Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
The OP's fear of enough room in stations is overblown entirely,

Remember that at EVERY station a Double tanker semi gets in to fill the tanks. Also semis from food and drink distributors also maneuver in.

My truck and trailer equal 53 feet overall and I have yet to find a station I cannot fit into and get out of with ease.

His toad unless it is very large most likely turns withing or very closely to the tire tracking of the MH because of it's small wheelbase and narrow track. Therefore it is not the huge factor that he may feel it is.
Stale thread, but, agreed. I've gotten into some situations where I had to back up while towing, but none of them were in gas stations or truck stops. With our prior class A gasser and our smaller diesel class C, whether towing or not, I've never had problems getting fuel.

Never let your fuel situation force you into having to try to squeeze into a tight spot. Always have a few extra miles in the tank, and move on to the next station, if you can't get into the one you're at.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #44

I can show you some where I live that you could never get in!
revbucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbucco View Post
I can show you some where I live that you could never get in!
You probably can, and I could show you some that I can't get into either, but that's not the point of this thread, nor what I said in my post.

I said I can always find a station or truck stop that I can get into, or I leave enough fuel so that I don't have to try, if it's not going to work.

"I've never had problems getting fuel".

Next.....
Old 04-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
I drive a 38’ Mountain Aire pulling a Chevy Equinox, since I like to save as much as possible on our gas bill I got a Murphy Gas credit card where I get a $.05 discount per gallon at all Walmart gas stations. I don’t have problems getting in and out of those locations, I just take my time. Usually there is one pump on the end that is fairly easy in and out. Also Shell offers discount cards just by signing up and most of them are fairly easy in and out, maybe you need to find a more maneuverable unit or find an empty parking lot and practice driving between the lines until you can drive your motorhome.
Take a look on Google maps at the station in Granbury, TX.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #47

I like my pickup truck and fifth wheel setup which includes a 100 gal aux fuel tank in the truck bed. I rarely need to buy fuel during any trips, especially if the trip is less than 1300 miles. Sorry to brag.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Since we get a discount at flying J or Pilot stations I used to seek them out. I have discovered the proper technique is to slowly drive buy the station and see if you can get into the pumps and out without a lot of grief. If it is a know I head into the truck parking and turn around to find a better station. It seems to me the new Love's Travel Stops seem to have the most room at the gas pumps for my A with toad. The older Pilots are the worst and a few of the Flying J's have RV Gas Islands. But only a few. My suggestion is the same. Drive slowly buy and look for your self. I have been lucky but in 6 years of pulling a toad I have not been blocked in one time. I have never unhooked etc. I do feel your pain and do not trust any mapping program to use what you need to use, common sense.

Tow Dolly with Mini Cooper Countryman R60
OldWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskabev View Post
Our friends who run a toad say they almost always have to unhooking, gas up and hook back up
Send them a link to this thread.

We pull a RAV-4 on a tow dolly and have never unhooked to get into or out of anything.

We came close once, though. We pulled into a station / truck stop and after gassing we thought we could go straight thorough to the truck parking behind it. But when we cleared the end of the building we encountered a concrete parking barrier about 6" tall. After uttering most of the profane words I know in combinations never used before or since, I noticed a break in the barrier near one end that I thought I could get through. There was a big truck parked on the other side of it. This was among our first trips out, and we were still learning, but with some creative angling I got out and learned this thing's a lot more maneuverable than I expected.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #50

gas stations

As you probably know it depends on what part of the country you are in. Some routes have more convenient stations than others. Seeing the station via Google satellite is an excellent idea and filling when you are about 1/2 full. We also use the apps ParkAdvisor and RV Parky to find stations. In the future I plan to use that satellite idea to check out Costco gas stations.
Pam Robison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #51

Gas stations

On the border of Henderson and boulder city sits railroad pass which now has a huge fuel station. Easy in and out. Outside las vegas.
Ndjerry69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #52

Truck stop?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #53

Gas Buddy to find the best prices, especially when stops are few and far between. Google Maps to see layout of station, and if I can get TV & 37' 5er in and out.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #54

I understand the point that the OP was trying to make. We have a 32 foot Forest River Sunseeker class C (gasoline) and frequently tow a 22 foot race car trailer. While I can (and do) back that rig up, fuel stops take careful planning. My favorite places to stop are Flying J with RV fueling lanes. Many (but not all) Flying J truck stops have RV fueling lanes. The Pilot/Flying J app on my iPhone previously listed RV amenities (such as RV fueling lanes, propane, dump stations, etc.) but I can no longer find that information on the app.

Many truck stops (especially here in the northeast) do not have gas pumps that fit my 60 foot rig comfortably without blocking the whole place, or provide enough maneuvering room. Google Maps with satellite view is good but Google Earth is even better to look at a fuel stop before arrival to see what kind of room there is around the gasoline pumps. The end islands are usually the ones I go for.

We travel a few times every year from our home in South Jersey to race my grandson’s quarter midget cars in Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. A big chunk of this trip is on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Most of the rest stops on the PA turnpike do not have gas pumps that are convenient for our rig. But there are a couple, and we have them memorized.

Another consideration is that when we spend a long weekend “dry camping” at the race track, we usually have the onboard generator running 24/7, mostly for the air conditioning in the Sunseeker, This necessitates a gas stop just before reaching the race track because the generator gets its fuel from the motorhome tank.

A little advance planning always goes a long way for us.
MarkK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #55

I was in Granbury, TX last October and fueled, my brother lives there. I pulled into the far right side pump, got 57 gal. and pulled out with toad behind and followed my brother. It’s not a problem if you know how to drive the vehicle. I know not everyone is not qualified to drive their toad, but they insist on buying something they know nothing about and are totally lost as soon as they get off the 12’ lanes of the interstate.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I haven't looked but doesn't GasBuddy show places for big rigs?
Gas buddy shows all gas prices near you we have just covered 14000 miles from west coast to east coast and back using gas buddy for fuel
promaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas