Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #43

The tree will block some signals so it isn't a fair evaluation. Hook it up to the top of the coach and see what a difference it will make. Don't know what to say about the bracket.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought about tree resistance also so I put it in front of the bus but only a few feet above ground level which would have gave it a clear line of vision so to speak towards a built up area but it might just have been too far to test. Towards the other side where more homes would be would also be where substantially more trees are also.

I'm going to take it to work and see what happens there in a more built up area and see if I can get McDonald's maybe a 1/2 mile away (air miles) with very little if any interference.

I'm not really too unhappy with the results today as the deck was really stacked against getting good results.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John,
For the distances you are trying to attain you may want to consider a directional antenna instead of an omni directional antenna.

For a omni directional antenna think of the wifi radio waves being transmitted from the source coming out straight up in a mushroom cloud pattern.

For a directional antenna imagine concentrated wifi radio waves extending out into a baseball bat pattern.

If you aim the baseball bat (directional antenna) at the mushroom (wifi transmitting source) It will touch the source whereas another mushroom (omni directional antenna) sitting near the source will not contact it.
Hope that makes sense.

I use a Hawking HA12W 12dbi directional antenna and have no problem getting at least 50% signal from a wifi source 1/2 mile away. Of course that is with a line of sight source.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now your talking something that would require a little bit of work on my part

When I pull in for the night I don't even crank up the TV antenna, if I get a station great, if not so what.

The internet connection falls into the same category, I don't do a tremendous amount of things with a computer.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Now your talking something that would require a little bit of work on my part
I guess I'm letting too much of my geekyness show

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna