there are quite a few still open into late October.

www.campvermont.com

www.ucampnh.com

Fall is our favorite time of year here. You're in for a real treat!
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
Bo

I would like to thank all of you for your replies and especially for the links. We haven't left and presently have a conflict that may delay us until the color is gone. We are trying to resolve the conflict so we can make the trip we have been thinking about for a long time. If we can't make the East Fall colors we will have to go West a bit to view the Rocky Mountain aspens. I was in the hills two days ago and the aspens are beginning to turn in the high country.