Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

There are simple things to do here.

First we assume not a "classic" so nothing funny.

Next use ebay completed item search and find similar and EXACT models sold as well as ppl and other readily available online sources.

Print out the ones yiu wish to use (do not use cheap ones) as well as use the share function to send yourself the page.

Copy paste the link works as well but sometimes it does not, share functions often work better if using a phone as an example.

If yiu can find examples of exa:t Dame model that sold for more than they are offering then gather a minimum of 3 and propose they match the average as they will offer minimum bid style and you will want highest so average is good.

Check with manufacturer to seek out current value of your unit as they would best know by the build sheet and also contact the dealer you purchased it from and request a quote for replacement using your old unit as trade in.

That will provide a firm written quote for the value too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They can use any market value system they want, so if they won't use NADA its because of their policy, not somebody forcing them. But NADA for an RV is not a real good guide, simply because there is not the wealth of market data like there is for cars and trucks. Also, are you referring to the online NADA guide, or the subscription version? They are different in quality of the data. Banks sometimes use Kelly Blue Book or the RV Black Book. Might be worth your while to buy one or the other to get another perspective on value (handy when you go shopping for another one, too).

I don't see how they can get around the comp value difference on slide count, bath & length. Those are major factors in RV value and there is no getting around it. Any RV industry expert would agree if you need to challenge them on the aples-to-apples question.

I had a similar problem many years ago when I totaled a brand new, top-line Mazda RX7. The insurer kept giving me a "comp" that was a lesser model and a year older. I hunted around and found one of my own and sent it in. After not hearing anything for a week or so, I called again and was advised "the check is in the mail". I said "Great, but how much?" and they quoted the exact amount of the comp I had sent, plus sales tax. Have you hunted places like rvt.com, PPL's "sold" list, etc? Show them something different than what they have!

You may have to deal with dealer vs private market pricing too. There is typically a wide spread in value there.

The insurer is legally obligated to "make you whole" again, but they can really drag their feet is doing so. You can increase your leverage if you have fees for storage and protection of the damaged goods while they dither. Stop those mushrooms - put it in air conditioned storage and let them know they are paying for it.

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

start going up the BOSS chain... everyone working has a Boss .. start calling..

when I totaled my motorcycle .. took 7 weeks .. and maybe 20 phone calls.. I got a good and fair price...

and let them know, you are WILLING to get an attorney , but NOT yet.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #18

Count me in with those suggesting you provide some help with comps you feel are more reasonable. If they want to use stuff a year older, that would justify using stuff a year newer as well?

When it gets right down to it, my experience in dealing with them for quite a few years would show many adjusters really don't care what the final number is, as long as they can provide some justification to those further up the food chain - who really don't care either! Adjusting RV claims is something many, if not most, ins. companies struggle with. Airplanes and boats are easy compared to RV's. When it comes to these they're absolutely clueless, so just like you and I, staying conservative with your numbers are first instinct. You just need to blow them out of the water.....
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #19

Thanks for all of the info! I have tried PPL, RVT, Ebay and just plain googling and still can't find one same year and model. Ugh
Old 08-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #20

Have you tried the owners forums here? Perhaps some others have made a recent purchase or know of one like yours.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmom View Post
Thanks for all of the info! I have tried PPL, RVT, Ebay and just plain googling and still can't find one same year and model. Ugh
Just bear in mind they can't close the books on this until you sign off on the settlement check. Be patient, try not to hurry. If they see you aren't in a huge rush to settle, that fact itself will rattle their cages. It doesn't sound like you're that far apart already....
Old 08-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #22

If it's been close to 30 days and NADA is the only place they can find your actual model, it seems as though NADA should be what they pay.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have Total Loss Replacement on your policy?
Just went thru a total loss claim with Nationwide. Our experience was wonderful financially but did require 2 mths to complete. Our choice was to repurchase an equivalent unit....had to buy 1 year newer same model. We were offered a cash settlement of about 9K less than the replacemt cost. Insur also paid for taxes, tag and registration approx. $2400 "extra."
Get a higher level insur person involved or your state's atty. general's office if you have one. It is a free service.

Best of luck, don't give up, don't give in!! And once settled, I would go with a diff company!
Old 08-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #24

The problem is that there is not a nationwide chain of RV specific auctions to get sales information on. And the NADA is National Automobile Dealer's Association--so their best information is on automobiles and light trucks.

But the NADA is the only RV guide on the market. It's all the insurance industry has for values, and they can use it.

If you're offered NADA Trade In price, take it. The insurance company should also take the amount you'll be paying sales taxes on the used unit into account.

I would think Travelers (and many other full line insurance companies) have RV's as little part of their business. I know Progressive has RV specific adjusters regionally, and they're well known in larger RV body shops, etc.

RVTrader.com does have two 2009 Sandpipers like yours @ $23K and $26K. Condition and options are unknown.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #25

We Have an agreement!!!

Thanks to all of you for your advice! We stuck to our guns and they finally gave us a fair price!! We will be very happy to be done with this whole process for sure!! Unfortunately this will be the end of camping for us. With two girls, ages 11 and 6, we are getting too busy to use it enough to make it worthwhile. We are taking this as a sign to close this chapter for now, but who knows what's to come down the road! Oh, and yes, the vehicles we have with Travelers will be switched to another company for sure!!!

Thank you!! Have a great day!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were totaled in a tornado and our insurance company gave us $3000 more than we paid for it. Worked out well when buying a replacement coach!

Tags
insurance, led