Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
what powers this device? 120V AC, 12 DC, or USB port
It's 12 v dc and comes with a 110 power adapter but you can cut off the 110 end and wire on a 12v plug or just hard wire it.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #16

Does this rebroadcast the outside signal or does use a separate SSID for inside?
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Does this rebroadcast the outside signal or does use a separate SSID for inside?
separate SSID
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post

15dBi High Gain Omni 5.5' Got it today and installed it on the roof with a boat antenna mount that will allow it to lay down when on the road and a quick pull when parked and it's ready to go.
I'm interested in where you found the antenna mount for this 5.5 foot antenna.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac
We have (what Verizon call) a MiFi. Very small (like a large credit cad about 1/2 " thick). We are in South Dakota, have traveled thru Canada, and up and down the East Coast. With-out WiFi only once in Bar Harbour Maine. The cost is $50/month. We have cancelled internet access in our PA home and just use the MiFi. There is a limit, but it is 5 gigs. When traveling, only useit when camp-site has no WiFi or when wife is paying bills on-line.
We use this also (AT&T has the same thing but Verizon was giving the cards away awhile ago with a 2 yr contract that was cheaper than AT&T). It too allows up to 5 simultaneous connections. We have had excellent results and find it is much faster and more secure than campground provided wi-fi service and of course works anywhere Verizon has a signal. BUT it does cost approx $50/month.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Since I mounted it on the roof (in back near the ladder) and the antenna is light I used an antenna mount for a boat. I got the one that has a locking swivel with a small handle and a 4 bolt base. It has the same size diameter as the antenna pipe which is used to mount the antenna. I'm using it now. I didn't even put it up here at this park and I'm showing 17 hot spots. Works great.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you I saw a few of them earlier this morning, I also thought about mounting it near the ladder in the rear for easy access getting the cable inside.

Mark one more as sold this afternoon.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Thank you I saw a few of them earlier this morning, I also thought about mounting it near the ladder in the rear for easy access getting the cable inside.

Mark one more as sold this afternoon.
Your welcome John. Just make sure you get enough cable. I had to buy an extra 10' to make mine work. You can place the router anywhere in the coach but using the wifi my old laptop gets 54 mbps so I use the ethernet cable to hook up and I get 100 mbps so I mounted the router on my desk.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I found an "Alfa" wireless ante'nna for about $37 that plugs into USB and seems to work very well from inside the motorhome but it has enough cable to go outside if necessary. Check this link.. http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

John
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
I found an "Alfa" wireless ante'nna for about $37 that plugs into USB and seems to work very well from inside the motorhome but it has enough cable to go outside if necessary. Check this link.. http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

John
I'm glad yours worked. I have 2 that don't. WIFI is a directional wave so anything in it's way will cause poor reception. The inside antennas have the whole coach around them so they are not real efficient. With the antenna on top of the roof and the repeater/router any signal it picks up is amplified and you get a good signal. Before I kicked in the Jefa Tech I tried just my laptop card and got 3 signals all very poor reception. After plugging the Jefa in I show 17 signals with 12 having 5 bars. It's the combanation of the roof antenna and the router/repeater that make this system unbeatable.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am currently parked in my daughter's backyard. I can use their wifi but I have to be in a certain spot in my MH. I ordered one and can't wait to get it installed so I can be free to use my ipad wherever. Thanks!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #26

Thumbs up

Just some tips for those who bought one:

1- buy enough cable to reach where you want the router to go. The cable is special so order it from Jefa when you get the antenna.

2- Here is the mount I used. Ace hardware has them too.
Wilson Electronics 901119 Marine Antenna Mount Cell Phone Accessory
I cut the pipe for the antenna mount down to 8 inches before installing it and you will have to drill a hole in the side to let the wire out.

3- I used a length of 3/4 pvc pipe to run the cable from my rear ladder area to the front where my desk is at. I just silicone the pipe down every foot so it can be uninstalled easily. I used a 90 degree U joint to put the wire into the MH.

4- I also bought a clamp, the spring type one you hang a broom or tools from at home Depot to hold down and secure the tip of the antenna when it's down.

The whole thing took me about 2 hrs to do. I don't usually brag about products but this one actually works. I have a pile of stuff I've purchased that doesn't work as advertized and I hate wasting my money. Hope this helps you all.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #27
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the H Field antenna it works fine for me up to 1000 feet in an open area, it tells you that in the paperwork with the unit. I have found that I get an internet connection if there is an unsecure one available in most campgrounds trees do block the signal somewhat just put it at the window and point it. You get what you pay for. For $150 like the one mentioned previously I would expect a better antenna. I use the Wi Fire as a backup I also use verizon wireless's MIFI wireless hotspot, I bought it myself so there is no contract needed I activate it & de activate as needed as stated previously $50 a month/5 gig, but if you use it for 2 weeks you get a prorated bill for the time used so far from Maine to Florida it works fine tech support is also good 24/7
Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I found the mount for mine on the roof of my motorhome:

I simply used hose clamps to attach it to the TV antenna - stands up with the antenna and lays down flat with the antenna ...

Tags
antenna