Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Fantastic Fan Inoperative: How to trouble shoot?

My 2000 model year fan stopped working. I was able to get it operating a couple of times by pushing the "Stop Dome" button and holding it in but now nothing. I checked the fuse and its okay. The dome will still go up and down but for whatever reason I can't get the fan to work. Any thoughts on what my problem is? Bad "dome stop" switch? Fan motor fried? Idiot operator?

Tim Sullivan, 2000 Country Coach Magna, C10 Cat with 2015 Toyota Prius toad.
TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a spring loaded dome up switch that allows the fan to come on when open. It can get dirty so it will not go up and down. If that isn't the problem, call fantastic fan and they will help you trouble shoot.

1lukerduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
X2 on what previous poster said. DH has to get up on the roof with an old toothbrush and clean the "motor activator", don't know what else to call it. Fantastic Fan's customer service is great, don't hesitate to call them if you have questions or need help
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Had the same problem last summer. After much testing/tracing I narrowed the problem to a failed control switch. Ironically two of my three fans dirt napped within days of each other. Called Fantastic and detailed my test results to them, and they immediately sent two new style switches. Along with the instructions and wiring diagram (sent via file attachment to an e-mail).

The replacement work will require dropping the control face plate down but be careful to not yank the wiring too hard. There will be adequate slack in the wires to let the face plate dangle while you remove the old switch and install the new one. Be careful to follow the color of the wires and install the new switch exactly as shown on the instructions.

By the way, the switch that I'm referring to is the "0-1-2-3" rotating knob switch.

After the replacements, my fans seem to run faster on the "1" setting. The third fan that did not fail (yet) has a slower fan speed on "1" setting.

I believe the switch failure boiled down to that little resistor that is positioned under the tiny screened hole in the plastic that apparently was intended to cool it. The new switch design does not have an external resistor, so the "cooling hole" won't be needed. I did not tape it over, because when the lid is closed, rain won't get in.

While you are in the fan restoration mood, you may want to do a couple of other preventative maintenance things too. Put a tiny drop of WD-40 down the lid cut-off plunger. Push it up and down a few times to work the oil into it. That helps break up the corrosion. Also wipe off the rain sensor plate with alcohol. If you spend a lot of time in dusty locations, that sensor plate will get coated with enough dust to make "mud" which will hold moisture and of course the fan electronics will assume it is still raining.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
1llukerduke says the first thing I would try. Go up on the roof with the fan lid wide open and with a small wrench gently tighten the nut on the push button switch near the hinge. The fan should start as what you are doing is getting a better connection to the lug. Keep your fingers away from the fan blade.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks for the info guys.

Tim Sullivan, 2000 Country Coach Magna, C10 Cat with 2015 Toyota Prius toad.
TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote