Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Family of 10 should I buy class c or a?

Ok so I thought I wanted a class a. In fact I am paying for a mechanic to look over a 97 pace arrow as I write. But... Getting cold feet about the gas cost. I can buy a newer class c for the.same price as am older.class a. About 2 years. We have 10 in our family. We need to live in it.for.two months then just have fun with out on weekends. Tight budget makes class cs look nice and the class c fleetwood.we are looking.at tomorrow. Sleeps 10. Anyone.have advice? What works best for large.families? How much mpg for class a vs clads c?
Thanks.a ton.
P.s. Class c had slide and is 31 ft and sleeps 8-10

newrvlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We had a 2009 Fleetwood 31' Class C. It was just us and the dog and cat. We full time and felt really crowded. There was not enough storage room, even tho we had downsized considerably. We traded for a 37' Class A. I know they have Class C's with bunks which would be great for you. In the end you have to just look at it, imagine where you are going to put dishes, cookware and cloths for 10 people. Good luck on your search.

Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a family of 10 you need to be concerned with the net cargo carrying capacity of the RV. With that many people, the weight will add up fast and then all of the clothes, food and the other supplied need for the crew. A large class C will be limited on CCC, especially with a slide out. You might want to check on what is called a super C like the Jayco Senaca.

Class A's will have a similar weight issue.

And I have never seen an RV that would sleep 10. Some of the big tour buses used by the entertainers bands have lots of bunks, but they cost over $1,000,000.00

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A class C with a very big engine and heavy duty frame.. And a portable "Bunkhouse" trailer to pull behind it!!! (kidding somewhat)

I do not know all the bed plans in Class C's but I'd pull a semi-converted van behind it. Say a Dodge B-250 Maxi (About 3500 pounds) with a bed and porta-pottie.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Thats a large family for sure. There is much you want ti investigate prior to purchasing any configuration of either a C or an A. The weight issue will be top priority and storage for 10 certaily will need to be plentiful. You can always take along a Tent, some are very nice.
Be sure to look into all aspects of RVing. This could be a memorable experience .......or your worst nightmare !
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you're aware that 10 people living in any kind of RV will be very tight... even for a couple of months. But, we all have to do what we have to do so I wish you all the best.

Although it's counter intuitive, Class C rigs are generally designed to sleep more people than the much larger Class A coaches. Class A rigs are very often made with only two people in mind. There's an old adage used by Class A owners that goes something like.... "It seats 8, can feed 4, and sleeps TWO".

Ken raised a great point about the cargo carrying capacity. Be sure to do your homework so you don't end up with a coach that is already near its CCC as soon as the fuel and water tanks are filled. It happens more often than you might think.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thought.. and a short explanation.. I once owned a semi-converted Dodge Tradsman B-250 van which is why I mentioned it above, You could have any make full size...

Rather than CCC you need to pay attention to the MAX CGVW (Maximum weight of the RV, + Towed + Cargo fuel and people)

If you have a big towed, and with a family of 10 you will need the passanger carrying capacity of such a van (I once had 13 passangers in that B-250, admittely one very happy young lady was sitting on the movie star's lap but hey.. Can't all get lucky).
(I have some strange friends by the way, Said star was in my ride because the one he was supposed to ride in... Left him behind). (NO you have not seen the movie he starred in, but you may have read a book or two he wrote, I have).

The van came in very handy on a number of trips,.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
In your case, I'd seriously consider a Class A with enough towing capacity to bumper pull a lightweight TT. That way, you woldn't all be falling over each other in the MH when you're not actually on the road.

Storage capacity for all the stuff 10 people will need would be a monster problem in s "C", even just for 2 months. You really need a basement-type Class A.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
A C towing a storage trailer for the luggage or a toy hauler.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
How big r these 10 people?

If 6 of them r 20 pounders, you'll be ok.

Really, if you all are gonna have to live in it, i'd look for a 25 - 30 ft Travel trailer, and a suburban, excursion, of big van to pull it.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
How big r these 10 people?

If 6 of them r 20 pounders, you'll be ok.

Really, if you all are gonna have to live in it, i'd look for a 25 - 30 ft Travel trailer, and a suburban, excursion, of big van to pull it.
^^ This. Your weight restrictions for 10 people and their "stuff" will be an issue for most Class Cs and many Class As. Typically, the Cs have more sleeping area and A's have more living area. The travel trailer solution with a big tow vehicle is probably your best bet. Good luck.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are now in a Class A, previously owned a 31' Class C. It had a slide, and the so called beds consisted of the following. A short queen in the bedroom, the dinette converted into a bed for two, the couch folded out as a bed for two, and there was a (short?) queen or full size over the cab. All told it was advertised as sleeping eight. However, I could not have fit into the dinette by myself, two smaller infants might fit. The fold out couch was too short for me to lay down in (5'11"). The area over the cab was OK for at least one adult, might work for two but headroom would be dicey for the person nearest the front.
Cliff Fargason
US Army (ret)
2012 Fleetwood Bounder
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy that's a tough to call. Class C will be plenty tight and the Class A would give you more room but not as many sleeping accomodations choices. The C would be very limited for storage, the A obviously would have more. As far as mpg I thinkg you'll find both actually will get about the same. I think I would lean personally lean toward the A. JMHO Good Luck in your choice and hope all works out for the best.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote