Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you definitely need to find a new shop!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
luckyd,
Your topic is right on. My whole working life was teaching automotive repair. I always preached diagnostics, quality repair and fair pricing. Being a parts change was out of the question except in rare situations when an electronic part couldn't be tested.

IMHO as consumers of these big expensive complicated multifunctional homes on wheels all owners should learn as much as they can about what they are buying. Even if one has not much mechanical background it's time to learn. Usually individuals who can afford these coaches has a decent job which should translate into a person with some degree of intelligence. That person should be able to gain at least a fundamental knowledge of these systems. Maybe they won't have the skills or tools to immediately repair them but should start learning.

When it becomes necessary to take a coach to a repair facility some fundamental knowledge of how the malfunctioning system works would be a great benefit which might assist in not getting ripped off.

Learning what questions to ask and how to respond to their suggestions of how they are going to fix your coach would also be of benefit.

I know I will assist any individual who contacts me by way of a PM and then a phone call. I will give my best opinion of a repair situation recognizing that it is by way of a phone call and not in person. If a person is stuck at a repair facility and does not understand what the dealer is trying to do I will offer what ever advice I can and even talk to their repair people. I've done it several times over the years. No one knows all the answers and maybe the advice won't help much but at least one can try.

Just last Fall I offered to assist a guy with re-packing his wheel bearings on his 5th-wheel. We met on another forum. He didn't know of a good shop and didn't know how to do it. He brought his unit to my house and I took two days and taught and did his unit for him.

TeJay

Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I took my 64 Caddie in to a local shop to have the Carb adjusted and was told @ the door their mechanics don't know about Carbs/or work on them.
I was dumbfounded, Honest to God, True Fact.
I don't take anything there nor do I refer anyone to them.
tb,
On the other hand, would you have rather had them LIE and say they could do it, and do a bad job?

Being on my side of the counter from you, customers are rarely happy. You always hear the BAD, but never the happiness.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure sounds like there's a lot of us on here that are in the automotive or rv industry in one way, shape or form.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
There is a site RV Service Reviews
that you can post on.
When I get good or excellent service, I post as
well as the bad.

I have always felt that a pat on the back goes a long way.

That being said......I have spent the time, effort, and money
to learn as much about the coach as possible so I can ask
informed questions and give more knowledgeable facts to
a repair centre.
When I ask for something to be done, I want the complete job done,
not a partial, and I tell them this and have it written down.
The problem starts when something goes wrong and you then find out
the "complete" job was not done.

When I purchased the coach I went through a complete list as to what
I wanted. One item was a complete brake check. I was told that the
dealer did not do this as they shipped it out to Freightliner to do.
They gave me the measurements on the shoes which were close to new.
On the way home the brakes failed and was taken to a shop close to home.
They found the drums worn way beyond serviceability and said they would
not stop a car let alone the coach.
After a lot of hassle, the dealer paid for the brake job.

In Canada we need to take a air course and have an endorsement on the
drivers license but this does not help with sloppy work.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
As well dealers get mad if you don't give all (10's) since they have a bonus tied to this (some dealers go out and "ask" you to do so. I don't really think those surveys make much difference since a high turnover dealer with all 8s will rank higher then a mom and pop country location that has 1 irate customer and every other customer is completely satisfied.
Just bought a new Tundra and the GM of the dealer was "very" adamant about "the survey" that I give it all 10's. A 9 was a failure...

On the last vehicle from the same dealer I did give some 5s, 2's 9's and a few 10's. Because that was what they deserved...period. I even wrote why they got the low numbers. Well when the salesman saw me the next time he was hot

On the truck..they did remember that I had given them bad numbers, and kissed my ass to make sure on the dealers side everything that they could do to deliver my vehicle was OK with me...And yes there was a big issue...Should have taken 5-6 weeks to get the new Tundra...It took 11 weeks because at one point they "lost" the truck....For about 10 days they had no idea where it went. In the end, they gave me some "extra" add-ons...for my time.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say "they", you mean the manufacturer? As the dealer has no control of where or when the vehicle gets to them and is completely reliant upon the manufacturer to tell them where the vehicle is.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #36
rtz

Just like with the car and boat industry; negotiating price is not something to look forward too.

I have a problem with the deception. Dealing with shady and crooked dealers. Sure the sticker is $35k on a truck camper for example. Maybe the dealer paid ~$15k? I don't know. Instead of the dealer making a little on each unit(a fair amount); it seems the dealer wants to make enough off just one sale to keep the lights on and make payroll for the entire year! I hate dealing with it. It's not my problem and I'm just trying to get a good deal.

And you know it's true when they liquidate and blow the unit out for ~$20k. When just last month they couldn't let it go for a dollar less than $35k. It's no wonder car/boat/rv's lose ~50% of their value once their driven off the lot. Because that's what their worth!

It's like they want to price themselves out of the market by having Porsche/Lamborghini/Ferrari type profit margins. They need to reassess their market and consider making money from volume and not margin.

I can sell 10 at one price or 100 for another and make the same amount of money either way.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rtz, you are grossly misinformed. If you can find me a car, motorhome or boat that left the lot even six months ago for 50% of its msrp, i will not only buy every unit you can find but i will pay you a finders fee. A rule of thumb in the car business is to take the invoice price, less any rebates and incentives less 2000.00. This applies to cars taken back in trade within the first couple months with less than say 2 or 3 thousand miles. I'm not talking about luxury our specialty cars here. A far cry from 50%! Your claims of dealers having 80 our 90 percent markups are far fetched as well. Would it surprise you that i have 400.00 of markup on a16000.00 new car or 1000.00 markup on a 23000.00 car? Rv's and boats average 15 to 30% markups on average. cars average 6 to 8 percent. I hope you hav'nt bought any furniture lately as i wouldn't want you to have a heart attack when i tell you about their 100% markup you paid. You can educate yourself as to car pricing on several websites.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I took my 64 Caddie in to a local shop to have the Carb adjusted and was told @ the door their mechanics don't know about Carbs/or work on them.
I was dumbfounded, Honest to God, True Fact.
I don't take anything there nor do I refer anyone to them.
tb,
Why does this surprise you? Carburetors are old technology -- these kids also don't know anything about LP record changers or slide rules. But they don't have to, just as I really didn't have to know much about buggy whips or horses. But guess what? While I understand how to repair a 1962 Ford, I don't even like to look under the hood of today's cars.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
... Would it surprise you that i have 400.00 of markup on a16000.00 new car or 1000.00 markup on a 23000.00 car? Rv's and boats average 15 to 30% markups on average. cars average 6 to 8 percent. .
Seeing as you seem to be in the know...

Isn't there something called "Dealer Holdback". Basically an additional amount paid "off invoice" by the manufacturer to the dealer. ... and it's hard for the general public to find out about the amount of Holdback (if that is the correct term)? Basically additional margin that consumers can't get their hands on.

I've heard of this from two sources. One was a fella I worked with who's family owned a Chevy dealership.

The other was from the owner of a motorcycle dealership that told me his goal was to build up his volume, until he could sell every unit at invoice and run his business off the holdback (I know he used a different term, but can't remember what he called it)..

This just seems like hidden margin, and increases overall margin higher than 6 - 8 %.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Wow.....how to get off the topic
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes, on average its 3% of msrp less transportation. That money is usually allocated to interest and carrying charges on a particular unit. Nobodys going to make a living off hold back LOL It can be as little as 1% on some imports.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Why does this surprise you? Carburetors are old technology -- these kids also don't know anything about LP record changers or slide rules. But they don't have to, just as I really didn't have to know much about buggy whips or horses. But guess what? While I understand how to repair a 1962 Ford, I don't even like to look under the hood of today's cars.
totally agree. When I was a younger, it was no problem to take apart and rebuild a carb in the garage or basement. My biggest challenge back then was my corvair monza with twin single barrel carbs. calibration was always fun. thanks for bringing back some fun memories.