Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Finally found low-wattage heater

The storage compartment on my 5er has a lot of water pipes and no heat source. I have been looking for a low-wattage electric heater to put under there when the temps are below freezing. I know I could have dumped a little heat under there from the furnace, but we try to use the electric fireplace as much as possible to save on propane. We have a heated mattress pad on our bed so don't need much other heat at night. All I could find up to now has been the 1200 to 1500 watt heaters. Finally I hit paydirt! While we were in NC on vacation I was in Wal-Mart and found the perfect solution. It is a 200 watt ceramic heater called "My Heat personal heater", made by Lasko, priced just under $12, with a 3-year warranty! The current draw is less than 2 amps. It works great, keeping the storage area well above freezing. Hope this helps some of you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been using safety caged shop lights for a couple of years now, but this looks like a good idea as well. Found them on Google at Lasko 100 200-Watt My Heat Personal Heater#

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Someone on another RV site gave a link to this heater on Amazon.com, and pointed out that there were several reviews that mentioned that this heater has failed after a short time, mainly the fan stops working. This could potentially create a fire hazard. I placed my heater on an old metal baking sheet and put a battery powered smoke detector on the ceiling of the storage area above the heater. I would probably never hear the smoke detector, but my wife has super-sensitive ears and would definitely hear it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got mine at CVS pharmacy a few years back, "World's Smallest Electric Heater" 150 watts.

What I use in my wet bay though is simpler still.. Light bulbs.

Under the supply tank is a string of C-9 Christmas tree lights These are 9 watt and so long as you only turn 'em on when it's cool out (I think they come on at 35-40 degrees off at 40-45, It's a "Thermostat" outlet adapter designed for cattle watering tanks and such) I have a 100 watt bulb in the black/gray end of the compartment, and another hundred watts under the other gray tank (Shower and back lavs) however we never hold water in that tank if we can avoid it.

Plus they are all heated by the RV's furnace.. If I choose to use and get it fixed.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Been using safety caged shop lights for a couple of years now, but this looks like a good idea as well. Found them on Google at Lasko 100 200-Watt My Heat Personal Heater#
HAHA.. The Description for that:

Lasko - 100 - designed With The Casual Golf Fan in Mind, Eagle Eye Golf Delivers a Fun And Fast Game of Links, Yet Deep Enough to Challenge Even Veteran Video Game Golfers. Play up to 4 Players on 7 Challenging Courses in a Variety of Game Modes Such as Mission, Tournament, And Even Team-based Games.

As for the fan quiting: I have found that most of these small shaded pole fans are tightened too tight throwing the shafts out of alignment. I have taken to always loosening them and them 'just' tightening them..
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
heating bay with hand heater

How about a hand heather on a plate. The disposalbe ones.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #7

I bought a Lasko from HD because my feet were always getting cold. I relocated the tip sensor so I can lay it on it's side, but still shuts off if it gets knocked face down. I only have a 300 watt converter and with the laptop and small TV plugged it is just what I needed. Wool socks also help.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater