Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Feeling Vulnerable - Storm Season

Well, I knew the time would come when we would have to face the potential for severe weather without the security of a S&B home and here it has arrived. In light of the terrible tornados in OKC area it makes me pause just a bit about it all.

Now, I'm not overly sensitive to storms in general. The chances of getting caught up in a monster tornado like todays are relatively small. I suspect driving Chicago rush our traffic on I-294 is more dangerous. Still, there is some awe and respect that should be given to a mile wide tornado with a 2 mile wide debris path.

Watching the storm path as it is approaching the heart of IL seems to indicate that the worst of it will pass west of us. Yet, it is bed time and I have my WX radio turned on. I hope it doesn't make us evacuate.

As a side bar, I'm familiar with this area which is helpful if things get ugly. What I think I am taking from this is that when we get into new CGs we need to locate the most appropriate storm shelters if needed.

Well...time to get some sleep with one ear listening for the WX radio.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've always carried a battery weather radio. Also, after going through a tornado warning at the 09 national rally in OH, I now make sure I know where the safe haven places are in any campground we're at.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

I was inbetween the ones In Texas last Wednesday cleburne is 10 minutes from me last year was 1 mile from me a battery powered weather radio is a must
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We've always carried a battery weather radio. Also, after going through a tornado warning at the 09 national rally in OH, I now make sure I know where the safe haven places are in any campground we're at.

Lori-
X2.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
As a reminder, Many campground restrooms are cement structures. Pack a backpack with your 2 days worth food /meds for yourself & all members of your RV. Mine also has a roll of duct tape, plastic ponchos, 'silvery emergency blankets', water bottles, flashlight, and a deck of cards as well as waterproofed matches and crystal light single type beverage additives to make water taste better after you decontaminate it with the Clorox in the dropper bottle you packed for when you run out of water bottles. I got backpackers food pouches from my local bass pro outlet/camping supply type store and good old Wally World. Put a pocket knife in there if you don't carry one on you. Maybe some rope too. never know when you might need that!
I keep one of these bags stocked for 2 people in each vehicle we own.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When in "Tornado Alley" we always find out where the shelter is when checking in. We leave the weather radio on too.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The Red Cross has a Tornado App (and an Earthquake App) that are free to download. The Tornado App uses GPS that uses your position to push Watchs and Warnings to you. It also allows you to list a number of sites you want to monitor - but it only audibly warns you if you are in a Watch or Warning Area. It also has preparedness info and will list Shelters but it is not very robust, yet. My DH grew up in NW Oklahoma and was a meteorologist in the USAF. We are super sensitive to the weather. We have a number of Weather and Radar Apps on our devices but sometimes the local sirens are your best indicator. Please don't ignore them.
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

that is a concern of mine, we live in Calgary Alberta where we don`t have a lot of severe weather but my wife and I in the next year or so may take a year to travel. she would like to go east or west of here then down to the southern states and across and back up to Canada. one of the things I was going to research was when and where would we most likely run into severe weather and avoid it.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

We had a really bad storm here in Kansas on Saturday night and decided it would be a good idea to check on the trailer at the storage lot on Sunday. This is what we saw when we pulled up! Thank goodness it looked worse than it was and the only damage is a small scratch on the front left side. Other people's stuff at the storage lot wasn't so lucky as there was lots of damage to other RVs and boats. Tornado season is not something to mess around with!
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Commercial Member

we travel a lot in oklahoma and kansas during the spring and summer. have done so for the past 15 years. we were parked 10 miles north of the moore ok tornado in 1999.
i learned from that. i keep a weather radio on all the time. i use Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground to track storms on my computer. i make a hot spot with my iphone now to keep in constant touch. i had to depend on campground wifi until 3 years ago.
i never unhook my tow vehicle at night. if the alarm goes off, first find out what it is and where it is. sometimes, i start up and drive either south or north to get out of the storms path. you have to stay alert. anticipate storms. there are storm tracks to follow on your computer that will help you decide where to go to avoid a storm. it may involve moving quite a ways.
you all need to be aware that most storm shelters do not accept pets. not enough room. i understand the policy, but my pets are important to both of us, so we plan early what to do. attached are pics of a twister in el reno ok that we were near. no where to go, beause of widespread storm so i just took pics. my wife was so pleased. (sarcasm) the last is out of my truck window, about a thousand feet away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oklahoma twisters 001.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	39532   Click image for larger version

Name:	oklahoma twisters 003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	39533  

Click image for larger version

Name:	oklahoma twisters 004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	39534  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
As a reminder, Many campground restrooms are cement structures. Pack a backpack with your 2 days worth food /meds for yourself & all members of your RV. Mine also has a roll of duct tape, plastic ponchos, 'silvery emergency blankets', water bottles, flashlight, and a deck of cards as well as waterproofed matches and crystal light single type beverage additives to make water taste better after you decontaminate it with the Clorox in the dropper bottle you packed for when you run out of water bottles. I got backpackers food pouches from my local bass pro outlet/camping supply type store and good old Wally World. Put a pocket knife in there if you don't carry one on you. Maybe some rope too. never know when you might need that!
I keep one of these bags stocked for 2 people in each vehicle we own.
This is great advice.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #12

In Alabama we get a lot of severe weather, on the nights that possible storms might be coming I sleep with shirt and pants on, and I've always kept my fullface race helmet on the corner shelf where my old TV was, still spooky trying to sleep when my rig wiggles, I tried levelers up to get more width in the stance but that was worse than leveled with all at least touching ground, the last two bad storms the emergency radios or sirens never came on, the dog seems to be more accurate than the national weather service, if he sits up wide eyed and stares at the ceiling I grab my helmet.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We are passing through OK in a couple weeks. I made a reservation for an overnight a couple months ago at Hidden Lake RV Park in Ardmore because it was about the right distance. I notice they were proudly announcing their new storm shelter, which now has a greater level of importance.

We don't get many tornados in central Texas, but in '97 the same day as the F5 Jarrel, TX tornado, the system headed SW toward Cedar Park then Briarcliff. It spun a F3 in Cedar Park destroying an Albertsons, then a F4 as it crossed Lake Travis near Briarcliff. It missed my then 3 week old house by 300 yds, and myself and my two airedales hid in an interior closet. My roof was pasted with fiberglass insulation and debris and my whole 18 ac was covered with personal belongings from others. I picked up as much as I could and dropped it off at a designated location. They found a Rolex watch from Jarrel, a couple miles from my house. It's 60 nautical miles from Jarrel to my house.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #14

This is a subject that, this weekend, became something more than a topic of discussion. I and my family weren't involved, but close friends were... and their injuries, while not life threatening, are severe.

Seems that their rig, a "toy hauler", pulled by a 1 ton, single rear wheel Ford, was hit by sudden winds. The trailer was literally picked up, off the road, blown sideways, which in turn, spun the truck almost 90* and the entire rig rolled at least 3 times.

The truck was slammed into the road with such force, the right rear door was sheared off... our friends daughter and her boyfriend, even though seat belted, were ejected. Fortunately, if you can say that, they were both thrown well clear and onto the shoulder. The daughter's back was broken and her boyfriend suffered broken ribs, one of which, punctured a lung.

Mom, seated in the right front seat, was struck by a "quad-runner", that was torn out of the trailer and slammed into the right side of the truck, through her window. She suffered a crushed femur, broken fibula and tibia, along with various lacerations.

Their 3 year old, in a car seat, suffered a fairly significant concussion, when the quad's front wheel hit him in the head.

Dad ended up with both arms broken, a cracked sternum and a badly dislocated left knee.

I don't post this up for anything other than as a warning to never, ever, underestimate just how bad that "little bit of wind" can hurt you. My practice is to pull off the road as soon as I have to start correcting for significant winds. I may be over cautious, but it's not worth taking the chance.

Our friends thought they could "make it"... obviously, they couldn't.