RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #1

Finding Gasoline Stations

Eversince buying a MH and pulling a toad, I have noticed how hard it is to get gasoline. It is not that there is a lot a gas stations, but the gas stations even along interstates are not built for gas MH maneuvering espeicliy with toads. When we had a diesel truck and a 5th wheel it was never a problem as all truck stops were made to handle big rigs in the truck lanes. Now I have to cross my fingers that I will have enough room to maneuver when ever I stop to get gasoline. Comments. This is starting to take out some of the fun traveling in our MH always worrying about finding the right gas stations that I can maneuver in.

dphillipssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

Google Maps is your friend. Satellite view or street view shows exactly what to expect before you go there.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

I use google maps all the time. I set up my route and then look for stations according to my mileage. Then google the view. Sometimes I fuel up earlier just because the gas station has room for me to pull in and out. I pull a 30 foot toy hauler.
A lot of truck stops now have gas pumps in the truck lanes.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Dom

I try to use Flying J or Pilot. Most stations are are set up similar. Some even have a dedicated MH lane. If not I come in close to store part, parallel to store then swing , drivers side to last pump. As its the last pump, there is a lot of swing room.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
We generally seek out Flying J stations They have an app, MyPilot. We use this to find the next Flying J that has RV lanes.

Flying-J and Pilot are owned by the same company. Most Flying J have RV lanes, and there are also a few Pilots that have RV lanes. Check the app.

On our last trip, we used Buc'ees a couple times. They don't have RV lanes, but there was plenty of room to get the MH and toad in and out with no problem.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
dphillipssr-

"Next Exit" book has RV-suitable stations printed in red. They also offer a Web site.

We plan our stops. We use Garmin's BaseCamp software to find stations, then Google Maps with Street View to select the ones we want. If there is any question about entry or exit, I'll print the Google Maps overhead view and review it before taking off, plus have a backup gas stop candidate in mind.

We favor the Flying Js, Pilots, Love's and TAs. You may pay more, but it is worth it to us to get easier pump access. Note that some of these have congested gas pump areas.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We generally seek out Flying J stations They have an app, MyPilot. We use this to find the next Flying J that has RV lanes.

Flying-J and Pilot are owned by the same company. Most Flying J have RV lanes, and there are also a few Pilots that have RV lanes. Check the app.

On our last trip, we used Buc'ees a couple times. They don't have RV lanes, but there was plenty of room to get the MH and toad in and out with no problem.
We do the same thing. However i have had to turn around and not use a few of the pilots or flying j's due to crowds or just not enough room. Thats why I start looking for fuel when i hit half a tank. And i use the apps on my phone for all the stations listed Love's, pilot/flyingj etc.. They will have a list of stations close to your gps location and they also list amenities, overnight rv parking, etc...
Suprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #8

It is more complicated than just pulling into a station, that's for sure. If I can't see an easy exit route I just move on the the next station. I guess that's why I get gas before I get down to half a tank.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

I haven't looked but doesn't GasBuddy show places for big rigs?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At a half tank I start looking.

I never ever use any truck stop places. I watch down the road for a station near an exit and if it looks like I can fit in with my Class A and toad I go into it.

I don't care what the price of gas is, I'm more interested in maneuverability and avoiding all the cellphone people who could ram the side of my RV. We've already been hit by one texter.

So just keep you eyes peeled and you'll spot places that are easy. I now know all my gas stops in all the western states and I10 from California to Florida.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #11

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
We have been pulling trailers, driving farm trucks, gas and diesel, motorhomes gas and diesel since 1966. As we had farms in kansas and Ohio, Indiana .

Number 1 rule always
( Never fuel up close to a city. )
We fill up before or after, maybe 30 miles out in a so called rural area.
Shell, marathon , BP, Kroger's .
When on the interstate Flying J.
Pilot, Loves.
Usually easy in and out with light traffic.

You have to figure semi fuel trucks deliver to all these. Also pop and beer trucks are in and out.

I dont google. But I like the idea.
HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #12

Not many choices around Vegas for diesel......found Henderson has a few station that carry it.....gonna visit one there in 2 weeks...found it using Gasbuddy, then looked it up on laptop....
Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #13

Ditto on the Flying Js and Google Maps Satellite View. Most of the Flying Js have RV lanes with gas off to the side and have plenty of room to maneuver and often room to park and have lunch. I've found in the south the old Marathon stations have pumps parallel to the road and are then easy in and out (usually). On our route to an from FL we've compiled a list of easy gas stops on Google Docs. If you have Allstays you can filter the gas stations. Clicking on a particular Flying J will bring up info telling you if it has RV lanes. Hppe that helps.
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

You can go on the big chain truck stop websites and come up with the interstate locations along your route.

I sometimes will also look at Gas Buddy online to see which cities have the least expensive fuel. It's not that hard to figure out which stations have room to maneuver in.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas