Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Finding parks on iPhone

We're total newbies to the lifestyle, picking up our first motor home tomorrow. I just downloaded an app from RVParking.com to find parks. It's utilitarian but works. Very limited number of review, photos, etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of a better or more popular one.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I use http://campgroundreviews.com/ .There are lots of parks with reviews and you can give yours as well.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
In the 'RV Travel' section of my iPhone, I have the following apps:

- Park Maps - allows you to download the nice maps that they give you when you enter a national park
- iRV2 forum app - of course!
- RV Park Finder - Good Sam directory on line
- All Stays Camp and RV - nice map view of surrounding area
- All Stays Rest Stops
- Woodalls
- All Stays Wal Marts
- Trip Weather

The book we swear by is called 'The Next Exit' which tells you what is at every interstate exit - gas stations, restaurants, WalMarts, attractions, etc. Don't know if there is a app for that yet.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just go to the navigation/mapping app that is automatically installed. On the Android system it's google maps. Then where I type in to look for a business I type in "RV park resort campground" it pulls up almost all the ones within a certain distance around where I am at. I find all kinds of mom and pops parks that are not usually listed in rvparkreviews. We find one that we think we might want and drive by, usually we stop but there were one or 2 that we have just driven on by and gone to another. We have not been disappointed yet but mostly pleasantly surprised as the wonderful service and price.
One park we stopped at was telling us that Good Sam had wanted them to become part of their network but they were told that they had to increase the price first in order to give the GS discount. They just decided to not get involved with them and keep their $20 price.

EDIT: One app I would suggest is "My DAT Trucker Services" that app not only shows almost all truck stops but also rest areas and walmarts
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My wife uses iExit on her iPhone. Works great to find what's coming up. Plenty of good camping apps, but haven't found one that has everything. Also +1 for the Allstays Wal-Mart app.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

I second IEXIT. I think it is the app version of Next Exit. It is much easier to use than the paper book. However, you must have phone service to utilize it but that is not normally a problem along the interstate.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

Allstays is my goto app. It will show you rest areas, walmarts, gas stations with diesel as well as campgrounds, state parks, etc.

It is so helpful, we often use it when not camping. You can find campgrounds and then actually call right from the app. You can see reviews and even the weather at the campsite all without leaving the app. I haven't found that we need anything else. It will even tell whether the Walmarts have fuel or allow overnights. And...you can use the map feature in the app to drive to the destination. It's well worth the cost.
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #8

I have them all on my iPhone and iPad. By FAR the best one is Allstays Camp & RV. I use it for any kind of RV trip planning or just finding a campground last minute. No other app comes close to their database and ease of use.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #9

On the Iphone or IPad, the next exit app is called "IEXIT". It is great. I use it when not in the MH.
John777Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
What I don't like about the all stays app is that it doesn't seem to like the lookup where it says "enter city". It always says "can't find" or zooms to a picture of the whole USA. I seem to only be able to scroll by state and then select the city If I type in the city name it never works. I've tried this on 4 different devices. It will use location services (GPS) to find nearby options.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
What I don't like about the all stays app is that it doesn't seem to like the lookup where it says "enter city". It always says "can't find" or zooms to a picture of the whole USA. I seem to only be able to scroll by state and then select the city If I type in the city name it never works. I've tried this on 4 different devices. It will use location services (GPS) to find nearby options.
I only have that problem is I don't enter the city name followed by a comma and than the state. Try that, see if that fixes it.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekai View Post

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that 1) I have a truck camper and camp a lot in it, and 2) those are indeed my favorite apps for finding camping places.
I didn't mean to imply anything about it, I was just curious.
For myself I prefer a single app that combines multiple search options instead of buying separate apps for each search category. That's why I bought the all stays camp and RV app that was all inclusive than their separate category apps. Everyone prefers different options and brands, good luck with your version.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #13

I use many of the above apps on my iPhone. Here are a couple more to add to the list:

I use Gas Buddy to find the best price on gas. Between that and my PENFED credit card (5% cash back), I have saved a bunch of money.

Mobile RVing-don't use it much but it's there.

C-RV Military for military campgrounds.

RV Checklists is good for newbies.

Finally Camp Recipes by Coleman can be a fun app. I have used some recipes when dry camping at NASCAR events.

Thanks for starting and contributing to this thread, I saw a couple of apps I want to check out.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #14

I have a ton of RV related apps on my iPad, many are from "Allstays" and "iExit". The one I use the most is "Allstays Camp & RV".
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote