Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Family name signs

I posted this on a few other RV sites, so you may have seen it already. But I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Ok, I think everyone has them or at least has seen a lot of them in the campgrounds throughout the states and canada. The wooden signs with the family names on them that hang somewhere on the front of the camper. I'm planning on making my own but want to know what information people usually put on them. So let me know what you have on yours or better yet if you have a picture so I can see the general style and lay out. That would be great, thanks everybody.

2001 Shasta Phoenix 285 BHS 5th Wheel.
68dodgeramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I've seen vendors at flea markets who make these type of signs --- seems they have machines with a router and a letter-stencil track to guide the router. Milescraft makes one called a SignMaker . . . see here:

WoosterWoodworker: Tool Review: Milescraft SignCrafter

Hope this helps. Ours just simply has our last name on it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We just put our last name. I thought about our name + city (since the shape is already the state, I figured that'd be obvious), but I reconsidered after I realized some smart crook (is that an oxymoron?) could do an internet search on our name & location based on the sign & then get an accomplice to burgle our home while we're away at a campground somehwere. Although, I have seen other campers signs that do have name +city/state. Here's a pic of ours:

Lori-
Attached Images

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We have last name and our town and state. Had one made in one of the shops in Gatlinburg. I can't picture a thief cruising through a campground, writing down names and towns, doing a google search, calling his buddy 1000 miles away, and telling him to go knock off my house.

Just saw a sign on an RV in the Florida Keys that had my old home town named. Turned out the owner graduated the year before I did and we knew a lot of the same people growing up.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We just put our last name. I thought about our name + city (since the shape is already the state, I figured that'd be obvious), but I reconsidered after I realized some smart crook (is that an oxymoron?) could do an internet search on our name & location based on the sign & then get an accomplice to burgle our home while we're away at a campground somehwere. Although, I have seen other campers signs that do have name +city/state. Here's a pic of ours:

Lori-
We have a sign made the same.
Thieves do check for people away from home. A few years ago we left on a 3-4 month trip, asking our neighbor to look after our property. Upon our return, the neighbor said a moving van with a car following, stopped in our driveway. A guy asked the neighbor if I(name) lived here. My neighbor asked why do you want to know. The guy said he met me in Indianapolis and sold me all my furniture, to just go get it. My neighbor asked the guy if he could load up everything in under 2 minutes. The guy said well-no, why 2 minutes? Neighbor said that's how long it takes for me to get my shotgun and call Indiana State Police. Suspected thieves left promptly, then neighbor noticed neither truck or auto had license plates.
It does happen!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We had our sign made with our last name in large letters and our first names below it.
We also had the sign made with both sides engraved so you know coming from either direction who we are.
No need for home town or State as our license plates let you know where we are from.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many times I"ve seen people in campgrounds selling 'em

Also RV rallies (Quartzsite, FMCA and the like) County fairs, and even some shopping malls.

Of course... I've a dremel and a router kit, with a lettering adapter.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #8

Well here's the sign I made for us... It's sandblasted, painted and I put vinyl lettering on it. What do you think?

2001 Shasta Phoenix 285 BHS 5th Wheel.
68dodgeramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two name signs.. One of which is a simple compuer printed paper sign, in a document holder, sitting on the dash of the motor home (The "Front" side gives my and my wife's name, the back side says "Antenna Down?" it's in a 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 desk top holder (So it is folded over) From the end it looks a bit like this /\

The other one I got in Indian River, Michigan, it is a holder with slide in letters.

Kind of a cheap one, but it's unique, I've not seen it elsewhere, That just has the family name

Of course.. Usually I'm easy to spot as I'm the TALLEST rig in the park (I put up a Sunsetter 25' flagpole with ham radio antennas on top of it, except at Quartsite, where I put up a balloon Makes the "Rig" about 130 feet tall and right easy to find )
Old 06-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I can't picture a thief cruising through a campground, writing down names and towns, doing a google search, calling his buddy 1000 miles away, . . . .
Didn't take you long to figure it out, just in the few minutes you were creating the post. Please tell me you don't seriously believe that the bad guys can't, or won't bother?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I guess, to clarify my statement, it's not the buddy 1000 miles away that bugs me, it's when I'm rv-ing in any one of the dozen or so CG's within an hour of my house. Those are the thiefs I'm concerned about.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #12

I have often wondered. Do the folks who put out signs with complete names including the dog or cat, hometown, etc. have the same information in front of their sticks and bricks residence? If I want or need to know who you are I'll ask. If I want or need to know where you hail from I'll ask that also. In today's world with idenity theft, cyber theft, etc. you might want to think how much information you are willing to put out for the whole world to see. The next time you go to a rally sign up for the security seminar if one is available and see what the seminar leaders say about such signs and you may have a different view. At the risk of being considered paranoid or a naysayer, just be careful out there.
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #13

It has even gotten to the point that our grandchildren don't have the little name plates on their trikes cause some stranger could call them by name.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote