Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Interesting. Do they request you ask for permission first?
Good question. We always ask and I've never asked my daughter. Will check with her and post, but it'll be a week before I can get up with her. Sorry.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
check allstays.com for info on cg's and wally worlds overnight parking.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
So far, we've only stayed at a couple of Walmarts and can't complain. We have a cross country trip planned this summer and may get to try other options.
Oh, we stayed in a church parking lot one night that was across the street from my daughter's house. We tried to get permission ahead but never got a return call, but the folks were very nice when we explained that we didn't want to stop traffic trying to make the tight backup into my daughter's driveway.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our first choice is Wal-Mart, second is truck stops!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Favorite overnight - Rest stop, truck stop, Walmart or ...?

We've done a few truck stops, and I think one Cracker Barrel, but when in travel mode we usually do the overnights at Walmart. Never had a problem. Call ahead to verify permission, always go in and track down the Mgr on duty to say thanks, and spend a few bucks. We try for Sam's Clubs as first choice- every store employs 24hr security- but actual convenience is the trump. Two nights with Wally, then stay two at a CG to let us (and the cat) relax. The only exception usually is weather hot/humid enough to require AC. At $3/hr, a free Wally overnight can quickly get more expensive than a CG.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Thanks for the info on Lowes. Had not thought of them. Have used Walmarts on several occasions where didn't really want to take the time to set up and then in the morning get ready to go. At Walmarts, we put no jacks down and no slides out. Easy in and out. Always get permission and never been told no. If their gas station is big enough to get in and out of with a TOAD, will fill up with gas. However I will seriously consider Lowes in the future if they are near where I need to stop for the night since they have WiFi.
This should be SOP for all of us. I have been through a lot of WM parking lot's on the road. I have seen slides out, jacks down, awning deployed, lawn chairs, carpet, etc....I swear I thought I had stumbled into a KOA. I think this is just asking for the Mgr or owner of the property to stop allowing RV overnights and ruin it for the rest of us.

I tend to shy away from WM's now anyway. My #1 choice when on the road is a Rest Area....yes it's a little noisy at times, but you will never get a trespass warning
Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #35

Not all states allow overnight stays at rest areas though.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #36

Thanks Pigman for the Lowes for overnight parking. We are at one now in Abilene. Did ask for permission and they said to park in the back which is a huge area. The front was small compared to a Walmart and busy with vehicles, so the back is much better. Quiet and do have Wifi.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have stayed in rest areas and Flying J's and both were fine.
chappgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #38

WalMart/Sams,Truckstops,and very seldom rest area. We try to never stop much before dark and hit the road at daybreak.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Hi "TnT", AKA MonkeyClaw
I have included a link to Boondocking Etiquette. Not saying you need it, but reading posts
here, many questions will be answered and this was put together with the co-operation of a number of Businesses and RV Organizations.
As for me, my primarily choice is Truck Stops & Rest Stops for ease of access off of the Interstates. When I stop I want to do what I want/need to do and get going.
All other options listed are Great IMHO, if one needs WiFi, Lowes, HomeDepot, Menards and the others are great. It is just not for me. Now an emergency is another matter; vehicle, weather what ever, It's Any Port In A Storm. Safety is the only deciding factor.
On the other hand if we are not in a hurry (Not using a Interstate) and we need a place to hunker down, all above posts are Great Ideas, & we have used a number of them. If normal travel we will always plan on a camp ground some where.

My opinion on Rest Area's are simple. It's A "Rest Area". Not a Camping, Boondocking, or lets stay here until hell freezes over option. No Over Night Stays means just that. Not that you cannot stop to rest and move on when you are "Rested".

Your Personal Safety First, then is it legal. Use the guidelines in the Boondocking Etiquette Guide, you should find you will always be welcome.

Boondocking Etiquette
Old 03-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #40

We use campgrounds.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Hi "TnT", AKA MonkeyClaw
I have included a link to Boondocking Etiquette. Not saying you need it, but reading posts
here, many questions will be answered and this was put together with the co-operation of a number of Businesses and RV Organizations.
As for me, my primarily choice is Truck Stops & Rest Stops for ease of access off of the Interstates. When I stop I want to do what I want/need to do and get going.
All other options listed are Great IMHO, if one needs WiFi, Lowes, HomeDepot, Menards and the others are great. It is just not for me. Now an emergency is another matter; vehicle, weather what ever, It's Any Port In A Storm. Safety is the only deciding factor.
On the other hand if we are not in a hurry (Not using a Interstate) and we need a place to hunker down, all above posts are Great Ideas, & we have used a number of them. If normal travel we will always plan on a camp ground some where.

My opinion on Rest Area's are simple. It's A "Rest Area". Not a Camping, Boondocking, or lets stay here until hell freezes over option. No Over Night Stays means just that. Not that you cannot stop to rest and move on when you are "Rested".

Your Personal Safety First, then is it legal. Use the guidelines in the Boondocking Etiquette Guide, you should find you will always be welcome.

Boondocking Etiquette
^I agree 100%
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #42

We only stop at rest areas to give the dog a little walk, we've stayed in truck stops, only as a last resort. Rest stops are not safe places to be, in my humble opinion. We always stay at KOA's or reputable CG's.

GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote