Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fan-tastic Vent??

I am scheduled to pick up my first RV (in signature) and wondering what exactly is the reason for installing a fantastic vent in place of what is installed not? The dealer has three models (4000, 5000 & 6000).

Any guidance is appreciated.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but Fantastic Fans are great products (we have two) and their customer service is second to none. These fans are used much like a whole house fan in a stick house. You can open a window on the shade side of your rig and turn on the fan(s) which will draw cooler air into the rig and exhaust warmer out out through the vents.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is nothing wrong with the fans that are there now I would leave them in. In time when they quit working you could then think about puttting in the Fan-Tastic fans. You can't go wrong with them, there customer service is second to none and the fans and any parts are guaranteed for life.

By the way WELCOME to the forum.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am scheduled to pick up my first RV (in signature) and wondering what exactly is the reason for installing a fantastic vent in place of what is installed not? The dealer has three models (4000, 5000 & 6000).

Any guidance is appreciated.
If your dealer is giving you the option of which model Fantastic Fan you want, 4000 is fine, install the 5000 if you want the on/off temperature thermostat, 6000 has the rain sensor that will close the vent lid automatically.

If you're new RV only has a non-powered vent, this might be a good time for an upgrade.

They're all good, just personal preference.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I will most likely get the 5000 model. I was also discussing a Maxair cover, but I read the following comment on the installation instructions.

"NOTE: Fan-Tastic Vent does not recommend placing a vent cover over, or using a foam
filter on your Fan-Tastic Vent. This greatly restricts airflow, causing accumulation of
dust and increased sound levels."
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I will most likely get the 5000 model. I was also discussing a Maxair cover, but I read the following comment on the installation instructions.

"NOTE: Fan-Tastic Vent does not recommend placing a vent cover over, or using a foam
filter on your Fan-Tastic Vent. This greatly restricts airflow, causing accumulation of
dust and increased sound levels."
This warning is kind of hollow now that FanTastic is marketing their own version of the cover. If you use a MaxAir cover make sure you use the Fan-mate which is designed for use with a Fantastic.

There are a couple of reasons why the cover is useful. First, there are plenty of times that you would like to use the fan (in a toilet room, maybe) when it is raining. If you have a rain sensor you won't get rain in but that doesn't resolve the problem of using it in the rain.

A second reason is that in windy conditions, like those we have experienced here in south TX, the winds can be strong enough to lift the cover and break the lift mechanism. I know because it happened to us. When that happens the cover will flip open and lay flat on the roof. There's no way to grab hold of it without getting up on a ladder and then trying to figure out a way to tie it closed. Not a fun thing to do on a windy night.

We have covers on both of our fans and think they were worth the modest price.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The low air flow rain covers will not work properly with the F. Fan.
MaxAir II and F. FAN make covers that are designed to accommodate the high air flow rate of the fan.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
"NOTE: Fan-Tastic Vent does not recommend placing a vent cover over, or using a foam filter on your Fan-Tastic Vent. This greatly restricts airflow, causing accumulation of dust and increased sound levels."
This is true if you use the small covers like the Maxxair Standard. They now make covers with much more air flow and work just fine. I put a Maxxair II over our galley Fantastic fan, we have two FF fans, but the bath fan is too close to the roof edge for a cover.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fan-Tastic Fans are unbeatable and their service department is heads and shoulders above others. I broke a knob for manually opening/closing the cover and called them to locate a distributor and they sent me the entire motor assembly free of charge. These fans definitely move the air in a MH. Like any fan though you do need clean the blades periodically for maximum efficiency. If in doubt get the 5000 model.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reuben the combination of the Fan-Tastic 5000 and Maxxair II cover would be hard to beat. The Maxxair II is hinged on one side so that it can easlly be opened for cleaning. The original Maxxair must be unscrewed and taken completely off for cleaning.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I can't speak to Fantastics customer service. I've never dealt with them. Hope I don't ever have to, because that would mean something was wrong with mine. I can speak to the fan itself though. They move a lot of air without making a lot of noise. On the highest setting you can hear them, but they're still quieter than the fans in our sticks and bricks bathroom fans. I guess ours is the 6000. It's temperature controlled and has a rain sensor. I would actually like to replace the fanless crank up vent in the shower area with a Fantastic, I'm just not sure there's wiring in place already, and if they're isn't I don't imagine it would be an easy job.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Instead of the Fantastic Fan, get the MaxxFan with the remote control.
MaxxFan Deluxe Remote Control | Latest

Great product and customer service is top notch.

Ken
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a ShurFlo Comfort Air fan in my galley and a Fantastic Fan in the restroom. Both roof vents originally came with Fantastic Fans. My wife couldn't reach the controls for the galley fan, so I replaced it with ShurFlo's Comfort Air Gold fan, so she could control the fan with a remote control. I've found the ShurFlo to be quieter than the Fantastic Fan, but the Fantastic Fan seems to move more air.

What everyone has said about Fantastic Fan's customer support is true. They are the best!

I have MaxxAir Fan-Mate's over each fan and they work great. The new Fan-Mate now comes with a hinged mounting system, which would make cleaning much easier.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd keep the 4,000. I have one 4000 in the back bathroom and then another fancy dancy one in the living room attached to a thermostat thingy. I don't know if it's a 5000 or 6000. You never really know what the heck it's going to do as it has a mind of it's own. Go for the simple one.

I have the Max Air vent covers on all three of my vents so I can leave them open 24/7 if I want to. We have wasps where we live and it tends to help keep them out.

I matched the color of my coach with plastic spray paint at OSH and painted all my vent covers to match my coach. Works fine, lasts a long time.

Tags
vent