Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Sounds like some people claim extra weight is no problem for them to haul. If someone asked you to haul a 800 lb (box or load) across country in your RV would you accept? A 100 gal of water is just like the 800 lb load.
I usually haul 100 gal of fuel in my aux tank which can save $50+ going into a high fuel cost area. Water is usually free and just not worth hauling.
To answer the above question in red: Depends on who it was doing the asking, and what was in it.

For a friend, probably. For a stranger, probably not.

But your question is not the same as what is being discussed. We haul the extra water for OUR benefit, and the box would be for someone ELSE'S benefit!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
But your question is not the same as what is being discussed. We haul the extra water for OUR benefit, and the box would be for someone ELSE'S benefit!
You're missing the point. Do you add 800 lbs (or in my case, 600 lbs) to your GVW without a second thought? No big deal? I think it depends on your rig and your mentality. Some folks need to consider adding weight like that.
surfshoptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #129

aren't you all dancing around the issue?

It seems to me, the weight would be more directly affect the engine and transmission. the fuel mileage would basically stay the same,
but why strain the engine and drive train more than necessary with extra weight?

unless you had a Super C with a large horsepower diesel engine
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
aren't you all dancing around the issue?

It seems to me, the weight would be more directly affect the engine and transmission. the fuel mileage would basically stay the same,
but why strain the engine and drive train more than necessary with extra weight?

unless you had a Super C with a large horsepower diesel engine
If you look at the weigh placard it’s included. So it’s all good. Unless you make your rig overweight in some other way. And then...it wouldn’t be the water making it overweight. It would be all your other crap.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #131

Weight placardClick image for larger version

Name:	20180703_122226.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	221209
Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #132

Quote:
To answer the above question in red: Depends on who it was doing the asking, and what was in it.

For a friend, probably. For a stranger, probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfshoptom View Post
You're missing the point. Do you add 800 lbs (or in my case, 600 lbs) to your GVW without a second thought? No big deal? I think it depends on your rig and your mentality. Some folks need to consider adding weight like that.
Actually, I don't believe I am. To understand comments made to a thread, it is generally necessary to read the entire thread, not take responses out of context.

Various reasons for carrying and not carrying water have been floated (no pun intended) here.

Some of reasons for carrying include:

• safety factor in case of unexpected delay in travel and ending up in location where water is not available.
  • arriving at destination park and finding water shut off.
  • less structured travel where traveler may not know in the AM where they will be stopping in the PM. (hook ups, or boon docking)
  • perceived better handling characteristics if water is carried (lower center of gravity)

Some reasons for NOT carrying have included:
  • fear that the fresh water tank will add un-needed stress, causing tank to fall out the bottom of the RV.
  • adverse impact on fuel usage.
  • increased wear to drive train components.
  • concern about water freezing in tank

I'm sure there are other reasons both for and against, but above are listed a few.

I absolutely agree that everyone needs to consider the impact of carrying ANYTHING in their RV, whether it be freshwater, extra clothing, washer/dryer, etc. That should be obvious to everyone, and everyone needs to determine what they wish to do based on their specific needs, usage, and RV being utilized. That was made pretty clear in the prior 100+ posts.

One of the important issues is that you should not make a determination based on misunderstood, or incorrect assumptions FOR YOUR PERSONAL needs, usage, and RV being used.

For example, on some RV's, who apparently (from previous posts) have a history of water tanks falling out, it would behoove the owner not to travel with any water in the fresh water tank.

For others, if they have demonstrated evidence that adding another 800 lbs of water to a 27,000 lb coach will cause the fuel mileage to go from 8 mpg to 6 mph, then by all means travel with an empty water tank.

If carrying 800 lbs of water will cause increased wear, resulting in your RV, built on a 2,000,000 mile chassis to only be good for 1,950,000 miles, and that concerns them, then by all means travel with an empty water tank.

Bottom line, which you alluded to, and which I agree with, every owner needs to make their own decisions for their rig based on their own specific and unique circumstances. What could possibly be misunderstood about that?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #133

Quote:
Actually, I don't believe I am. To understand comments made to a thread, it is generally necessary to read the entire thread, not take responses out of context.

Various reasons for carrying and not carrying water have been floated (no pun intended) here.

Some of reasons for carrying include:

• safety factor in case of unexpected delay in travel and ending up in location where water is not available.
  • arriving at destination park and finding water shut off.
  • less structured travel where traveler may not know in the AM where they will be stopping in the PM. (hook ups, or boon docking)
  • perceived better handling characteristics if water is carried (lower center of gravity)

Some reasons for NOT carrying have included:
  • fear that the fresh water tank will add un-needed stress, causing tank to fall out the bottom of the RV.
  • adverse impact on fuel usage.
  • increased wear to drive train components.
  • concern about water freezing in tank

I'm sure there are other reasons both for and against, but above are listed a few.

I absolutely agree that everyone needs to consider the impact of carrying ANYTHING in their RV, whether it be freshwater, extra clothing, washer/dryer, etc. That should be obvious to everyone, and everyone needs to determine what they wish to do based on their specific needs, usage, and RV being utilized. That was made pretty clear in the prior 100+ posts.

One of the important issues is that you should not make a determination based on misunderstood, or incorrect assumptions FOR YOUR PERSONAL needs, usage, and RV being used.

For example, on some RV's, who apparently (from previous posts) have a history of water tanks falling out, it would behoove the owner not to travel with any water in the fresh water tank.

For others, if they have demonstrated evidence that adding another 800 lbs of water to a 27,000 lb coach will cause the fuel mileage to go from 8 mpg to 6 mph, then by all means travel with an empty water tank.

If carrying 800 lbs of water will cause increased wear, resulting in your RV, built on a 2,000,000 mile chassis to only be good for 1,950,000 miles, and that concerns them, then by all means travel with an empty water tank.

Bottom line, which you alluded to, and which I agree with, every owner needs to make their own decisions for their rig based on their own specific and unique circumstances. What could possibly be misunderstood about that?
Unfortunately I have noticed that the forums seem to reflect the society around us: most folks share what they do with the underlying concept that the OP is free to take it or leave it. There are a handful of posters that want everyone to know that THEY are right and only idiots could possibly disagree with them. Fortunately, the majority of us don't seek their approval.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Unfortunately I have noticed that the forums seem to reflect the society around us: most folks share what they do with the underlying concept that the OP is free to take it or leave it. There are a handful of posters that want everyone to know that THEY are right and only idiots could possibly disagree with them. Fortunately, the majority of us don't seek their approval.
Words of wisdom
Sailor Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #135

I've read this entire thread. I must say that I am surprised that it has gone on this long. Some folks don't seem think that less weight is a good thing when it comes to traveling down the road. That doesn't mean that you throw caution out the window and travel without any water. If your coach had a 200 gal water tank on it, would you travel with it full? From my 50+ years of experience in the RV world, I find that many people waste water like crazy. Often it is some Dude and his wife that must wash her hair everyday, and have never had to live on Well water. They also have never learned how to take a 2 gal shower. My new Minnie 26A just has a 40 gal tank. That will last a week. My last rig had a 50 gal fresh water tank. In all these years, I have NEVER run out of water, and the majority of my camping is Boon Docking. Bottom line is this: If you want to haul water so that you can fill your Wading pool when you get to the campground..... then Do it! You don't have to justify it to anyone. The only time that I can see that it would become a problem would be if there was a very limited supply of water available at the facility. (I camp at one place that has a very limited well, and they ask folks not to fill up) Then you ought to just take what you need and let someone else do the same.
Snakebite476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #136

Our rig:
1997 Ford cabover housetruck.
GVWR == 29,000#
Scale weight == 14,000#.

Our situation:
We full-time, boondocking exclusively.

We see benefits of full water tanks:
a) always ready in case of delay due to road blocks, weather, breakdowns.
b) fire suppression == our rig, neighbors' rigs, roadside.
c) destination quality / quantity.

We travel with full fresh water tanks plus full rations.
Our holding tanks are empty.

PS:
Yes, I am familiar with the 'Pound Me Too' 'movement'.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #137

By the way, CAMCO makes a great inline water filter that is available at most wal-marts. It accepts garden hose normal fittings and gives you purified water for everything. I love mine and it was 18 bucks. Will last at least a year. Try one out.
RicSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #138

Foretravel Owners Club
Always run with full fresh water.. additional weight not a concern.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #139

On a recent trip, and reservations made, we pulled into an RV park. Upon entering the office they informed us there was a water main break, and no water. They were working on it. We chose to stay....and were really glad we had 2/3 tank of fresh water on board. We typically always travel with that amount. Far from even nearing our OCCC weight capacity.... of 4,209 lbs. Water situation was repaired by next morning, and we stayed two more days.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #140

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Always run with full fresh water.. additional weight not a concern.
Same !

(Quote)..By the way, CAMCO makes a great inline water filter that is available at most wal-marts. It accepts garden hose normal fittings and gives you purified water for everything. I love mine and it was 18 bucks. Will last at least a year. Try one out.

Yeah, those will stop the rocks , not much else.

Tags
tank, water