RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Fire Extinguisher Check

The fellow who services the fire extinguishers in my machine shop was there this week. He checked to be sure they were full and had not been used. Then He tapped the extinguisher with a rubber mallet several times rolled it back and forth in his hands and shook heck out of it.
I knew about this but never think to do it on my own. The reason he does this is the contents are a dry chemical which over time can settle or become hardened from moisture which can form inside the powder chamber.
Today as I was getting ready to take my MH to storage for the winter I walked by the extinguisher by the door and it struck me. I haven't had it out of it's mounting bracket in a couple or more years and then it was only to check it to see it it was subject to a recall.
I took the extinguisher out of it's bracket and gave it the hammer treatment and shook it up like the serviceman did.
I'm only putting this on here as a reminder to those like me who can walk by something often and never give a thought about maintaining it.
I seriously hope no one ever needs to use their extinguisher but if they did it would be nice if it worked the way it was designed to for as long as it's supposed to.
If you don't know how to properly use a fire extinguisher or others traveling or staying with you aren't in the know take a few minutes and find out. You Tube has videos on the subject or you can stop by any fire station where any fireman will gladly assist you.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #2

I had tons of FF training in the A.F. I never thought about the contents doing that, and don't know if it's true or not? In theory it makes sense, practice is a different story.

TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

There was a thread here a few days ago about someone's friend's rv going up in flames on the side of I-87(NY Thruway) My brother and sister in-laws saw that fire as they were driving by and have since been all over my wife about having adequate fire extinguishers in the motorhome. She saw a recommendation somewhere for keeping one by the door(The usual place) One in the sleeping area ( I mounted that extinguisher inside the overhead compartment) and another in an outside unlocked compartment. So we now have 3 and there is once again peace in the valley
Old 10-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know in Oregon State campgrounds when I hosted that was to be done around the first of every month and the tag signed off.

My little OEM 2 pound (?) one just started to loose pressure and was able to get a 5 pounder installed in it place, I wanted a 10 but couldn't make it work. At the same time I found a place by the bed for one too.

EDIT: Never hit submit when the DW calls to dinner.

I have made it a habit of shaking and rolling them about 10 times at the first of month.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reminder Lynn!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #6

Invert a small extinguisher and bump it against a tire, you don't need to carry a rubber hammer.

Important!!! These small <5# fire "extinguishers" are not meant for, nor designed to put out a fire, they are for suppressing a fire enough for occupants to ESCAPE with their lives.
Once out, STAY out! If you are alive you can start over.

Then there is the subject of escape windows, sure you may break something if you fall; BUT which is the better choice hospital or morgue?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:44 AM   #7

I would think that it would be needed more in a RV. All that movin' and shakin' will settle and pack that nasty powder down harder.

Tags
fire