Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #1

Fire Extinguishers

Reading another thread here concerning escape windows raised another question. Have you inspected your fire extinguishers, yes plural, more than one. I bet the majority have not given them a second thought and worse yet only have the original undersized anemic one somewhere near the galley. Is it full and ready to use. Does everyone know how to release it, use it properly, where to aim it in a fire. Didn't think so.

An inspection and demonstration for everyone on board would be a great start to this 4th of July weekend. There are always a few campground clowns that have to play with fireworks, which increase the chances of mishaps. Take a few moments, you will be glad you did.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #2

We carry a 2 1/2 in the drivers area, a 2 1/2 in the bedroom, and a five pounder in the passenger bay in front of the battery compartment. We have a prop stick for the emergency window and my wife has used the window on concrete with no problems! Norcold has been changed to Amish CU.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #3

How many extinguishers should we carry and where? What size? What type?

These questions come to mind after watching the YouTube videos of RV fires. In many of the videos the owner and maybe a bystander or two empty their extinguishers into the flames, then stand back to wait for the fire department. Even the fire hoses seem to have little effect once the flames are established.

Has anyone seen insurance statistics on source/cause/location of RV fires?

Thoughts on preventing them?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The BEST information regarding fire extinguishers, type and how many, can be found at the web site for Mac The Fire Guy.

He's the BEST!

My Business - Home

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent advice! Below is a post I did some time ago about RV fire safety that some newbies on here may not have seen. Kind of long but you can pick and choose the parts you are interested in.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/the-a...tc-140537.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
At least 2 5lb ABC multi purpose FE's. One in the bedroom is a must. Visuall inspect monthly the needle needs to be in the green. One a year it should be inspected by a qualified service company. 2 smoke detectors are a good idea also. Pratice your escape plan at night.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

Excellent suggestion to practice escape at night. Where do you keep your keys? If they are up front, how do you get back in or into the compartments or into the toad? Just a thought.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
At least 2 5lb ABC multi purpose FE's. One in the bedroom is a must. Visuall inspect monthly the needle needs to be in the green. One a year it should be inspected by a qualified service company. 2 smoke detectors are a good idea also. Pratice your escape plan at night.
I'd like to add that once a year the FE needs to be turned upside down and bumped with a rubber mallet.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Should inspect them monthly. Actually take them out, shake them, if you have something like a tire stick, whack them on the bottom 3-4 times, shake and put back in the cradle.
We have to do that as part of our monthly safety inspections on our rigs.
To use them, remember the word PASS
Pull pin....
Aim (at base of fire)
S Squeeze trigger
S Sweep the spray side to side.

It's also a good idea to educate any passengers on location and use before departure and do a safety brief with them of what to do in the event of an emergency.

We are required to do this before every trip departure.
Takes about 2-3 minutes but can save lives.

Example: If your rig stalls on a RR track, do you stay in or get out? If you evacuate how far is safe? If you heard a train coming do you evacuate toward the train or away from it?

If you said away from it, you are WRONG

You evacuate toward the sound of the train in which it is coming from, at least 150 ft away. When the train impacts with your rig, it becomes a flying debris field going in millions of pieces in the direction of travel.

Anyway, safe travels everyone!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The BEST information regarding fire extinguishers, type and how many, can be found at the web site for Mac The Fire Guy.

He's the BEST!

My Business - Home

Dr4Film ----- Richard
thanks for the link to that site. I've been looking for a good quality foam extinguisher that can be engine compartment mounted, as well as a handheld version to replace the two inside

- Randy
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I ran boats at sea I always had two 5 lbs near the helm, did you no good to get to a fire with no way to put it out. On boats we had to have the fire extinguishers inspected yearly .
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post

Thanks for the link to that site. I've been looking for a good quality foam extinguisher that can be engine compartment mounted, as well as a handheld version to replace the two inside

- Randy
Randy,

I bought all of my fire extinguishers from Mac.

AFFF foam for the engine.
Halon for the fridge, which that one is now in the inverter/charger compartment (no more RV fridge, Yahoo!)
4 Cold-Fire portable hand units for inside the coach and car.

The two ABC chemical ones are now stored inside my cargo trailer. They can be used for the BBQ or campfires.

He is very knowledgeable and will talk you through what you need.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #13

One thing to remember... fire extinguishers are there to knock the fire down enough for you to get to safety. The smaller ones can't keep a hot fire down for long, to do that you have to remove the heat and fuel sources from the fire. Don't hang around in there after firing one off... use it to blast your way out! Don't risk any more smoke and toxic fume inhalation than you have to.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As a full timer, we can't afford to be casual about fire safety. We carry the manufacturer's dry chemical, two 2 liter foam and one 10lb haylon extinguisher in the front and two 2 liter foam, and one 10 lb haylon in the rear of the coach, plus two 2 liter foam in the outside tool box of our 4x4 Dakota pickup.

After seeing an RV go up in flames and taking Mac's fire safety course twice, we want to have a good chance to escape in the event of a fire. We have fire drills and carry 24" dowel rods to prop the escape windows open, if we ever have to use them.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote