Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

filing cabinet,desk,dining table.

We've got a freestanding table that is mounted to the wall that works great, pulls out for four with folding chairs in the closet. Also has the storage cabinets with the Corian top. Here's the rub, all of this works for camping and such but now we are fulltime and need something different. All of the documents, files, banking and so on is a little tough to store and work with. I know there are others that feel my pain. We're willing to ditch the table and start from scratch with something that will work and set two for a meal. We have 74in. x 44in of floor space to work with. Any and all suggestions and pics will be greatly appreciated, thanks 336muffin
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Would help if you posed some photos. ...:-)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know that there are some things that folks just need original hard copies of but that is getting less necessary for a lot of things. I don't keep much in hard copy. Those things that look important but don't require original signatures and seals get scanned and then shredded. I no longer get any bank statements in hard copy. That has reduced my filing needs to nearly nothing. Granted, I don't run a business or have other interests that require a lot of paperwork storage. I also have off premises back up of these important files. If my house burns down I can still get to all of that data.

Just a thought for your consideration.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Check out Carlyle Lehman's web site.

He can build anything you want and he does excellent work. Many of us have his products.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on Carlyle Lehman at Focal Wood Products. He just built for me a dog house cabinet and a folding coffee table. Very pleased.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a 30" wide 2 drawer filing cabinet at a furniture store in Ft Worth Texas, that fits perfectly under the slide out fwd window. We removed the sofa bed and installed a recliner. We use the floor mounted seat belts to secure both the file cabinet and recliner. Sorry I have no pics on my tablet to show you.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also got rid of a useless (to us) cabinet and had a desk built to specs for our MH. Works out great and has plenty of useful storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desk 2.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	31443   Click image for larger version

Name:	desk 3.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	31444  

stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
We also got rid of a useless (to us) cabinet and had a desk built to specs for our MH. Works out great and has plenty of useful storage.

I like that.

Now just to install a pop up TV.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife covered a plastic top loaded filing cabinet with UltraLeather and made a padded cover out of 1/8 inch plywood that is glued to the lid. We use it as a foot rest/ottoman when not opening it for filing stuff.

We use a cardboard filing box for seldom used stuff that we keep in one of the bays.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

Scanning of documents may be good for me to try. (realizing scanning does not take away the need to reconfigure furniture) The DW works at a law firm and everything they receive in the mail is scanned into their online system. I guess if even a law firm can do that it should work at home (whether stick or rolling home). She mentioned buying a scanner/software (maybe that one on TV?) and doing it a home so we have it all figured out before we go more-time. Has anyone else tried scanning?

Sky Boss...what did you learn as you started to scan things more?
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonchaserTX View Post
Scanning of documents may be good for me to try. (realizing scanning does not take away the need to reconfigure furniture) The DW works at a law firm and everything they receive in the mail is scanned into their online system. I guess if even a law firm can do that it should work at home (whether stick or rolling home). She mentioned buying a scanner/software (maybe that one on TV?) and doing it a home so we have it all figured out before we go more-time. Has anyone else tried scanning?

Sky Boss...what did you learn as you started to scan things more?
Actually, I don't have to scan much at all. Almost anything I need to keep records of can be gotten in PDF through the credit card/bank/whatever companies. I do download PDFs of some things for local access. Even my tax records are getting to be totally electronic. My taxes are not complex. The largest paper file that I have is mortgage paperwork. If that was all standard size paper I would have scanned all of that. Been too lazy to get that done but I will get it done before summer.

All my files (including music, pictures and stuff like that) are backed up to a remote storage facility through my service provider. I even keep household contents records (descriptions and photos for insurance purposes) electronically in the same system. That doesn't even include the fact that I keep local electronic copies of these items on both mine and Sandee's PCs that are synchronized. Right now, the only real use for my file cabinet is to hold my scanner/printer. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #12

Here is our factory Newmar table/desk.

Desk form.

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	32207

Coran topped table pulled out.

Name:	IMG_6520.jpg