Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Fantastic Fan won't work

I have a Fantastic fan in my motorhome. It has 2 switches, 1 to raise the vent and 1 to start the fan. The vent will raise but the fan won't work? How do I check to see if it's the switch or the fan motor?

Thanks,

Steve
monacoman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a fan with the thermostatic control. If it is turned to a warm setting it won't let the fan come on if it is cool out.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

Assume the fan used to work.

Fantastic fans usually have a switch under the cover that turns on the fan motor. Open the cover and go up on the roof and look for a plunger switch near the cover hinge. If you have this switch, slightly turn the nut on the switch. Corrosion will keep this switch from making contact and turning the nut should fix any electrical contact problem. Keep your fingers clear of the fan blades.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

Dito on the roof switch, just had to do mine this winter.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Phays is right on the money. This is a safety switch. It breaks the ground to the motor when the cover is closed. If the fan was operated in the closed position, there would be no airflow and the motor could overheat and cause a fire. The switch builds up a small amount of corrosion and the switch will not ground. WE always opened the vent, went to the roof and pushed the switch down and slid our finger off the plunger. (Do not just go up and down, let the switch spring fly up and meet with force.) This causes the switch to grind against the contact point and cleans the connection.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Mine did the same earlier this year. I dropped the panel which holds the thermostat and the three speed switch, four if you count "off". Check for voltage at the motor and at the switch. If you have voltage at the motor it's a bad motor. Voltage to the switch but not the motor indicates bad switch. Mine was the switch, they sent me a new one for free even though the unit was ten years old.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Ours has an on/ off knob that you can also turn the fan off, located on the underside of the fan. Sometimes if I just want the vent open but not the fan running I'll turn it off.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
^^^^roof switch corrosion.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
IC2

All the above is good info, including the warranty replacement which we used on the last 5er. One item not mentioned is that there is a fuse in the ceiling housing as well. Look at that too. Our current 5er has two MaxxAir fans and have to say that the OEM units installed are NOT anywhere near the level of the Fantastic Fans which will replace them when(if?) they fail.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
All the above is good info, including the warranty replacement which we used on the last 5er. One item not mentioned is that there is a fuse in the ceiling housing as well. Look at that too. Our curren It 5er has two MaxxAir fans and have to say that the OEM units installed are NOT anywhere near the level of the Fantastic Fans which will replace them when(if?) they fail.
IC2: He stated that the vent opened. If the fuse was blown, the vent would not work.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had exactly the same problem. I called fantastic fan customer service (very good customer service by the way). They had me remove the plunger switch with a 7/16 open end wrench, spray with a contact cleaner, and replace. It has worked perfectly since.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well, it is May of 2020 and this thread just came in super handy. Our fan motor stopped working this am and an IRV2 search brought this one up.

For us, pressing the plunger switch (which we had no idea even existed) fixed the issue. All I wanted to add was that we did not need to go up on the roof to do it. Our 17 Newmar Dutch Star doesn’t even have a ladder to the roof so it’s always a hassle to get up there. We just pulled off the Inside screen and unscrewed the one screw holding the plastic blades. We could easily reach the plunger and it started the motor right back up.

Thank you 2016 thread commentators!

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:48 AM   #13

I'll add this also, Dometic bought Fantastic Fan and there is no longer a lifetime warranty. Before they bought FF the company sent me a new motor for a fan in a 2007 motorhome and we were the second owners.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #14
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'll add this also, Dometic bought Fantastic Fan and there is no longer a lifetime warranty. Before they bought FF the company sent me a new motor for a fan in a 2007 motorhome and we were the second owners.
I had the same help from FF - but since they sold out, they then became Fabulous Operating Products and now make a nice range hood/fan that is actually dang quiet though can be a bear to install without a helper
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan