Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #15

For me, part of the fun of going on a trip is the planning it lets me do months before we leave. As part of this planning, I plan my gas stops for Flying J's. I know the mpg I get when towing my 42' 5'er and how many gallons of gas I want to leave as a minimum in my tank (easy math). The Flying J's all (or nearly all) have the RV aisles which are wider and have a pump on both sides of the aisles so you can fill no matter what side your gas fill is located on. Plus they all have RV parking spaces so you can rest, have your lunch or use your own restroom. Makes the trip much more relaxing not having to worry about whether you have enough room to pull into and out of a certain gas station. In any event, you will get much more comfortable with driving after a few trips.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jimrf-

Here's an iRV2 thread on the same topic. My post is #7.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Often, at the end of the day you pull into a campground, disconnect your toad and go sightseeing or out to dinner. While you're out, check out the stations near where you're camped and then fill the next day at a station with a lot of room.

As you drive more and more miles, you'll get more comfortable and the gas station thing will be no big issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just remember this list.

1. Watch your height, not only the roof, but the top rails of your rig. Parking too close to a support column can be a problem if the rig leans.

2. Tail swing - if you can see clearance in your rear camera, you will be OK

3. If your rear wheels are past something, you can't hit it by turning INTO it (TAILS WING IS DIFFERENT)

4. You can always disconnect the toad while you're at the pump if you get into trouble.

The most common impacts are tail swing hits and contact with objects between the front and rear wheels (like steel posts).

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #19

Rexhall Owners Group
I drive a 35 ft. gasser, pulling a CRV, and can agree with your concern. These days I carry a "Pilot Flying J RV Guide". It is a small pamphlet available at some stations ( It can be difficult to find ) or also for download on line. It lists all of their stations by state, and has columns for various features of the stations. One of them is "RV Lanes" These are set off from the regular gas filling lanes, and set back a little ways to facilitate egress. ( There is one at the Flying J next to Lazy Days , Florida,) which I use on my snowbird flights. You can also usually fill up your propane tank, and dump your waste tanks at these places.
At home, I have scouted out some stations that have the pumps parallel to the road, and try to go to them at non peak hours when I can stand a better chance of getting in to the pump line.
Enjoy your RV and experience will teach you how to handle these minor inconveniences.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #20

I presume you'll be pre-planning your trips....

Learn the range of your RV from Full down to about half-full and plan to stop for gas at about that distance. Don't wait until you need gas. If you do that invariably the gas stations you can find will be tough to get in and out of.

So for example you get 250 miles to half-full. Use Google Earth to find gas stations at about that distance; you'll quickly get good at spotting gas stations. Carefully examine those gas stations from above and then look at them using Street View. Look for gas stations that have lots of space of course, and others that have lanes parallel to roadways so you can't get blocked by cars at the convenience store, or you might find that the end pumps are usable and the perimeter around the store is clear etc.

And don't be suckered by that huge Walmart parking lot; I've found through experience and Google Earth that many of the Walmart gas stations are very tight.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On long trips I preplan stops along the my intended route looking for both price and easy access to the pumps. Between using the satellite, bird's eye or street view and Gas Buddy I have a good idea of what I'll be working with at arrival. We have a 4000 mile July summer vacation planned and I have all my fuel stops mapped.

If I will need to turn when departing the fuel lane I want to make a left turn if possible. My coach fuels on the left so I want to avoid tail swing towards the pump island. The fueling lane is usually wide enough to not worry about tail swing into the lane. I'll pull forward until the rear axle is past the last bollard or obstruction and start the turn to the left. Once the rear axle is clear I don't have to worry about turning the side of the coach into the fuel island.

I've had my Navigator get out and hold a spot in the pump line I wanted (easy in/out with a coach & tow car) as I waiting off to the side and not blocking traffic in the service lanes. Take your time and plan your arrival and departure. If you have to, disconnect the tow car.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Don't know if it's been mentioned but there is a highway exit book called The Next Exit and it will tell you what is at most exits so you can plan your stops. It also has anything that is RV friendly highlighted in red from subways to gas stations. You can get it online or at truck stops and some RV centers, published annually.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #23

The best thing you can do is avoid stations that are tight. There are plenty of stations out there with wide lanes and large areas to turn. I would suggest that you gas up at these stations until you get a better feel for the tuns in your MH.

If you are real concerned at a station use a spotter.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jimrf
We bought our first MH last year and fully understand your fears. You have about 10' on me but take your time, slow down and think ahead and you will do fine. I towed our 220SD Sea Ray last September and all was fine. As mentioned earlier, my first go to station is a truck stop but I find others are easy too. I look them over carefully and try to look for a way out if I have trouble. I also bought a Magellan GPS with additional backup camera that I wired to the license light so I can watch my toad anytime I turn the headlights on. Since you are flat towing, remember you shouldn't try and backup your toad, although some on her say they do. Worst case you can always drop your toad if things get tight. Good luck and safe travels!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Bob View Post
For me, part of the fun of going on a trip is the planning it lets me do months before we leave. As part of this planning, I plan my gas stops for Flying J's.
The Flying J app also has the latest gas prices. I've stopped being surprised at the price difference, even among FJs that are fairly close together.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Just remember this list.
1. Watch your height, not only the roof, but the top rails of your rig. Parking too close to a support column can be a problem if the rig leans.
2. Tail swing - if you can see clearance in your rear camera, you will be OK
3. If your rear wheels are past something, you can't hit it by turning INTO it (TAILS WING IS DIFFERENT)
4. You can always disconnect the toad while you're at the pump if you get into trouble.
The most common impacts are tail swing hits and contact with objects between the front and rear wheels (like steel posts).
Regards,
Dan
X2. Great advice, Dan!
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
There has been some very good advice. I try to preplan our stops looking at both price and access.

If I am not familiar with an exit I will always try to go to a station that I can get in and out of easy. If this means I drive past them to take a good look that's what I do. I'll then go down and turn around and go back to the one I am comfortable with.

Not familiar with your new to you rig but I think practicing and learning the turn radius is important. Also learning what your toad is doing during these maneuvers is also important.

My front wheels actually are behind me so that I have to judge when to start turning to compensate for the distance. This also affects the back, yes I have tail wag and actually did hit a gate as I was pulling out of a friends driveway, luckily not real damage but still a PITA.

When I was working full time my wife would actually take the coach all by herself. In 2013 she drove form TN to NY by herself. When she pulled into a fueling station she pulled to close to the pumps and as she was pulling out, and paying attention to the front, she side swiped a heavy metal protective post. It did a number of 3 basement doors and the slide trim, , she was devastated. It was fixable, I fixed it myself for ~$600. She now holds the price for the "Most Damage Done", one I hope I don't regain.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #28

Gas Stations

From Jimrf -- I would like to thank everyone for their response and helpful tips. I feel better now from all of your advice and am looking forward to my 10th trip to a gas station -- pretty sure I will feel comfortable by then.

Thanks again everyone.

Tags
gas