RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Not many choices around Vegas for diesel......found Henderson has a few station that carry it.....gonna visit one there in 2 weeks...found it using Gasbuddy, then looked it up on laptop....
That's good to know. Thanks

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #16

For me, I can travel two 300 mile days 'til I get to half a tank so I have some time to find a station that works. If I am at my day two campsite I will drive the toad around looking for local gas stations that have diesel and have lanes that are easy in and out. If they have lanes that are parallel to the street it is easier but seems that most have them are perpendicular to the road. A corner station usually makes it easy too.
Once I find the station, I will stop on the way out of the CG and fill up.
I too, use Google Earth Pro and zoom to street view to check out the station.
With a towed on a tow bar it is kinda critical you figure out your entrance and escape route, since you can't back up at all. More than once I was on my escape route and a big 5th wheel whipped in from the other direction and left his trailer blocking all traffic while he filled up He looked at us like "what??" Bonehead...

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #17

The OP's fear of enough room in stations is overblown entirely,

Remember that at EVERY station a Double tanker semi gets in to fill the tanks. Also semis from food and drink distributors also maneuver in.

My truck and trailer equal 53 feet overall and I have yet to find a station I cannot fit into and get out of with ease.

His toad unless it is very large most likely turns withing or very closely to the tire tracking of the MH because of it's small wheelbase and narrow track. Therefore it is not the huge factor that he may feel it is.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I try to use Flying J or Pilot. Most stations are are set up similar. Some even have a dedicated MH lane. If not I come in close to store part, parallel to store then swing , drivers side to last pump. As its the last pump, there is a lot of swing room.

This is great as long as you don't mind paying the $0.30 to $0.60 more per gallon than other stations that are not truck stops. (This is for Diesel)

The truck stops have priced diesel artificially high for "Drive In" customers. They give big discounts to companies like Comdata and large trucking companies which brings their true "net" price down to competitive levels with other stations. Some of these discounts depending on the contract and station can be as much as $1.00/gallon (And by other stations I don't mean Pilot or TA or Loves, but other non truck stop stations.

Learn to get your rig into places it will easily fit and save yourself a lot of money.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
Remember that at EVERY station a Double tanker semi gets in to fill the tanks. Also semis from food and drink distributors also maneuver in.
Yes. But, I have yet to see one at the gasoline pumps.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
The OP's fear of enough room in stations is overblown entirely,

My truck and trailer equal 53 feet overall and I have yet to find a station I cannot fit into and get out of with ease.

His toad unless it is very large most likely turns withing or very closely to the tire tracking of the MH because of it's small wheelbase and narrow track. Therefore it is not the huge factor that he may feel it is.
I tend to agree for the most part, but those tankers can back up; I can't with the toad. Well, I can't back far, anyway.

I find that I can usually get to one of the end pumps safely, but people sometimes park their cars in non-parking spaces and block the exit. I can swing wide into the inner pumps to get the toad through safely, but if there's someone on one side that can be difficult. I got into one recently then some dingbat came in and parked in front of me in a place not marked for parking, and I couldn't leave until he did.

I do prefer the Flying-Js and will use them when they're available. For gasoline they're a little higher, but with the nickle discount they're still competitive.

I'll fill when the gauge hits 1/4 tank or before, and it usually takes around 50 gallons. With an 80-gallon tank that leaves a pretty good cushion.

Finally, we don't miss a good opportunity. If we see an easy station we'll sometimes stop and top off even if we need fuel yet.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #21

We use google earth/maps like most folks on here.

And we avoid Murphy oils like they had herpes. I haven't seen one yet that didn't require a 90 turn within 15 feet of the island. And usually 3 or more milk heads are parked along the curb getting smokes.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #22

I think the OPs point is about GAS not Diesel. When we went to get GAS the very first time as Newbies we followed the directions the salesman showed us and went to the local gas station. We pulled up to the lovely, open DIESEL lanes. There were big rig trucks in the lane next to us. We felt at home.

Only problem with that is we have a GAS MH. Talk about feeling stoopid. D'Oh!!! We both got out, looked over the pumps, looked over our MH and looked at each other in horror. Then we remembered the salesman had showed us a Dutch Star and we went with him in a Ventana (both Diesel) to fill up.

We had to maneuver over to the GAS pumps very carefully. It was a busy Sunday afternoon. Took us 25 minutes to get a spot. Lesson learned.

We now watch for a maneuverable and open place. It is hard to get a MH that is 40' plus a toad into a busy gas station. The navigator is the one who helps with the lining up the tank and ensuring we don't crash the back end. Yes, it's complicated.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Michigan to FL twice a year. I-75. I routinely run the tank down to under 1/4 full. My Garmin will search out gas stations on my route, and I search for Flying J as they have RV friendly pumps. Garmin tells me how far to the station, 400 miles is what I shoot for on a tank, I reset my odometer at every fill up. And I have the Flying J/Pilot card which saves me a nickle a gallon. Not worth the hassle of looking for cheaper gas and hope I can maneuver my rig and toad in and out.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I tend to agree for the most part, but those tankers can back up; I can't with the toad. Well, I can't back far, anyway.

