Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
True Halon should not be used in an occupied enclosed space. Its a toxic asphixiant to humans. You may not make it out.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #16

Having and knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is important, more important is having and knowing how to respond to a smoke/fire alarm. Anything purchased with money can be replaced with money. Human life, once extinguished, is gone forever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlettj View Post
One thing to remember... fire extinguishers are there to knock the fire down enough for you to get to safety. The smaller ones can't keep a hot fire down for long, to do that you have to remove the heat and fuel sources from the fire. Don't hang around in there after firing one off... use it to blast your way out! Don't risk any more smoke and toxic fume inhalation than you have to.
Thank you! Very few people know that about hand extinguishers, except for smoke-eaters.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Reading another thread here concerning escape windows raised another question. Have you inspected your fire extinguishers, yes plural, more than one. I bet the majority have not given them a second thought and worse yet only have the original undersized anemic one somewhere near the galley. Is it full and ready to use. Does everyone know how to release it, use it properly, where to aim it in a fire. Didn't think so.

An inspection and demonstration for everyone on board would be a great start to this 4th of July weekend. There are always a few campground clowns that have to play with fireworks, which increase the chances of mishaps. Take a few moments, you will be glad you did.
I have three of the small ones spaced throughout the coach as well a bigger one in a bay. All are check on a regular basis and yes we know how to use them.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Halon, is something I like to avoid, Been in a room protected by a Halon system after it went off, one time. Never again.

I have a "All-Fire" Foam unit by the bed
another about eye level as I exit the door (Which is next to the kitchen)

the little powder job Damon put in the house
and a 25 pounder behind the driver's seat.

Plus a pressurized water bottle (1.5 gallons) atop the propane tank along with 200 cubic feet of helium.

That last is not a fire extinguisher, but if it ever gets hot enough in that compartment to pop that bottle off. 200 cubic feet of non-reactive (inert) gas at near absolute zero (over 200 degrees below zero on the common scales) not a bad thing at all.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #19

Any suggestions how to stow 10lb fe in bay

I would like to stow a 10 lb FE in a Co-Pilot side Storage Bay but am unsure of the safest way to stow it.

Those things weigh a fair amount and I sure don't want it bouncing around in the Storage Bay.

On our Winnebago the bays appear to be fiberglass. I suspect if I need to drill holes for mounting hardware, I will need to seal those holes - suggestions for what to use also appreciated.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
True Halon should not be used in an occupied enclosed space. Its a toxic asphixiant to humans. You may not make it out.
Man can you say that again... And it hangs around too. Had a Halon system go off in the computer room where I worked (Sealed room, lots of alarms preeceded release) and it was like 2 weeks later I had to go into that room for about 10 seconds... Good thing it was not longer.

I have 4 extinguishers here. Two "All Fire" from Mac McCoy, the Factory job and a 25 pound powder job.

Right now 3 are real easy to grab. (Behind driver's seat and 2 by the door) the remaining is where I sleep.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ever used your RV fire extinguisher?

Looks like you are preaching to the choir based on the number of fire extinguishers you all have.

All who have used your FE in an RV please raise your hand. Mine is up.

MH was parked next to my garage as we were remodeling our kitchen. I was in the house and my wife, seated in her knitting room, asked “what was that beeping?” I couldn’t hear it so I walked outside and didn’t recognize what the beeping was. I walked around the garage and through the MH screen door I could see that the voltage monitor I had plugged into the GFCI outlet near the door was on fire. Flames were nearly up to the cabinets. Smoke from the burning plastic of the monitor, GFCI and its electrical box filled the MH and had set off the smoke alarm. I hit it with 3 quick bursts of dry chemical from the FE just inside the door and put it out easily. Had my wife not been home and had I been in the downstairs shop, I could have lost the house. I consider myself VERY lucky.

What happened? I had been running the generator to back feed the house during a power outage as I had many times before. When power was restored I stopped the generator and flipped the breakers on my house's panel back on. I forgot to unplug the connecting wire, sending 220 volts back through the transfer switch. That by itself should have not been a problem as I was sending 220 volts to the MH just as though I was plugged into a 50 amp campground service. Except I didn’t have a dedicated neutral as the genset only put out 110 volts. And, for some reason, the surge protector was set to bypass instead of the normal run position. Rookie mistake. The overvoltage only killed my DVD player and caused some minor issues with the TV. The reefer, converter, inverter and anything else running on 110 volts was unaffected.

I replaced the wood end panel under the countertop, replaced the outlet, box and 12 volt switches below and was able to sand the Corian countertop back to a presentable finish. We used a Green machine to clean the upholstery, washed the bedding and wiped all hard surfaces down with vinegar. We set out tubs of charcoal to absorb any remaining odors. I has to vacuum soot from the ceiling. Within a week the odor had disappeared.

I now have a new 2.5 pound FE next to the door and a 5 pounder in the bedroom as well as a small one in the towed Jeep. And we got everything repaired and cleaned up in time to leave on a 10,000 mile road trip a week later.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #22

Just picked up brand new extinguishers and replaced the old ones. Cheap insurance. AND yes after owning a salvage yard for the past 40 or so years I have seen my share of burnt RV's. Folks,,, they don't do well in a fire.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #23

A few years back while driving on interstate, I saw a car along side of the interstate on fire....I pulled over to render assistance. The woman kept yelling "my dog...my dog". If I had a fire extinguisher in the car, I might have been able to try to rescue the dog......well, dog died and from that day on, I always carried a fire extinguisher in the car.
It is a good idea to have a fire extinguisher at another location that you can get at with out having to put yourself in harms way.

The suggestion to have a fire extinguisher in the bedroom is a very good one......I am planning to do that very thing.....thanks.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #24

x2 on keeping another extingusher in the toad and in the bedroom. Also for the bedroom:

Loading zoom

View large image
Car Auto Window Glass Breaking Safety Emergency Break Hammer
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Testing fire extinguishers

My experience in Michigan (and I admit I may be wrong) is that when a certified fire service company tests a fire extinguisher they want to take a perfectly good one which reads in the green on the gage, empty it then refill and recharge it. Usually costing more than a new one, at least in the smaller sizes. I think it is a scam in the guise of fire safety. After all, who dares to challenge fire safety? Please educate me in the mechanics of a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote