Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #99

How much water to carry?

This is always an interesting/spirited question and the answer usually relates to your past experience, as in when you did not have enough. I always carry a maxed out tank. What does it cost you to carry an extra3-400 lbs of water, in your 10-14 ton RV? It costs very little, compared to the headaches when you do not have sufficient potable water. One of the reasons we do the RV thing is that we enjoy the independence. Why start out with a marginal water supply and make yourself dependent on someone else's water supply? Some of us are always thinking about disaster preparedness. When it "hits the fan", there is only you and what you have in reserve. This can be a surprise snow storm or break down in the middle of no where (might even be a Tsunami in Arizona). I have never regretted carrying the max amount of fresh water all the time. Keep them rolling!
naugens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #100

Water quality is really important to us. We keep our tanks fresh and drinkable. Unfortunately, when you are away from home your resources are unproven. I fill up at home or somewhere where I know the supply is in frequent use, tastes good, etc. You definitely don't want to run out. Something, I did during a storm at a very poor anchorage in my boat off Pt. Conception in Southern California!
aztucwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
At the CG

Fill the tank at home....weight is a very small percentage of total weight of MH
(80 gals= 3% of 20K)

Besides......traveling with water on-board allows potty stops, fixing lunch, washing hands as needed etc.

And what IF the water is bad or unavailable when you get where you are going!!!

Use to only travel with a few gallons for just in case.
Got to destination and MAIN had busted the night before. NO water for over a week......had to go buy bottled water
Last time...traveled after that will FULL tank/mileage didn't change and ALWAYS had water

Then refilled at destination
Yes to what he said....
Old 09-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #102

What you had was anerobic bacteria in your water system. The rotten egg smell was hydrogen sulfide. The best way to eliminate it is with odorless bleach using about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach to 15 gallons of fresh water. Best way is to shake it up by driving. However, if you start with the tank half full or less, add the bleach then fill it should mix when you fill up the tank. By pass the water heater and empty it. Run the bleach water through all the fixtures, cold and hot, including the toilet and any not used like washer. Make sure you smell bleach at each fixture and run for a few minutes more. Leave everything stand for at least an hour. More is better, we usually over night. Drain the fresh water tank when time is up. Add new fresh water the the FW tank and purge out all the fixtures. Fill the water heater with the new water.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Better to fill with water at a dump site[emoji12]
UGH!
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #104

I have a 38' class A DP and I only carry enough to use the bathroom and wash hands because weight does make a difference! Think about it, at 80 gal @ 8.34# per gal = 667# of weight and some RVs hold 90 gals = 751#. It will make a impact on your fuel and stress on other components on the coach i.e. frame, suspension, brakes. For every 5 gals=41.7#'s.
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
RVs are built to travel with all tanks full if needed. It’s like saying that you don’t drive with a full tank of fuel because of the stress. As far as fuel economy, I never consider it. If I plan my trips and carrying capacity around MPG then I think I’m probably in too big of a rig or my RV budget is too tight. I always head out with a full tank of fuel and water and don’t worry about running out of either.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesrus3 View Post
I have a 38' class A DP and I only carry enough to use the bathroom and wash hands because weight does make a difference! Think about it, at 80 gal @ 8.34# per gal = 667# of weight and some RVs hold 90 gals = 751#. It will make a impact on your fuel and stress on other components on the coach i.e. frame, suspension, brakes. For every 5 gals=41.7#'s.
Danesrus, we also have a 38' DP. If we were concerned with the weight of a full water tank significantly (or even MEASURABLY) impacting our fuel mileage, or overly stressing the frame/suspension/brakes, we would would be rapidly looking for another brand of coach!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #107

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Danesrus, we also have a 38' DP. If we were concerned with the weight of a full water tank significantly (or even MEASURABLY) impacting our fuel mileage, or overly stressing the frame/suspension/brakes, we would would be rapidly looking for another brand of coach!
It’s more about safety than fuel mileage, in my opinion. When I towed, I saw many people towing more than was save for their towing vehicle. Some people don’t even know what their weight load is or that the weight of the trailer doesn’t include cabinets, etc. Most of the time I’d here, “My salesman said it could pull xx weight just fine” or My salesman said you can carry your screen rooms, chairs, outdoor rugs and grills and a full tank of water with no problem.” If they don’t give people their pitch, they don’t get a commission. I always felt good pulling a lightweight trailer with a Ram 3500 Diesel. The only time I’d get nervous was if I had someone towing with an overweight rig as he or she was pushed down a steep hill behind me burning brakes. JMO
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #108

I'm a little shocked that someone would not be concerned about weight and of course, safety is disturbing. I agree with HoboPals that I too have seen people hauling too much weight and/or oversized their weight limits on trailers and RV's. Living in AZ with nothing but mountains and to carry/haul additional (almost) 1/2 ton more weight when you really don't need to makes no sense. Take some bottle water and a bag of ice in the freezer if your concern about breaking down. JMO too.
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
If you rig is designed to carry the weight what is there to be concerned about? Of coarse overloading and poor driving practices are a whole different story/discussion. JMHO [emoji23]
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #110

American Coach Owners Club
I almost always fill the fresh water tank before I leave home. I like the extra weight down low. I "think" it may help a bit when the wind is a little gusty - side to side. YMMV
Old 09-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #111

Sounds like some people claim extra weight is no problem for them to haul. If someone asked you to haul a 800 lb (box or load) across country in your RV would you accept? A 100 gal of water is just like the 800 lb load.
I usually haul 100 gal of fuel in my aux tank which can save $50+ going into a high fuel cost area. Water is usually free and just not worth hauling.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #112

FULL

Once a boy scout always a boy scout - Be Prepared. I always travel full, in case I stop along the road somewhere and decided to boondock for a night or two. Even when staying in a campground, I usually top off the fresh water tank.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water