I find that I can usually get to one of the end pumps safely, but people sometimes park their cars in non-parking spaces and block the exit. I can swing wide into the inner pumps to get the toad through safely, but if there's someone on one side that can be difficult. I got into one recently then some dingbat came in and parked in front of me in a place not marked for parking, and I couldn't leave until he did.

I do prefer the Flying-Js and will use them when they're available. For gasoline they're a little higher, but with the nickle discount they're still competitive.

I'll fill when the gauge hits 1/4 tank or before, and it usually takes around 50 gallons. With an 80-gallon tank that leaves a pretty good cushion.

Finally, we don't miss a good opportunity. If we see an easy station we'll sometimes stop and top off even if we need fuel yet.

I understand your problem and do sympathize. But in reality most Fuel tankers are the same setup as your MH ie. a straight truck followed by a trailer. This is also very dicey to backup. The one-trailer semi type are backable but that is a very tough thing in a busy gas station.

As a temp job to keep me busy I drive a 45 ft Motorcoach for Holland America Princess in Alaska during some summer seasons. There isnt much about driving your type of vehicle that I don't understand. And some of the Hotel driveways we get into with as many as 6 other buses would make a gas station look like a 40 acre field. So I guess I come to this with a bit different perspective.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #25

Quote:
I understand your problem and do sympathize. But in reality most Fuel tankers are the same setup as your MH ie. a straight truck followed by a trailer. This is also very dicey to backup. The one-trailer semi type are backable but that is a very tough thing in a busy gas station.

As a temp job to keep me busy I drive a 45 ft Motorcoach for Holland America Princess in Alaska during some summer seasons. There isnt much about driving your type of vehicle that I don't understand. And some of the Hotel driveways we get into with as many as 6 other buses would make a gas station look like a 40 acre field. So I guess I come to this with a bit different perspective.
You guys driving those tour buses amaze me.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #26

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
This is great as long as you don't mind paying the $0.30 to $0.60 more per gallon than other stations that are not truck stops. (This is for Diesel)

The truck stops have priced diesel artificially high for "Drive In" customers. They give big discounts to companies like Comdata and large trucking companies which brings their true "net" price down to competitive levels with other stations. Some of these discounts depending on the contract and station can be as much as $1.00/gallon (And by other stations I don't mean Pilot or TA or Loves, but other non truck stop stations.

Learn to get your rig into places it will easily fit and save yourself a lot of money.
Maybe in Oregon?
In the midwest the local stations providing Diesel, lots of Diesel pickup trucks off the interstate highway system country.
You might see a 10 cent difference higher or lower then the Flying J Pilot Loves , Speedway chains along the interstates.
Like Shell
Speedway
Marothon
BP.
Kroger
Meijer
Liberty
Circle C
Most all not only along the interstates but servicing very rural areas also.
We do use them all but have never seen the price difference that you speak of.
In fact some Speedway truck stops in Ohio are hard to beat for pricing.
Anyplace.
HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Maybe in Oregon?
In the midwest the local stations providing Diesel, lots of Diesel pickup trucks off the interstate highway system country.
You might see a 10 cent difference higher or lower then the Flying J Pilot Loves , Speedway chains along the interstates.
Like Shell
Speedway
Marothon
BP.
Kroger
Meijer
Liberty
Circle C
Most all not only along the interstates but servicing very rural areas also.
We do use them all but have never seen the price difference that you speak of.
In fact some Speedway truck stops in Ohio are hard to beat for pricing.
Anyplace.

I am unsure about your reference to Oregon???

I have full timed for more than 4 years traveling every state west of MD. including Alaska. We watch diesel fuel prices very carefully and I can tell you without doubt that the big truck stops are as much as 20, 30,40 cents and even a dollar more expensive DEPENDING on the state.

Part of the problem with Diesel prices is the Fed Fuel tax for diesel is 24.4 cents per gallon compared with 18.4 for gasoline. So diesel has to overcome a SIX cent advantage in tax to just be equal with gas. Traditionally (an rightly so) diesel, has for most of my life, been cheaper than gasoline. That has changed in the last ten years.

Keep in mind as I said before the posted prices at truck stops are artificially high. There is very little real competition anymore in the truckstop business. They give huge discounts to Comdata and big Trucking companies bringing the price down substantially for their biggest customers. So a ten cent difference from Flying J to the local station is not a deal. the price on the sign is a "Walk In" price for those unlucky enough to not understand the way the fuel prices are set and have no discount available to them.

So while I was hauling RV's for Horizon delivering them to dealers we got the Comdata discount which was as much as 85 cents and sometimes a dollar off the price on the sign. This actually brought the price at the big truck stop down to what some of the local stations were selling it at or a bit lower.

Note: for those that do not know Comdata is a huge financial company that deals with transportation pay and money movement. Most truck drivers are given a Comdata card which buys fuel and which their pay is deposited to. It works like a debit card. As a company that moves Billions of dollars they get big discounts on many things. And other companies are catching on and using Comdata for their employees now too.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #28

BTFT: I think he referred to Oregon because that is what you have listed in your Profile.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas