Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Finding RV parks

I know we have a campground section, but what do u use to find them, something on the computer?

I'm so old I fart dust!
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
"Google Search RV Parks in the area
This isn't everything but its a start

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The iRV2 campground section is very user UNfriendly which is why most use the sites previously given....
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
We typically go directly to the state parks webpages for each state or the National Parks Service website to find campgrounds, but be advised - we don't stay in RV parks so those sites might not give you what you are looking for.
1975 VW Westfalia camper
2104 Rockwood A122 A-frame
WrongWayRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
What we usually do is first decide where we want to go, and then bring up Google, Yahoo, or Bing maps (whatever you prefer) to get an idea of routing. We usually drive between 250 & 350 miles a day. So then we try and find a zip code for an area we want to stop. Then we go to RV Park Reviews :: Campground Search put in the zip code, then enter the criteria we want and search for parks. Usually, you will find great reviews, just keep in mind to check to see how many reviews a person has made. If only one or two it may be a parks employee, so read all the reviews.
We have had very good luck doing this.
Enjoy your travels!
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Your question is one that most of us campers have tried to deal with for a long time. As mentioned above, it depends on the type of camping you plan to do. We rely on a software package "Trailer Life Campground Navigator" that has a pretty complete campground listing for the U.S. as well as a trip planner with map. Pretty easy to pick a destination, plan the route and select from available campgrounds along the route and at the destination. The map works with a GPS antenna on your laptop for turn by turn directions if needed. Cost about $40 in 2009. The antenna is an extra from Amazon. This package gives route grades in % and identifies difficult and "to avoid" exits.

We use RVparking.com as an iPad app that is pretty good locating available campgrounds in a selected area. This is a free app.

We frequently use recreation.gov for federal campgrounds. This is a good site and you can make reservations usually up to six months out. Read the cancelation policy however.

There a lot of other stuff, but this package serves us about 80% of the time.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes we look at RV Park Reviews just to see what the last review said. But to find campgrounds I just go on the phone while we are driving and when we are close to stopping I will bring up Google Maps that was already installed on my phone. Then in the search box I will type in "RV park campground resort" or some variation of those words. It pulls up way more rv parks then the reviews site and it will also pull up any reviews that were/are posted on the intranet about them. I can see where they are along the route and have the phone number available to call if I wanted to.

But if what you are trying to find are low cost parks then you can check these sites:

As you can see I also put a site on there that lists places that are NOT friendly to RVs.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
The iRV2 campground section is very user UNfriendly which is why most use the sites previously given....

rather "user hostile"

I use the RV Navigator by Trailer Life to plan trips; the operative word being PLAN. It give a host of CG's to pick from. Ii then use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ to check out reviews on CG's in the area I'll be stopping. I also check my Passport America book to see if any are member parks for a 1 night stop.

Additionally as part of my planning, I review the mapping the program provides. I check all non-interstate highways with my truckers atlas to insure I won't come across any surprises along the way. I have even used Google Earth to check the type of roads the mapping shows. No way will I ever plug an address into my GPS and blindly follow it.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I use the Allstays iPad app. Once loaded, you don't need wifi to access.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
The "Allstays Apps" on our phones and tablets is our primary GOTO place to look for campgrounds, RV service, parking and dump info etc This app will provide the link to the specific web site, tel Number, the link to directions and to bring up the map and GPS system on your phone/tablet etc.

The "iexit" app usefull also but this is obviously only used for Interstate highway travel. Many times we are not on an Interstate road.

DW/Navigator does all of the lookups while we are rolling and sets the GPS to the selected destination.

We also subscribe to "overnightrvparking" and download all States and Provinces. (cost about $25 per year). The info there is helpful but it is presented in PDF format thus it is not interactive so a bit more effort is involved to scout the location with Google Earth and set the GPS. They often provide Lat & Long coordinates. I put many of these locations in the tablet/phone databases for quick references and lookup as required. Especially if we are heading into an area with unreliable cell service. Best to be self contained and not have to rely on any external connectivity in these circumstances.

(Use our tablets and phones for GPS also so it is easy to integrate any data fron the internet or from the device database to the GPS app.)

We most always scout places with google earth before we go out of our way and look at park reviews on the web.

Often we drive by a place where we like the view/location or whatever, and want to stay for the nite. We sometimes call the local police, give them our coordinates and ask if there is any problem staying there. We get the skinny from them re local ordinaces etc and sometimes a patrol car comes around for a visit and friendly chat.

We also use the "glympse" app for letting specific prople know where we are. Our children track our location all the time and if we are meeting someone, they get a specific map to our location or where to meet. But there are soooo many apps that do similar things.

We have come a long way from those foldout maps that my DW could NEVER fold back up the way they were unfolded - grrrrrr drove me nuts.

We still carry hard copy campground directories and an atlas, but most are outdated the date they were published, but good for backup in the event electronic system fails us.

Been Tenting since the 50's with my first popup in the 60's and later on several fully equipped TT's in the 60's and mid 70's and then MH's from C's to A's (both DPs) and now back to a B+ so we have gone through many iterations of travel rigs and indeed many travel guides but since the age of computers and the internet, things have been soooo much better (Well better in some ways - never used to lock our doors back in the day and those days we miss)

Used a Delorme GPS attachment to a laptop in the 90's and got my first stand alone GPS, a Garmin Street Pilot in 2000. But us geezers most certainly can relate to the changes the explosion of the internet since the 90's, smart phones etc have changed the way we live and get informed. And who nowdays does not know that almost any information can now be found on the internet. Just "Google It" and there it is.

I was an ARPANET and Compuserve user in the 80's but before the 80's we lived in a paper and snail mail world and we went to libraries to get informed.

Sorry for rambling, was on a roll and almost deleted this diatribe after I wrote it but thought, what the heck, why not share it with the group.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
I have started using an online product named at RVTRIPWIZARD.COM, a little different from the allstays, streets& trips and delmore products for planning. It is a subscription service ($35/year I believe). There catalog of campgrounds seems quite complete, it also allows you to prioritize campgrounds based on your memberships or discount clubs.
The developers have included some very nice features including putting markers in that indicate when you have reached your preferred daily distance or hours driven.

They do have demos and free trials available.

I am not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied user.

Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #12

Do they have an "APP" ?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
No, you just use your browser to use the product. It is totally reliant on you having an internet connection (but I guess most are).

As with most planning software you can print a comprehensive trip plan. The product also lists (when available) websites and phone numbers for the campgrounds listed.

Hope this helps
Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
RVparkreviews has served me well. Just put in a place you want to go to, how many miles radius you want to search around that area, what criteria you're looking for in a park and BOOM! There's a list. You get to visit the review page of each campground and evaluate.

dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote