Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Filling water tank problem

So ive become very annoyed at the process of filling my holding tank. Whenever I pull the fill hose 2 gallons comes rushing out all over my feet.... am I missing something? Thanks all!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

You should be able to fill it from your city water hook up!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Might try a back flow preventer, maybe like this one:

Amazon.com : Hose Thread Backflow Preventer : Hose Drip Systems : Patio, Lawn & Garden

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Assuming you are filling the fresh water tank through the gravity fill opening. Either you are using a large diameter hose that completely blocks the fill tube and/or there is no separate vent pipe or it is kinked or blocked or too small, and/or you are filling much too fast for the air to escape. The tank bulges and creates a pressurised air pocket so when you pull the hose out, several gallons of water under pressure follow it out.

Need to be careful filling because it is very easy to get several psi in the tank which will then bulge and do major damage. Only takes a couple of psi for the tank to press outwards (up and down) with a couple of tons of force
Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
You should be able to fill it from your city water hook up!
Maybe. Our first unit did by changing valve settings. Our new one has a separate place to add water to the tank and does not have the valve panel.

The second kind is a PITA because the fill hole barely holds the hose so it is easy for it to fall out or overflow. That is why they make the fill adapters that are a length of tubing with a hose connector.

If somebody wants to DIY I figured out that a hose is threaded the same as 3/4 pipe. One could attach a 3/4 female to a ball valve and a foot of solid tubing to make their own adapter. Put the control at the hole. ;-)

I listen to the sound of the water going in and cut back the flow as it changes. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #6

That sounds like the vent tube is blocked, allowing pressure to build-up in the tank. There should be a vent hole near the fill opening, the plastic tube is attached to the tank and to the backside of the fill housing. Find a way to view the tube, even if you have to remove the fill housing. Inspect the tubing for kinks, pinched between something, filled with water, or any condition other than open. All fresh water tanks have an open vent to prevent pressurizing the tank, which is not designed for internal pressure.
If water is blocking air flow through the tube, you may use air pressure to blow it back into the tank, but make sure the fill cap is removed or risk rupturing the tank. After clearing water from the tube, re-route it to eliminate all low-spots (high in center is easiest) so it will not happen again.

EDIT: I see Tony Lee posted the same information a few minutes earlier.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! Ill tear into and see if the vent tube is blocked. Id say my fw is 40g and takes like 15 min to fill...
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
I bought an item at campers world that is clear vinyl tube that goes down into the fill inlet past the air vent opening. It lets me fill faster and not have the burp back that you are experiencing. It has a shut off valve built in. Check them out.
recycled55
4674 catalog number according to their web site.
cost two dollars and change.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

Your fill intake has a check valve in it to stop the backflow you are experiencing. Adding water can build up air pressure if the vent is obstructed. If the check valve is stuck open you could empty your holding tank into ter basement when you travel. Don't ask me how I know this . The part is cheap and the change is easy to do.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Your fill intake has a check valve in it to stop the backflow you are experiencing. Adding water can build up air pressure if the vent is obstructed. If the check valve is stuck open you could empty your holding tank into ter basement when you travel. Don't ask me how I know this . The part is cheap and the change is easy to do.
My water fill doesnt have a check valve. Its got a tube and vent line. The only water leaves my tank is the drain or pump line. Lol ive never hooked up to city. So I dont know if that check valve is good. Im gonna check the vent tube
Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #11

Mine does not have a check valve either. It's a straight gravity feed system. I've had water coming out the vent so that works. ;-) The basic issue is that there is no seal between the hose and the fill pipe so one needs to learn how to time or anticipate the tank getting full. If one misses full hose pressure squirts water all over the place. It's even more fun if the hose end comes flying out squirting water. ;-)

Tags
tank, water